The original Hillside Home School building was Frank Lloyd Wright’s first designed building, which he designed for his aunts Jane and Nell Lloyd-Jones in 1886. This initial portion of the building was demolished in 1950. The current buildings at the Hillside school were constructed in 1903 by Wright. The Hillside Home School closed in 1915. In the 1920’s Wright had moved back to the area and had developed neighboring Taliesin Estate. It was his desire to develop school for apprentice architects and in 1928 he started renovation of the Hillside School to serve as this school.
The entire Taliesin estate is a National Historic Landmark.