photography & research: The Creative Minds
Scotland, July 2010, featured in “1st Knight” & “Postcard Destinations”
In January 1746, following the Jacobite victory at the Second Battle of Falkirk, part of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s army under the command of Lord George Murray entered Falkirk through Bantaskine Port.
The Prince spent the night after the Battle in lodgings on the site now occupied by Dixons.
The same lodgings were occupied by the Duke of Cumberland shortly afterwards. The Battle is commemorated by the preserved stained glass windows on display in the Howgate Centre.
The stained glass windows, known as “The Soldiers of Fortune”, were originally installed in South Bantaskine House and show the Prince, Lord George and Sir John Drummond.