Old Mission San Juan Capistrano

Anne-Marie Bokslag

Haarlem, Netherlands

  • Available
    Products
    11
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 20

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

This picture is included in the America calender

Mission San Juan Capistrano was founded on All Saints Day November 1, 1776 by Spanish Catholics of the Franciscan Order. Named for a 15th century theologian and “warrior priest” who resided in the Abruzzo region of Italy, San Juan Capistrano has the distinction of being home to the oldest building in California still in use, a chapel built in 1782; known alternately as “Serra’s Chapel” and “Father Serra’s Church,” it is the only extant structure wherein it has been documented that the padre officiated over mass. One of the best known of the Alta California missions (and one of the few missions to have actually been founded twice – others being Mission San Gabriel Arcángel and Mission La Purísima Concepción) – the site was originally consecrated on October 30, 1775 by Father Fermín Lasuén, but was quickly abandoned due to unrest among the indigenous population in San Diego.

The success of the settlement is evident in its historical records. Prior to the arrival of the missionaries, some 550 natives were scattered throughout the local area; by 1790, the number of converted Christians had grown to 700, and just six years later nearly 1,000 “neophytes” (recent converts) lived in or around the Mission compound. 1,649 baptisms were conducted that year alone, out of the total 4,639 souls converted between 1776 and 1847. More than 2,000 former inhabitants (mostly Juaneño Indians) are buried in unmarked graves in the Mission’s cemetery (campo santos). The remains of Father (later Monsignor) St. John O’Sullivan, who recognized the property’s historic value and working tirelessly to conserve and rebuild its structures, are buried at the entrance to the cemetery on the west side of the property, and a statue raised in his honor stands at the head of the crypt. The surviving chapel also serves as the final resting place of three padres who passed on while serving at the Mission: Fathers José Barona, Vicente Fustér, and Vicente Pascual Oliva are all entombed beneath the sanctuary floor.

Canon EOS 40D

Featured in the ImageWriting group

Artwork Comments

  • babybird1937
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • Visual   Inspirations
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • stephaniek
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • kathy s gillentine
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • keithalway
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • Cora Wandel
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • Pat Moore
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • Nancy Stafford
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • Bellavista2
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
  • CeePhotoArt
  • Anne-Marie Bokslag
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.