The original cross dated from the 14th century. This cross was replaced by a new one in 1476. It consisted of an octagonal pillar surmounted by a carved head and a crucifix on its top. The cross was gilded in 1603. It was damaged and broken up by the Parliamentarians during the Civil War in 1646. The head was saved and kept in the grounds of Sir John Cotgreave at Nesterleigh. The head and another possible fragments were rediscovered in the 19th century. They were used in a restoration of the cross which was erected near the Newgate in 1949. In 1975 the cross was moved to its present site, near to its original position.