|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Fuji Fs100 Tripod Mounted
Processed In Photomatix Pro, and CS3.
The Fitzalan Chapel is located within the eastern end of the church building constructed on the western grounds of Arundel Castle. This church building is one of the very few church
buildings that is currently divided into two worship spaces, one Catholic and one Anglican,
with the western side of the church building occupied by Saint Nicholas Church, Arundel.
The original Fitzalan Chapel consisted of the entire building, and was built in 1380 by commission of Richard FitzAlan, 11th Earl of Arundel, whose family owned Arundel Castle. It
is an example of Perpendicular Gothic architecture, and the architect and mason is believed to have been William Wynford. A number of noted Fitzalan and Howard family members are buried in the chapel, many in tombs adorned with sculpted effigies. Most of the recently deceased Dukes of Norfolk are buried there.
The chapel was badly damaged in 1643 during the siege of Arundel Castle by the Parliamentarians’ cannons during the English Civil War. It remained neglected throughout the 18th century. During this period, the Anglican parish was established in the western portion of the church building. Bernard Howard, 12th Duke of Norfolk is credited with initiating major repairs to the Fitzalan Chapel circa 1837, and his successors expanded and restored the chapel further.
Fitzalan Chapel is now vested in an independent charitable trust and It is currently open to the public by access from the castle grounds.