Pre-Order your iPhone 6 case now!

Women Painters - ('FINE ART' only)

A group for women painters and their traditional art

Features April 11 2013. Earth Day series - Part I. Sky

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36282 posts

Earth Day 2013 series

MAN, WOMEN, BEASTS, and BIRDS look to the sky for symbols and signs: signs of weather, symbols of the earth’s movement, the making of time, the mood of the gods, signs of other life forms, and predators.

This week, we begin our celebration of Earth Day, April 22, 2013, with articles that will continue on each Thursday, throughout the month. The articles will highlight the Earth’s current status, some art from the past, and featured art from our Women Painters. The series will feature Skies, Bodies of Water, and Landscape, over a three week period.

Part I. Sky

Egyption epithet to Re:
“Re is the great light who shinest in the heavens
Lord of all lands…praise Re when he riseth at the beginning of each day.
Thou passest over the sky, and every face watcheth thee and thy course,
for thou hast been hidden from their gaze.
Thou dost show thyself at dawn and at eventide day by day”

Ancient, Egyptian art may be bearing out previously debunked scientific theories about the age of planetary evolution in and around 3000 BC. 1 Scientists with the European Space Agency have discovered that the ionosphere of planet Venus changes, depending on the sun’s daily weather. Yong Wei, from the Max Planck Institute in Katlenburg, Germany, says that it takes only half an hour to an hour for a “comet tail” to form around Venus 2, after a solar wind dies down.

Compare this Eurpean Space Agency (ESA) animation still…   3

of the comet-effects of solar wind on the planet Venus, with…

Queen Ankhsunamun’s crown, on the back

of Tutankhamun’s throne (1323 BC).

The Carbon Dioxide gases in Venus’ atmosphere are so thick, the European Space Agency (ESA) says, that walking through it would be like wading through water. Because the Carbon Dioxide traps heat from the sun, the result is a “runaway greehouse effect” that makes Venus extremely hot (465 Celsius/ 869 Farenheit).

There are some who propose that the red sun of Egyptian paintings was portrayed the way it was seen, in actuality, at that time; because planetary dust and debris surrounding the earth made the sun appear red. Consider that there are no ancient Egyptian paintings of a golden sun with rays.

Egyptian Ra. Note the red sun symbol,

with the gold serpent wrapped around it. 4

NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO)

image of the sun with solar flares 5

Symbolic Skies – art history

Triumph of the Skies
Kazimir Malevich
Tempera on cardboard, 1907

Night Rider
Nicholas Roerich

click any image for a larger view

Although there are some who maintain that the planet is not warming, the U.S.’s National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) says that it is. 6 The Agency reports that carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere currently exceed 390 parts per million. In 1880, the levels were 285 parts per million. Both the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and NASA have ranked 2012 as one of the top ten hottest years on record, globally. NASA expects each coming decade to be hotter than the next, due to the greenhouse gases.

Blue Skies – art history

The Roman Campagna, with the Claudian Aqueduct
Camille Corot
Oil on paper, 1828

Fuji Mountains, in Clear Weather
Katsushika Hokusai
Woodcut, 1831

Wheatfield, with Mountains in the Background
Vincent van Gogh
Oil on canvas, 1889

While there is a sense of lack of progress by the United Nations in their focus on global reduction of carbon dioxide; alternative groups are forming to address the many problems of gases. Targeting diesel emmission reductions, especially, a (currently) 25-country coalition, formed in 2012— The Climate and Clean Air Coalition to Reduce Short-Lived Climate Pollutants (CCAC) 7 hopes to make rapid reductions that will affect human health and the environment.

Cloud Formations – art history

Mountain Mist
Albert Bierstadt
ca. 1865

Cloud
Fyodor Vasilyev
Oil on canvas, ca. 1868

Byron, Visiting Mhitarists on Island of St. Lazarus in Vennice
Ivan Aivazovsky
Oil, 1899

Clouds over Bor
Paul Klee

The CCAC estimates that 20% of soot (black carbon) emmissions come from the transportation sector. 8 They hope to address “fuels and vehicles as one system” and introduce low sulfer fuels in a first step effort to improve the air.

