Canon Rebel T3i 600D – Corel Paintshop Pro X4
Woodman’s Circle is a most beautiful Art Deco (1930) mansion. It was built and homed widows in the main house and orphans in the Philadelphia house (long home to the side). There is a majestic Gazebo with an overlook, scenic drive up, big bay windows, sunroom on two floors, two huge ballrooms, and a large basement for the pipes. Unfortunately in the 70’s, the state mandated new electrical codes and the Forest Woodman’s Society for the Aged and Orphaned could not afford to rennovate the building to meet the regulated guidelines. They moved out (and took all of their belongings with them – so cancel all stories you hear of furniture, books, clothes, etc… in the building).
A Brief Timeline
1927 – The Supreme Woodmen’s Circle acquired land in Sherman, guided by early president Dora Alexander Talley.
1928 – Ground was broken on November 14th, and construction began.
1930 – The administration building was dedicated, and the home was opened with a handful of young residents, including Lee & Edith Carmichael and Edwin, Sadie, Robert & Lillian Puliam.
1931-1935 – More orphans moved into the home. By 1935, there were 50 children living there.
1948 – The number of children living in the home fell to 4. Only 8 more children were taken in from 1948 onward.
1965 – Only two children, Brandon and Sharon Moe, remained at the home. The founding organization merged into the Woodmen of the World insurance company.
1966 – The last new resident was accepted in July, 1966.
1971 – The Woodmen’s Circle Home closed, having sheltered more than 100 children, and 165 elderly. The home was purchased by a group of five attorneys.
1977 – 1980 – The property was leased by Dr. Ariel Sherman and New Life Tabernacle.
1990 – The remaining property was purchased by the current owners, David and Debbie McNees of the Resolution Trust Corporation.
1990s – A series of fires on the property cause many of the wood supports for roofs and upper floors to deteriorate.