A 3 Shot HDR processed in Photomatix Pro
The current lock, that was opened in 1653, has a large grey dressed stone incorporated into the structure which was brought here from Henry VIIIs palace at Oatlands near Weybridge after it had been demolished in 1650. This was a common practice of the time as building materials were extremely expensive and most of the locks have materials sourced in the same way, and quite commonly Tudor bricks. Many of the ecclesiastic buildings suffered a similar fate after the Dissolution with them being systematically stripped for local building projects. Both Waverley Abbey and Newark Priory along the course of the Wey suffered at the hands of scavenger builders.
The lock-keeper’s cottage was built in 1882 replacing an earlier one.