Storms – art history

Le Havre Stormy Skies, over the Estuary
Eugene Boudin
Oil, 1894

Komokata Hall and Azuma Bridge
Hiroshige
Woodcut, 1857

Seascape Study with Raincloud
John Constable
ca. 1827

Storms Clearing

Fountainebleu Storm Over the Plains
Camille Corot
Oil on paper, 1822

Abergavenny Bridge, Monmountshire,
Clearing up After a Showery Day

William Turner
Watercolor on paper

Goldau
William Turner
Watercolor on paper 1841

click any image for a larger view.

Emissions from certain hydrofluorocarbons (HFC’s), especially those used in air conditioning, refrigerants, solvents, and aerosols has been rising steadily— 8% between 2004 and 2008. These substances have been adopted to replace ozone-depleting substances, which are being phased out, per the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer. 9 CCAC’s response is to utilize better technology design and reduce HFC leaks from equipment. 10

Oil and gas production is second, only behind agriculture, in methane emissions. The losses due to leaks, flares, and venting account for “nearly two gigatons of CO 2 equivalent of greenhouse gas emmissions, over 80 percent of which are methane emissions”, according to the CCAC. 11  The goal is a joint effort with the oil and gas industry to design new mechanisms to reduce the emmissions, which would also have the benefit of increasing productivity ratios. Some of these gains can come at no cost to the production companies, according to the CCAC.

Sunrise – Sunset – art history

Sunset
Felix Vallotton
Oil, 1918

The Beach, Sunset
Gustave Courbet
Oil on canvas, 1867

Last Rays
Konstantin Bogaevsky
Oil on canvas, 1903

Heroic Landscape, with Fishermen
Theodore Gericault

click any image for a larger view.

At abnormally high concentrations, tropospheric ozone (O 3) is a pollutant and element of smog. Incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, such as diesel and gasoline, and even photocopying are complicit. If you have smelled a laser printer, then you are smelling ozone, which is toxic in high concentration. Most tropospheric ozone is a result of organic compounds reacting, in the atmosphere, in the presence of sunlight. Health effects of high concentration of ozone include respiratory difficulties (coughing, irritation of the throat, difficulty in breathing), inflammation, and infections. 12

These four biproducts of mostly the human footprint: soot, HFC’s, methane emissions, and tropospheric ozone, are responsible for a substantial portion of the warming experienced by earth, and the current rate of warming. 7

FOOTNOTES and REFERENCES:

1 Velikovsky’s ‘Comet-Venus’
2 Venus’ comet tail
3 ESA ANIMATION: Venus – planetary drag animation
4 Ra the red sun – myth and reality
5 NASA MOVIE: Massive sun flares on August 2012, from Solar Dynamics Observatory
6 National Geographic – global temperature rises in 2012
7 Climate and Clean Air Coalition to Reduce Short-Lived Climate Pollutants
8 CCAC- diesel vehicles and engines
9 Montreal Protocol – United Nations – ozone
10 CCAC – HFC leaks
11 CCAC – oil and gas production
12 Tropospheric ozone

Related Info
ESA – Venus compared to Earth
movie: 5000 year old meteorite found in Poland – largest Meteorite shower over Europe
London Times article reviewed. Cuneiform tablet transcribed, Astroid hit 5000 years ago
Original London Times article (subscription required for full read)
NASA rockets paint glowing trails in the sky
ESA – Planck – March 31, 2013 press conference

Animation: Planck reveals the Microwave background of the Universe

ESA created a new generation of cooling systems, to enable detectors to get to 1/10 of a degree above absolute 0. This enabled them to get the tiniest signals in the universe, by being the coldest point in space; and map out these signals. In space since 2009, Planck is a fantastic spacecraft, which has mapped out the current radio waves of the universe, to understand the past— the beginnings of the universe.

