Princeton Battlefield State Park
On January 3, 1777, the peaceful winter fields and woods of Princeton Battlefield were transformed into the site of what is considered to be the fiercest fight of its size during the American Revolution. During this desperate battle, American troops under General George Washington surprised and defeated a force of British Regulars. Coming at the end of “The Ten Crucial Days” which saw the well-known night crossing of the Delaware River and two battles in Trenton, the Battle of Princeton gave Washington his first victory against the British Regulars on the field.
This Colonnade was originally part of Matthew Newkirk’s home in Philadelphia PA, later called St George’s Hall. The house was designed by Thomas U Walter who later designed the dome on the US Capitol Building in Washington DC. In 1900 the colonnade was transported to Princeton and became the entrance of the Mercer Manor, which formerly stood on the east side of the Battlefield. Upon the Manor’s demolition in 1957, the Institute for Advanced Study donated the colonnade to the State of New Jersey. The Colonnade was dedicated where it stands in 1959 and declared a National Historic Monument in 1962.
Beyond the colonnade lies a circular stone patio and a tablet dedicated to the men who died in the Battle of Princeton. The memorial was erected in 1918 in memory of the 36 unknown soldiers buried nearby (fifteen American and 21 British soldiers).
Dedicated to all those who have fought and died for our country and its freedom.