BEST VIEWED LARGE
103 views as at 8 May 2012
Berrima was established in the 1830s during a time of great exploration and expansion in New South Wales. In 1829 surveyor general Major Thomas Mitchell camped near the site of the present bridge over the Wingecarribee River while surveying the route for the Great South Road. He advised governor Bourke that here was an ideal town site, and surveyor Robert Hoddle submitted a plan for the village which was approved in 1831.
By 1840 Berrima had a Court House and a Gaol, and it became the administrative centre for the southern districts. A stone arch bridge spanned the Wingecarribee and traffic on the Great South Road increased as carts, drays and coaches passed through on their way to and from Sydney. The village prospered as it became a convenient stopping point for the passing traffic. Through the 1840s and into the 60s, there were thirteen inns in the village and the population rose to around 400.
The bakehouse at the rear of this building now operates as a tearoom and museum. The Commercial bank operated from the house at the front during the 1880s.
Camera – Nikon N80 Lens – Tamron 28 -300 VC
Three bracketed RAW images processed in Photomatix Pro 4.2, with finishing touches in Photoshop Elements 6.0
FEATURED IN AUSTRALIA AT LARGE
FEATURED IN SHOPFRONTS
FEATURED IN FOCUS ON NEW SOUTH WALES