—F.A. Moore

©2013, F.A. Moore.

To be continued, Thursday, April 18, Part II. Water

Discussion

1. Regarding ozone depletion, oil and gas production methane leaks, certain HFC’s, diesel and gasoline transportation:

1. Do you believe this is your problem, or is it everybody else’s? (Principally industry.)

2. How do you view Egyptian mythology.

1. Do you think they knew things that we did not?
  2. Had you ever considered that their land, sky, seas, and literally their earth
    was not the same as ours?

3. Have you created symbolic paintings?

4. What is your favorite sky technique and medium in which to paint it?

Please do not feel that you have to answer all of these questions in order to participate.
Even if you respond to one, it would be GREAT to hear what you have to say.
Please do share!

Please enjoy our catalog and showcase of paintings from members. Lynda Robinson and I teamed up for this
special feature, brought to you on behalf of all hosts and members of Women Painters.

—Frannie Moore

Catalog

Heathy brow
by Paula Oakley

Marengo Sunrise
by Lynda Robinson

The First Warmth..
by © Janis Zroback

Slant of Light
by Marriet

Going Home
by Shulie1

Storm in the Air
by Vandy Massey

Fire Opal
by Terri Maddock

Tranquility-Beaulieu- UK
by Beatrice Cloake N.A.P.A

Karoo afternoon
by Maree Clarkson

Storm over Norfolk coast
by Linda Ridpath

Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland
by Sue Nichol

Come Fly With Me
by Lisa Frances Judd Original Australian Art

Presenting Sky Paintings by Women Painters

Heathy brow
by Paula Oakley

Acrylic
16 × 20 in.

Marengo Sunrise
by Lynda Robinson

Pastel on Colourfix paper
50 × 70 cm.

The First Warmth..
by © Janis Zroback

Watercolour on Arches Not Paper

Slant of Light
by Marriet

Acrylic on canvas
16 × 20 in.

Going Home
by Shulie1

Acrylic on bristol board
15 1/2 × 13 in.

Storm in the Air
by Vandy Massey

Watercolor

Fire Opal
by Terri Maddock

Pastel on Mi Tientes Tex paper
16 × 11 cm

Tranquility-Beaulieu- UK
by Beatrice Cloake N.A.P.A

Beaulieu, New Forest, England
Oil on canvas board

Karoo afternoon
by Maree Clarkson

Karoo, South Africa
W&N watercolour on Aqua 300gsm watercolour paper

Storm over Norfolk coast
by Linda Ridpath

Acrylic on board
40 × 30 cm

Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland
by Sue Nichol

Oil on block canvas
90 × 60 cm.

Come Fly With Me
by Lisa Frances Judd Original Australian Art

Mixed Media: acrylic, scrapbook papers, ink and watercolours on canvas
75 × 60 cm.

Lynda and teamed up for this feature of your work on Skies, to help usher in Earth Day, 2013.
Watch for more in the series, this month.

Congratulations to: Lisa Frances Judd, Sue Nichol, Linda Ridpath, Maree Clarkson, Beatrice Cloake,
Terri Maddock, Vandy Massey, Shulie, Marriet, Janis Zroback, Lynda Robinson, and Paula Oakley
!

Maree  Clarkson Maree Clarkson 2218 posts

Fascinating article! Thank you for including my image in this series and congratulations to all the other featured artists, really great work!

Congratulations, on your watercolor, Maree. You had several recently which fit this theme perfectly and were wonderful.
Lynda picked out this beauty. I’m glad you liked the article!

Cindy Schnackel Cindy Schnackel 4679 posts

Impressive work, congrats on your features! Great topic and research, also impressive!

Vandy Massey Vandy Massey 4 posts

Thank you for featuring my Storm in the Air painting. It’s a great honour to be included in this group feature.

Beatrice Cloake Beatrice Cloake 8163 posts

Congratulations to you all for these magnificent featured works. I am very happy and proud to have one of mine standing with yours.

