Image # RF1-0703
Photographer: Jeremy Lavender Photography – Nassau, The Bahamas
The Nassau Public Library, an octagonal shaped building that is located at the southern end of Parliament Square that borders Shirley Street, was constructed as a jail in 1797. In 1879, it was converted to a library, reading room and museum. The small prison cells which once housed prisoners are now used to store books, charts, Arawak artifacts and a collection of historic prints, colonial documents and newspapers. It was the first building to be constructed in Parliament Square.