Chipping Campden was the meeting place of the Saxon Kings, in 687, for consulting in the war against the Britons; and it became, in the 14th century, a principal mart for wool, and the residence of many opulent merchants.
It established itself as a busy wooltraders town in the 14th century. Wool from Cotswold Sheep, grazed on the surrounding farmland, was graded, sold and transported to London. The Woolstaplers Hall in the High Street was built in 1340 by a wool merchant.The Market Hall, in the centre of the High Street, was constructed in 1627 by Sir Baptist Hicks to give shelter to the market traders. This is now owned by The National Trust.