Built: 1915 Restored to: 1918-19.
Featuring two main rooms that are separated by a central hallway, the Grekul house is typical of the first permanent homes constructed by Ukrainian immigrants from Bukovyna. To cope with the climate, sunlight and prevailing winds, these houses were built with their entrances and main windows facing south. While the Grekul house roof was shingled, some of their neighbour’s houses had roofs thatched in rye straw. The Grekul family lived in a community that was known at first as Toporivtsi (the name of a village in Bukovyna), but the name was changed to Smoky Lake once the railway established a town by that name nearby. (Source –
The Ukrainian Heritage Village Guided Tour)
155 views as at 22 July 2011