1928 Rudge Whitworth 500cc seen at the 2010 Cheshire Steam Fair held at Darsbury, near Warringron, Cheshire.
Rudge Whitworth Cycles was a British bicycle and motorcycle manufacturer that resulted from the merger of two bicycle manufacturers in 1894, one of which descended from the original bicycle company founded by Daniel Rudge. Rudge motorcycles were produced from 1911 to 1946. The firm was known for its innovations in engine and transmission design, and its racing successes. The company also produced the first detachable wire wheel in 1907 and was known for its knockoff wheels on sports cars well into the 1960s.
Their main production bike was the Rudge Four, so called because of the four speeds and four valves, not four cylinders. This single cylinder 350 cc machine showed markedly superior performance to the competition on release, having more power than its 500 cc predecessor. Rudge engineer, George Hack, is said to have taken his design idea from the four valve head Ricardo-Triumph Special of 1921, a one off machine. He designed a four valve head for Rudge and in 1924 they produced their first four-valve cylinder head on a 350 cc engine. The valves were arranged in parallel, and were not radial.
In 1925, a 500 cc version with linked front and rear brakes appeared, and the big end bearings were now fed oil through the crankshaft pin. The old 350 cc was dropped in 1926. For 1928 Rudge motorcycles (including this one) were fitted with saddle tanks, and 8 inch internal expanding drum brakes.
Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: AF-S Nikkor VR 70-300 G IF-ED Lens
Speed: 1/250 sec
Processing: Photoshop CS5
Filter: NIK SilverEfex