This country church was built in 1912 in the rural community of Buczacz, Alberta,. While the members of this parish were not particularly wealthy, the church was built with materials that were often better than those in their own homes. While the rite required that churches be built with their altars facing east, the church at Buczacz faced the road according to the habit that was more accepted in Canada. During the 1920s, it was served about once a month by travelling priests from the Ukrainian Catholic monastery at Mundare. It has been restored to its 1928 appearance and is still used for services.
The Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village is an open-air museum that uses costumed historical interpreters to recreate pioneer settlements in east central Alberta, Canada. In particular it shows the lives of Ukrainian Canadian settlers form the years 1892 to 1930. Buildings (such as this church) from the surrounding communities have been moved to the historic site and restored to various years within the first part of the twentieth century.
103 views as at 18 March 2011