What a wonderful fascinating article about the sky and atmosphere.
Thank you Frannie and Lynda!
I really never knew about the sun in Egypt being of a different colour than now but it makes sense.
A few years back, I read an article than from the top of the Eiffel tower, it is claimed than in early 1900, by a nice day, people could see miles and miles away, something not possible now due to the emission of Carbone dioxide in the atmosphere!

Regarding Venus: Did they have many cars on there? LOL

I have always been fascinated by the Egyptian history. I really do believe that we have not found yet the real knowledge that they once possessed. When we read their incredible life in the time of the pyramids, their construction, etc… there is so much difference within other civilisations at the same time on Earht. Why?

I do believe that we all are concerned about the emission of carbone dioxide. I have bought a car with the lowest possible emission, it is a “green car” for this reason, in UK I do not pay a road tax!!!!
It is not only cars, we have aerosol sprays of all kind that we do not need. We should need to come back a bit more to basics.

I love painting skies in Watercolour and Oil. I think that these two mediums are the best to express moods.

With watercolour: I wet the paper and throw away the colours together. Usually, it does the job on its own. If not, I will have to use another wash.

With Oil: I will try on a small scale what I want to express.
With this painting “tranquility” I first laid the blues and added the pinks (not on the blues) Each colours are laid on the white canvas. I merge them with a soft brush. All is done in one session.

Terri Maddock Terri Maddock 3120 posts

Thank you Frannie & Lynda for putting together such an informative article and gallery of paintings – thank you for including one of mine too.

The ancient civilisations – Egyptian, Mayan, Inca, as well as the native peoples of our lands did appear to be far more in tune to their environments, seasons, tides etc. We lost so much with European expansion – how fascinating it would have been if they had been able to pass on what they knew about the solar system and engineering.

Linda Ridpath Linda Ridpath 584 posts

Thanks so much for the feature Frannie, Lynda. Congratulations to all the other artists featured here, I am in wonderful company" There is nothing like a sky and sea landscape, either together or in tandem to give the opportunity to paint purely as an emotional response to what we see and ultimately feel in our huge natural world. Putting ourselves in perspective, allowing ourselves to be overtaken by the immensity of it all, and the appalling helplessness we have within it. Within Egyptian culture, their ordered portrayal of the Gods was an attempt to control that which they could not fully understand or predict, theirs was an emotional response to that huge firey thing in the sky. That some of our English most popular painters have painted such sky and sea scenes. Turner was blessed to be able to paint just after the huge volcanic eruption in Jakarta in the 19th C, which sent ash around the world and affected the sky colour. Constable was lucky enough to have the huge landscapes and skies of Suffolk and Norfolk about him. I could almost envy his position in time and geography. Acrylics and oils are usually my medium and I have become used to using them to portray skies. Pushing the paint around on a textured canvas or with heavy body paint allows me to get ‘stuck in’ as it were, go for broke and worry about the details later. I generally do paint in response to emotional stimulation and my love of the sea, (even though i live about as far away from it as you can get in England :)) Technique is something that i find out about as i go along, I am self taught and am quite proud of the fact that I am not influenced by any particular ‘school’. I paint as i feel, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I just hope that our generation has not messed the world up too much, that all of the things going on now with our climate are not disastrous. I am sure that we will have many more skies to paint, each day a different one!

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 4873 posts
  • The research and article are great.
    Very interesting and timely!
    Wonderful choice of women painters skies!!
    Congratulations to my favorite team!!
  • What a fabulous gallery of art, all different in their own way and all a great art work!.
    Congratulations everyone on your wonderful artistry!!
    Congratulations to: Lisa Frances Judd, Sue Nichol, Linda Ridpath, Maree Clarkson, Beatrice Cloake,
    Terri Maddock, Vandy Massey, Shulie, Marriet, Janis Zroback, Lynda Robinson, and Paula Oakley
Marriet Marriet 74 posts

Thank you for the feature. I don’t normally associate a church with Earth Day, however since I was very young it was more or less my spirituality to want to be a better steward of the Earth. I’m happy to see so many other people get involved with activities that will lead to a healthier planet. Thank you again.

