Stirlingshire landmarks featuring the Wallace Monument, Stirling Castle, Stirling Bridge & Robert the Bruce ~ 297 views
The history of Stirling is rich with legends and events from the figuire of William Wallace who fought and won the battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297 against an occupying English army, to the Battle of Bannockburn where Robert the Bruce’s defeat of another English army in June 1314 secured Scottish independence.
Stirlingshire or the County of Stirling (Scots: Coontie o Stirlin, Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Sruighlea) is a registration county of Scotland, based around Stirling, the former county town. It borders Perthshire to the north, Clackmannanshire and West Lothian to the east, Lanarkshire to the south, and Dunbartonshire to the south-west.
Until 1975 it was a county. Until the 1890s the county had two small exclaves: part of the parish of Logie, which was surrounded by Perthshire, and the parish of Alva, locally in Clackmannanshire. The Perthshire part of Logie was added to Stirlingshire, while Alva was annexed by Clackmannanshire.
In 1975 most of Stirlingshire was included in the Central Region, with Kilsyth and surrounding area becoming part of Strathclyde Region. Since 1996 the area of the former county has been part of the council areas of East Dunbartonshire, Falkirk, North Lanarkshire and Stirling.
The County Council of Stirling was granted a coat of arms by Lord Lyon King of Arms on September 29, 1890. The design of the arms commemorated the Scottish victory at the Battle of Bannockburn in the county. On the silver saltire on blue of St Andrew was placed the rampant red lion from the royal arms of Scotland. Around this were placed two caltraps and two spur-rowels recalling the use of the weapons against the English cavalry.