Taken in Ontario Canada
Ball’s Falls, Ontario, also known as Balls Mills, Louthe Mills and Glen Elgin, is a historical ghost town located in what is now a part of Jordan in the Niagara region which dates back to the early 19th century It is now preserved as a conservation area operated by the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority.
The town was established as early as the 19th century by Jacob Ball, a United Empire Loyalist. After the American Revolution, Jacob and his family were forced from their home and potash works in New York. In 1783, the Ball family was granted land in Niagara on account of their allegiance to the British Crown. Jacob’s sons, John and George, received 1200 acres of land in Niagara in 1807. On this land stood two waterfalls, which are trademarks of the grounds today. The Ball brothers wasted no time starting business; they built a grist mill, a saw mill and a woolen mill at the falls. The town began flourishing with business and soon a blacksmith, tailor, weaver and butcher lived on the land. By 1852 the population of the town, then Glen Elgin, grew to 19 locals. In the late 1850s, the Great Western Railway was created and many industries moved away from Glen Elgin and chose to reside closer to the railway. Glen Elgin, the settlement that once was, became a historical ghost town. In 1962 Manly Ball sold the land to the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Area and the town which is currently called Balls Falls is now a historical tourist attraction.
CANON EOS 450D