Standing sentinel on a rock surrounded by the colors of summer, this dusky grouse female is on the lookout for predators that might go for her chicks which are rummaging for bugs and leaves just below.
They are not the brightest birds on the block and can be quite fiesty. I once tried to chase an aggressive male dusky grouse off the road near our house. He wouldn’t budge, and I finally threw a jacket over him, and tossed jacket + bird out in the sage. When I went to fetch the jacket, he was still acting like he was twice my size! Jackson Hole, Wyoming, USA. Canon 7D, ISO500, f5.6, 1/400, focal length 340mm, RAW.
- Birds! Birds! Birds!, August 2011
- 300+ Go Long, August 2011
- High Quality Animal Images, August 2011
- The Birds, August 2011
- Mother Nature’s Finest, August, 2011
- Nature In Its Entirely, August 2011
Thank you so much!