This is the Christ Church Cathedral as seen from the Old Railroad Bridge in Fredericton, New Brunswick. It sits on the banks of the beautiful Saint John River.
The original painting is oil on canvas and was sold to a very happy buyer.
Bishop John Medley arrived in Fredericton on June 19, 1845; the newly appointed bishop to the See of Fredericton the 40 year old Medley immediately set about planning for construction of a magnificent new cathedral. Christ Church Cathedral was modeled after St. Mary’s, Snettisham, Norfolk. Today, the two cathedrals bear remarkable similarities to each other. The architectural style, imitating from another building, is known as “Revived Gothic”.
The cornerstone for the building was laid on October 15, 1845 by Lieutenant Governor Sir William Colebrooke. The service of consecration marking the official opening of the Cathedral would not take place until August 11, 1853, almost eight years later.
The tower of the Cathedral was the last major part to be constructed. The original plans called for a twin tower design, but soaring construction costs led to the choice of a single tower. The original design was published in the Illustrated London News in 1849.
On July 3, 1911, lightning struck the Cathedral and the resulting fire gutted the spire and destroyed the choir when the bells melted and fell to earth. It took over a year and $100,000 to rebuild the Cathedral. On August 12, 1912, Bishop Richardson led a rededication service for the restored building. The newly constructed spire rose to 198 feet.
In 1983, the Cathedral was declared a National Historic Site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.