Towards the end of the second World War, on the tenth day of June in 1944, a massacre took place in the small town of Oradour sur Glane, in the Haute Vienne department of France.
A group of soldiers from the 2nd SS Panzer Division, entered then surrounded the town.
Under the guise of an identity check they ordered all the inhabitants to congregate on the town’s fairground.
They separated the women and children, sending them into the local church, and divided the men into six groups and sent them to various barns around the town.
Then opened fire and killed 642 people, the men, women and children. Only a handful survived, crawling out from underneath the bodies of their friends and neighbours.
The massacre sites were set aflame, and whilst the bodies burned the soldiers hunted down and executed anyone found to have evaded the initial roundup.
The remains of the town stand now as a memorial.