Earth Day – a time to what?, talk about all the things we should do but don’t? Many people want to do something but either don’t have the
ability to do it or don’t know what to do. So many people are scrambling for the crumbs of their lives that they don’t have time or energy to care about
what is happening around them.

The oil and coal companies are not going to get “cleaner”. Nor have they or do they clean up after themselves.
There have been 3 oil spills in the US in the last few months. Not cleaned up. Oops. Why? Because they don’t know how to do it. Not thoroughly.
A few gallons of oil in your ground water and it is spoiled, done, for years. The XL Tarsands Pipeline has broken numerous times in Canada and our government is considering pumping this filthy sand/oil to Texas via a pipeline that would stretch the length of the Mississippi River. Think about the damage a break would cause to the millions living there. You can’t LIVE without clean water.

Clean energies are the hope of the future, if we are to have one at all. Solar, wind and water power are the things we have in our pockets now.
They don’t harm the earth in a big way. Yes, some birds die flying into the wind blades. But not so many that it will be devastating to an entire species.
The only reason that there are folks thinking climate change is unreal is because people like the Koch brothers have spent $40 million on
disinformation campaigns. Recently in California, there was a bill to label Genetically Modified Foods. Numerous of the big food companies spent
millions there on a disinformation campaign so that people weren’t really clear on what GMO’s were. The result was the bill failed. Monsanto, which is at the top of the list of GMO companies, is splicing the bacterium from Round Up into corn and many other seeds that you eat. The result has backfired. Instead of producing crops that are weed free, we now have super weeds that are immune to herbicides. Round Up used to have the word biodegradable on it. But that’s been removed quietly lately, because it is not biodegradable and it causes cancer.

When I think of the Seventies and Steppenwolf’s song Monster, I think of Monsanto. DuPont, another big chem company, is pushing their brand of corn
which has agent orange spliced into it, so they can douse the crops with agent orange, kill the weeds and the fallout from this would be horrific. Chemical companies have become our greatest food sources. Ironic? Think of our vets and how they suffered from the effects of agent orange.

Fracking is being done without consent and across the country. The companies come in, force hundreds of thousands of gallons of chemicals into the earth to extract natural gas for our homes. The result is poisoned wells, dead animals, land that is no longer viable. The states don’t even receive money for this utter insult to the land.

If you want to learn more about any of these subjects you can “like” March Against Monsanto on Facebook, Environmental Action, and Organic Consumers Organization. There are more sites, but this is a mind opening few to start with. It can be so overwhelming that it’s hard to read. Our bees are dying by the millions, our precious Monarch butterflies are disappearing. Recently a bill was signed into law that says the courts cannot do anything to Monsanto even if
it is proved that their crops are unhealthy. They are getting millions of dollars from our government in subsidies to market their food in Europe, where it is now banned. Most of the top industrialized countries BAN GMO food with good reason. There are laws now in numerous states that disallow and make it a crime to film any factory farm cruelty. You film it, you go to jail.

If you read “Animal Farm” you see the similarity in our times. The first thing is education as to what is going on and the second is to contact your government officials daily. And to vote out anyone who is not 100% for the health of our lands. I do. It’s a pain in the neck, but what choice? This is Earth Day to me…………

Thanks so much @Cindy! Really appreciate your support.

@Vandy, your’e so very welcome. This is an interesting composition, with the land, itself, taking up
such a small percentage of the view. Truly a skyscape, here! Congratulations.

@Beatrice, I love your discussion! LOL, probably no cars :)) Venus is apparently an enigma. The clouds
which reflect back all but say 10% of the universe’s radiation, are cooler than the surface. The extraordinary
heat on the surface of Venus is due to the trapped Carbon Dioxide (trapped by the atmosphere). This planet
was once thought to be Earth’s twin. While they almost the same size, the two planets could not be more
different. It is interesting how Venus, through recorded history, has represented the female, and beauty
and passion. That is hard to square with this volatile fire ball.

