An experimental art ‘potpourri’ involving techniques of drawing, collage, opaque and transparent glazing (painting), layering and then even more overlaying, cutting and dividing. inspired by nature.
pencils – graphite, charcoal, pastel, oil, coloured; soft pastels, impasto gel (acrylic medium), netting, papers – rice, cartridge; natural processed fibres – bagasse (from sugar cane stems); water-based screen-print ink.
300gsm Arches rag paper, size 385 × 285 mm
(Original sheet size 770 × 570 mm divided into quarters.)
Image = Top right hand side panel of four.
- ‘Collage with Traditional Mediums’ (18 Nov.2013)
- VISUAL TEXTURE GROUP (1 Dec.2013)
- ABSTRACT ART (6 Dec.2013)
- ! Inspired Art ! (14 Dec.2013)
- From the Group Exhibition: Cross Currents, 2002, Sugarama Gallery, Mourilyan, QLD.
- Previously Exhibited: 2002-03, Year of the Outback DPI Flying Arts; Selected work for Flying Arts TOURING Exhibition Regional QLD.
- In artist’s collection.
Overall compositional imagery was inspired/influenced from nature drawing/painting studies direct from my local surrounding Far North Queensland tropical environment such as the capturing of:
- undulating strata layers, rhythms and patterns from the telling timeline surfaces of palm tree trunks
- Leaves – both actual and implied: of leaf fall, Native Hibiscus Tiliaceus (cottonwood) dried leaves plus others
- Palm seeds
- Butterflies and wings – both actual and implied: of the Cairns Birdwing and other
- Seasonal atmospheric elements and Moon cycles
- Earthy oxide palettes – of red iron, Indian red, yellow ochre, white, terra-verte, charcoal and blue – of soils, sands, sky, barks, plants, leaves etc.
- Vessel shapes based on my own fibre receptacle forms
- Symbology plays an overall important role in the total work.