Old Point Comfort Light is a lighthouse located on the grounds of Fort Monroe at the point where Hampton Roads meets the Chesapeake Bay. It is the second oldest light in the bay and the oldest still in use.
Records of aids to navigation at Old Point Comfort date to 1775, but the current light was constructed by Elzy Burroughs and put into service in 1803, though a keeper’s house was not built until 1823.
The current keeper’s house was built in 1891. Upon automation in 1973 the keeper’s house was transferred to the Army, which continues to use it as an officer’s dwelling.