CANON EOS 450D
Dedicated to ALL that lost their lives at Sea,
The first white settlement on Martha’s Vineyard was established in 1642, and the early settler Thomas Mayhew called the area “Great Harbor.” The town’s spacious harbor is bounded by Chappaquiddick Island to the south and east.
Martha’s Vineyard, like Nantucket, developed a booming whaling industry in the late 1700s and early 1800s. Between them, Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard owned one quarter of America’s whaling fleet just before the Revolution. By the 1800s, more than 100 Edgartown men were captains of whaling ships. The magnificent houses built for these captains are still among the most beautiful in New England. The whaling industry was going strong in 1828 when Congress appropriated $5,500 and the federal government purchased a plot of land from Seth Vincent for $80 for the purpose of building a lighthouse at the entrance to Edgartown Harbor.
A two-story house with a lantern on the roof was built for about $4,000, with a fixed white light visible for 14 miles. The building was erected by a Mr. Bowker, working for contractor Winslow Lewis. The house had three rooms on the first floor and two on the second.