Ancient Egypt is incredibly rich with history, mystery, and enigma. It’s no wonder some devote their life
studies to it. Linda Ridpath’s notes on how the volcanic eruption affected the skies in William Turner’s
time is a great tie-in to the interesting possibility that ancient Egypt was an age, when the sun appeared red,
rather than gold, due to the debris in Earth’s atmosphere from planet activity.

In Poland, a 5000 year old meteorite was discovered just 5 months ago. It’s about the size of a
landscape boulder. (I’ve just added a footnote link to it, at the base of this article.) There is another mystery
that may have been solved. A cuneiform tablet found in the remains of the library in the royal place at
Nineveh in the mid-19th century, is thought to be a 700BC copy of an astronomer’s note on an astroid
he was watching fall, some 5000 years ago. The guess is that from the size and route described, it might
have crashed into the Austrian Alps at Köfels. Scientist also have surmised that the impact would have
been like 1,000 metric tons of TNT exploding, affecting a 386,000 sq miles or 1 million square kilometers.
If you are subscribed to the London Times, you can read the full story.
Otherwise, there is a link in the footnotes to a radio page that cites and reviews the London Times piece.
Based on these two events alone, there is evidence that the earth’s atmosphere would have been
greatly affected, for at least a time. It’s plausible that the sun appeared as a red ball.

Ah, so you painted your blue and pink separately on the white paper, and pushed them together where
you want them to blend
. Thanks for describing your technique for this beautiful sky in
Tranquility-Beaulieu- UK. I have seen skies just like that, and simply have to pause in the moment.

@Terri, congratulations! Your pastel of the sky is perfect for this article and feature. And Lynda got to it first!
I’m so glad to include it in this fine collection of paintings to celebrate the sky and Earth Day.

You made mention of something worthy of note. That is that indigenous people were so much more aware of their environment.
Now that we shut the environment out of our home and office— our living space, in other words, it has become more a thing of
entertainment. For the indigenous peoples, it was also their home and office space. Everything was critical, including avoiding
predation, themselves.

Thanks so much for contributing your voice to the discussion.

@Linda, you succeed so well in convincing me that you portray your emotional response to the sky and sea. In fact, as we
have had discussions about it before, you know that I am a huge fan of your seascapes and coastal skies. I guess it must be
for this very reason— that there is emotion embroiled in the paint.

The note on the volcanic eruption during Turner’s time, was fascinating. I didn’t know that. It reminded me to scroll up to view
my Turner examples again. Oops, they hadn’t been added, because I forgot to paste in my table where he was included,
Storms clearing. So those samples are now there, now. We could have a whole article devote to his skies. I love the example
of John Constable’s study of rain, one of my favorites in researching this article.

Your pushing the heavier bodied paint around and “worrying about the details later” really works for you. Bravo, Linda!

Thank you, @Mada, and for being the fearless leader of the Women Painters group. It’s a great one!

@Mariett; it wasn’t the church, but the skies that we were after in this feature of painted skies, to help
usher in “Earth Day”. But I like the slant of light on the church very much, also. :) Congratulations again.

I like what you said about being the steward of the Earth. Definitely, each of us is.

Your frustration with the oil and gas industry is understood. CCAC is serious and I hope that the coalition can
bring about some changes. People do have to agree to agree, at some point, or else nothing gets done.
The coalition has that as a goal.

The reality is that oil and gas, as an energy reserve, isn’t going to go away soon; maybe not even until we totally
deplete the resources for it. Some gloat at having 100 years worth of reserves under a certain spot. 100 years is
nothing. But currently the “civilized” world depends on it for homes, schools, offices, transportation, for much
of what we term “living”.

In the mean time, while countries mobilize alternative, renewable energy sources, oil and gas production can be,
and must be, cleaned up. So I am very grateful to learn of the CCAC, formed just last year, and their goals, and plan
to follow their results.

