|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Rose Garden of Biron mansion (Hotel Biron), now housing Musee Rodin, Paris, France
The mansion that now houses the Musee Rodin was built in the Rue de Varenne, Paris, between 1727 and 1737, for the wealthy financier Abraham Peyrenc de Moras. The project, eventually overseen by Jean Aubert, Architect to the King, is a shining example of the rocaille architecture that was fashionable at this time. Constructed on the outer limits of Paris, it was both a town house and a country residence. Peyrenc de Moras’s widow sold the estate to Louis-Antoine de Gontaut-Biron, the future Marshal Biron. The changes he made mainly involved the grounds, which had been since then one of the most beautiful and best-known gardens in Paris. Marshal Biron leaved the mansion the name by which it is still known today, the Hotel Biron.
In 1908, the sculptor Auguste Rodin rented four south-facing, ground-floor rooms opening onto the terrace, to use as his studios. The garden that had run wild probably made a strong impression on Rodin, encouraging him to place some of his works and part of his collection of antiques amidst its greenery. From 1911 onwards, he occupied the entire building.
In 1916, the National Assembly voted in a law that accepted the sculptor’s three donations and allocated the mansion and its garden to a museum, called the Musée Rodin, where the works donated to the French nation by Rodin would be exhibited.
The museum was officially opened in 1919.
Canon EOS 500D + EF-S 18-55mm@18mm, f/16, 1/80 sec, ISO200
Top Ten in the Challenge Group Avatar in A Garden somewhere…
203 views on 29/03/2013
500 views on 14/05/2014