To get Apparel, Cases, Stickers, Wall Art and Home Decor delivered by the holidays, order today.

Santi Giovanni e Paolo

  • Available
    Products
    17
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 12

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, Basilica Santi Giovanni e Paolo, Venice, Italy
Venice is on UNESCO World Heritage List
Canon EOS 500D+EF-S 18-55mm@18mm, 1/13 sec, ISO200, handheld

100 views on 03/10/2013
200 views on 24/11/2013
502 views on 11/10/2014
Featured in Cover Shots on 13/09/2013
Featured in ROADWAYS, HIGHWAYS, STAIRWAYS… on 15/09/2013
Featured in ITALIAN CITIES on 03/10/2013

The history of the church of Saints John and Paul begins with the dream of the doge Jacopo Tiepolo, who had a vision accompanied by the voice of the Lord, who said: “This is the chosen place for my preachers,” that is, the Dominican friars who had been in Venice since 1226 in the church of San Martino.
The instrument of donation for the new church was issued by the Venetian state in June of 1234. Construction began in the following century, and proceeded in fits and starts, partially due to the continuous plagues that battered the city during the 14th century.
The church was consecrated on November 12th 1430 by the nephew of Pope Gregory XII, Antonio Corrario, bishop of Cereda.
Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary was built by the Scuola of the Rosary in 1582, to the design of Alessandro Vittoria who also worked hard on the task, the chapel is the result of the transformation of the 14th century chapel of St. Dominic.
It was dedicated to the victory of Lepanto (7 October 1571, the feast day of Our Lady of the Rosary). It was a real jewel; a marvellous casket containing many masterpieces.
On the night of 15 – 16 August 1867 a serious fire destroyed the chapel, and with it the gilded wooden ceiling with its paintings by Jacopo Tintoretto (Our Lady of the Rosary), Palma il Giovane, Leandro Corona, and about 34 other paintings displayed on the walls.
On 4 October 1959 the restored chapel, was solemnly reopened.
(www.basilicasantigiovanniepaolo.it/)

Artwork Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.