415 views as of 16 Sept 2011 and featured in the group ‘100 – 499 Views’.
Now available as a T-shirt – see below!
So, the new product page has been implemented without any modifications to the previewed version, despite the numerous thoughtful comments and constructive suggestions. It is rather disappointing that, having asked for feedback, our responses have not been taken into account. (See, for example, this RB journal and Damienne Bingham’s journal .)
In my view, the product page now looks more like a supermarket than a gallery. Something like the new format could be fine for the purchase page, but not for displaying fine art.
Maybe the format will be tweaked in the coming days, or maybe I will just learn to live with it. In the meantime, here’s my gentle protest.
These are some of the things I don’t like:
- I want to see my description (which I have taken great care over writing and formatting) alongside my image, in that huge area of waste space ie. where it was before.
- I don’t want to have to press another button to see the full description of the image (which you have probably just had to do if you have read this far…)
- If I click the little arrows on either side of the thumbnail previews of my other works, I want to see more thumbnails but do not want to be taken to another work unless I click on a specific thumbnail. In my view, this is a fundamental design error.
Update 6/9/11: this has been implemented! Thank you for listening, RB.
- If I go to an image and click on the button to purchase prints, I should be able to see all the menu options on the screen without having to scroll down and press the button again.
Update 6/9/11: this has been implemented as well! Wow!
- I would like to see the most recent comments at the top of the list, especially if the list that is initially shown is going to be truncated.
Update 7/9/11: here’s another issue I’ve just noticed: it does not appear to be possible to break replies to comments into paragraphs.
Update 14/9/11: next issue – the fact that I now have to press two edit buttons to edit an image (and keep hitting the ‘MyBubble’ button by mistake). Oh, and I don’t need my name after every comment reply – after all, replies can only be from me!
Update 14/9/11: silence from RB on the main issues. Meanwhile, the Feedback has reached a whopping 847 votes. And while Google Analytics show that overall visits to my work are significantly down since the changes, the real effect is probably underestimated since most of those visits have been to this protest. In fact, Black Day On The Bubble is by far my most successful recent work…
Update 15/9/11: apparently things are even worse for group moderators. For those groups that require specific information in the description, moderators are now finding their work is taking significantly longer. That is why some are now requesting that information to be in the first line of the description. There is an example at the top of this page – not normally what I would want to see first as a viewer. (And I wonder how to handle the situation where an image is entered in five groups, all of which require the qualifying info to be in the first line of the description.)
Update 15/9/11: When I view an image I find it very disconcerting to see the “Leave a comment” box just below it, with my profile pic prominently alongside. My immediate subconscious reation is that I’ve already been there.
Update 16/9/11: The comment preview button does not work. I have just formatted a comment so that the first few words, a quote from a comment, were in itallics and the rest not. Looked fine in the preview. But when it uploaded it was all in italics…
Update 16/9/11: This work is now available printed on a T-shirt at your local store. Just ask for the plain black T-shirt – they’ll know which one you mean!
Update 04/10/11: Still not a squeak out the staff, but at least some small changes are taking place. There appears to be a new addition to the panel on the right called “Work stats” which shows numbers of views, favourites etc. This should help with the moderation of some groups, but is not really addressing the big issues.
Update update: scrap that – seems I can only see “Work stats” on my own images…