Detail of Fontaine du Palmier and Conciergerie, Place du Chatelet, Paris, France
211 views on 10/09/13
Fontaine du Palmier in the center of Place du Chatelet was designed in 1806 by architect and engineer François-Jean Bralle (1750-1832) to celebrate French victories in battle. It has a circular basin from which a column rises in the form of a palm tree’s trunk 18 metres (58 feet) tall.
Its sphinxes were designed in 1858 by Gabriel Davioud and sculpted by Henri Alfred Jacquemart (1824-1896); they commemorate Napoleon’s victory in Egypt.
In the background is La Conciergerie – a former royal palace and prison located on the west of the Île de la Cité. It is part of the larger complex known as the Palais de Justice.
The west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was initially known as Le Palais de la Cité. From the 10th to the 14th centuries was the seat of the medieval Kings of France. Under Louis IX (Saint Louis) (1214–1270) and Philip IV (Philip the Fair) (1284–1314) the Merovingian palace was extended and more heavily fortified. Louis IX added the Sainte-Chapelle, while Philippe IV created the towered facade on the river side (on photo) (wikipedia).
Canon EOS 500D + EF-S 18-55 @55mm
105 views on 28/04/2013