Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn
The Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn is a car that was produced by Rolls-Royce at their Crewe works between 1949 and 1955. It was the first Rolls-Royce car to be offered with a factory built body which it shared, along with its chassis, with the Bentley Mark VI until 1952 and then the Bentley R Type until production finished in 1955.
The car was first introduced as an export only model. The left hand drive models had a column gear change, while right hand drives had a floor change by the door. Only with the R Type based model was it officially available on the home market, from October 1953. The one on the photo has a right hand drive and was probably imported directly from UK as at that time, The Bahamas were British territory.
A mere 760 were produced between 1949 and 1955. Earlier models up to circa May 1954 had a different facia (dashboard) from the Bentley Mk.VI and ‘R’ Type, and were fitted with a single exhaust system. Later models from the SRH chassis series had the Bentley style fascia and the twin exhaust system, as fitted to the Bentley ‘R’ Type. On the Standard Steel cars throughout the production history, all the body panels forward of the bulkhead/firewall were slightly different to those fitted to the Bentley.
The in-line six cylinder, engine had overhead inlet and side exhaust valves and had a capacity of 4,257 cc until 1951 when it was enlarged to 4,566 cc. The carburettor was a single downdraught Stromberg until 1952 when it was replaced by a Zenith.
The suspension was independent at the front using coil springs while at the rear the live axle used half elliptic leaf springs. The car had a separate chassis made with traditional riveted construction until 1953 after which it was welded. Servo assisted 12.25 in (311 mm) drum brakes were used, hydraulically operated at the front but retaining mechanical operation at the rear. Although many cars were fitted with factory built bodies, others were supplied to external coachbuilders.
A factory bodied Silver Dawn with automatic transmission tested by The Motor magazine in 1954 had a top speed of 94.0 mph (151.3 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 15.2 seconds. A fuel consumption of 15.4 miles per imperial gallon (18.3 L/100 km; 12.8 mpg-US) was recorded.
The test car cost £4704 including taxes.
NIKON D5100 with NIKKOR ZOOM 18~55mm
1 shot (Handheld) converted in Black & White and tomemapped with Photomatix. Final adjustments with Nikon NX2 software.
Image # RF1-0770
Photographer: Jeremy Lavender Photography – Nassau, The Bahamas