Nice view of the Jesus-Marie Convent in Longueuil, Québec, Canada. Historic building.
In 1843, following the advice of Monsignor Ignace Bourget, bishop of the Montreal diocese, four teachers working at Longueuil decided to start a religious community. Eulalie Durocher, Melodie Dufresne, Henriette and Emelie Cere are the first Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary; Eulalie Durocher was the first superior under the name of Mother Marie-Rose.
The foundation of the community took place in the house of the “Fabrique”(factory ).at the northwest angle of Saint-Charles Street and the road to Chambly, The following year, in 1844, the nuns moved to the house of Louis Briquet, built in 1740; this building is the central part of the present convent.
This house was enlarged many times. Another story was added the same year, in 1844, at last, in 1851, the dormitory wing was built, following the plans of the famous architect, Victor Bourgeau. Since then, the convent kept the same general appearance that we see today.
Until 1953, the Ruisseau (brook) Saint-Antoine limited the convent ground to the west and then south.
The interior of the convent was completely renovated in 1984. It houses today the general administration of the community.