A 3 shot image processed in Photomatix Pro.
Worthing Pier is a pier in Worthing, West Sussex, England. Designed by Sir Robert Rawlinson, it was opened on 12 April 1862 and remains open. The pier originally was a simple promenade deck 960ft (291m) long and 15ft (4.6m) wide. In 1888 the pier was upgraded with the width increased to 30ft (9.2m) and the pier head increased to 105ft (32m) for a 650-seat pavilion to be built. It is a grade II listed building.
The first Moving Picture Show in Worthing was shown on the pier on 31 August 1896 and is commemorated today by a blue plaque.In 1897 a steam ship began operation between Worthing Pier and the Chain Pier in Brighton, twelve miles to the east.
In March 1913 the pier was damaged in a storm, with only the southern end remaining, completely cut off from land. A rebuilt pier was opened on 29 May 1914.
In September 1933 the pier and all but the northern pavilion were destroyed by fire. In 1935 the remodelled Art Deco pier was opened, and it is this that remains today.
Worthing Pier was sectioned in 1940 for fear of German invasion after the retreat at Dunkirk. A large hole was also blown in the pier to prevent it being used as a possible landing stage in the event of invasion.
The pier is owned by Worthing Borough Council (formerly the Worthing Corporation).