Leicester, Welford Road Cemetery.
Carved face on a Victorian Monument.
Welford Road Cemetery is listed as a Park and Garden of Special Historic Interest (Grade II).
The Cemetery was opened in 1849, three years before the first of the Burials Acts of 1852-57. It was designed by J R Hamilton and J M Medland. The core of the site contains many fine 19th century monuments.
Although intended as a private burial ground for dissenters, provision was made for Anglicans in response to public pressure. The 17 acre cemetery was opened on 19th June 1849. In 1870 the brickyards and plaster pits to the north were purchased to enable the creation of a 13 acre extension in 1894. Many of those who, in the 19th century, significantly contributed to the growth and development of Leicester such as leading industrialists, philanthropists, members of the local council, architects and religious leaders lie buried here.