The Doulton Fountain is the largest terracotta fountain in the world, as well as the best surviving example of its kind. The fountain has been beautifully restored and relocated to the front of the People’s Palace.
The Doulton Fountain was gifted to the city by Sir Henry Doulton, and first unveiled at the Empire Exhibition held at Kelvingrove Park in 1888. The fountain was then moved to Glasgow Green in 1890.
A sculptural extravaganza, the fountain was designed to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee of 1887, and celebrate Britain’s Imperial achievements – the fountain is crowded with figurative groups representing Australia, Canada, India and South Africa.
The largest terracotta fountain in the world and the best surviving example of its kind, it has five tiers, is 46 feet high and 70 feet across the base – the third of the width of a football pitch.
The Royal Doulton name is well know around the world for the fine tableware and collectables produced by the company.