Location: Odeonsplatz Munich, Bavaria, Germany
The Munich Residenz (Münchner Residenz, Munich Palace) is the former royal palace of the Bavarian monarchs in the center of the city of Munich, Germany. The Residenz is the largest city palace in Germany and is open to visitors for its architecture and room decorations, and displays from the former royal collections.
Residenz Munich is a historical administrative palace, used by the Bavarian dukes, prince-electors, and kings from 1508-1918. As the city’s most impressive palace, Residenz became a residential and administrative palace for the regions’ rulers, from 1508-1918. Residenzstrasse side of the palace has richly decorated entrances, with latin texts above the entrance stating: “Justitia” and “Prudentia”…references to the cardinal virtues of “Justice” ja “Prudency”, fitting for this historical place of administration and law.
The complex of buildings contains ten courtyards and the museum displays 130 rooms. The three main parts are the Königsbau (near the Max-Joseph-Platz), the Alte Residenz (towards the Residenzstraße) and the Festsaalbau (towards the Hofgarten). A wing of the Festsaalbau contains the Cuvilliés Theatre since the reconstruction of the Residenz after World War II. It also houses the Herkulessaal (Hercules Hall), the primary concert venue for the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra. The Byzantine Court Church of All Saints (Allerheiligen-Hofkirche) at the east side is facing the Marstall, the building for the former Court Riding School and the royal stables.