Monsanto’s actions in the farming industry will be part of this article series, “Part III. Earth”. I hope you’ll catch it.
I made a documentary video on it, before becoming a member of RedBubble, and since then created an artwork
(digital) based on the egregious control and destruction of farming best practices, and farmer’s rights. I am personally
aware and involved in bringing awareness on that front.

Thanks for your attention to the article, and your valuable additions to the discussion.

I’m not sure who we blame for the problems of our climate. Lets face it, we didn’t really know we were the cause of these problems until quite recently. Who is to say that it was not the Victorians and the industrial Revolution that spewed endless carbon into the skies. The increase in population that led to intense agricultural activity. What about the volcanic activity. Is it cyclical? Although we are learning very fast that we can do something about the problems we have, I am not sure that the human is able to step back and look at what is happening sensibily. Progress at any cost…. We think we need technology, speed, flight, cars,oil based products. We drive the industries to provide what we want at a price that we can afford. Look how we react (especially here in Europe) to the ever increasing price of petrol and diesel for our cars. But if we are told to travel less, that is not an option. Blame industry if you like, but look to yourself to do with less at a higher price. A very simplistic argument you may say, but if we do simple things we can probably help the planet. Its not going to happen though is it? I don’t envy the generation of my 5 year old grandson, it will be difficult and probably not pretty.

Since technology is ever-advancing, I do also believe that technology is part of the answer, and will play a large
role in how we figure out what to do with our massive problem, which is bigger than any of us.

@Linda, here is an interesting tool from the Nature Conservatory to calculate one’s carbon footprint, based on
some responses to questions. The questions they ask hint at ways to make personal reductions. The world average
per person is 5.5 short tons of CO 2 per year. U.S. person average is 27!

Like you, I believe this has been a long time coming, evolved over the life of the earth and its inhabitants; and yes,
certainly, also, our habits, which create demand, which further creates opportunity, which further gives motive to
seize the opportunity.

Blame rarely helps a situation— at least a mindset of blame does not. To solve a problem, it’s always best to focus
on solutions, both short term and long term. The rest sort of takes care of itself.

Shulie1 Shulie1 184 posts

I am honoured to have my work included with these beautiful images – thank you so much

Your sky is a beautiful example of oriental styling, Shulie. I love it. Congrats again.

And just to add. Of all the skyscapes in the whole world that have ever been painted i think Turner’s Fighting Temeraire,has to be the best! It has everything, colour, mood, texture. Its loose, yet it captures everything that is necessary to make this one of the worlds classic paintings. :))

This one?

The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last berth to be broken up
J.M.W. Turner
Oil on canvas, 1839

click the above image for a larger view.

Linda, you are obviously not alone.

“In 2005, The Fighting Temeraire was voted the greatest painting in a British art gallery. The painting, which hangs in the National Gallery in London, won 31,892 votes, more than a quarter of the 118,111 cast in a poll organised by the BBC Today radio programme.”—Wikipedia

Yes, isnt it stunning…. And those reflections are so glassy, perfect .

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3137 posts

Puff pant – Puff pant – I know I am late calling in here, and I am heading outta the door again for a life drawing session soon!!! What a wonderful discussion! I will come back to read it again more thoroughly when I have more time. Just wanted to say that I agree wholeheartedly with the views of Linda Ridpath. It seems to me that climate change is nothing new! In it’s time, the earth has been through many changes; (for example the Ice Age). The current situation could be part of normal evolution, and although scientifically, it seems that human beings have had a strong influence, hopefully the knowledge and technology we now have will also cause us humans to have just as much influence to get everything back on track! I see greed and materialism as our biggest problem. Perhaps the new technologies, such as solar energy, have not been implemented as much as they could be, because no one can ‘own’ the sun!

Thank you so much Frannie for including my ‘Marengo Sunrise’! This painting is dear to my heart because it reminds me of the wonderful, balmy early morning I spent on a deserted beach leading up to a very hot day. It was SO enjoyable! I set off at about 5.30 a.m. with my pastels and sketch book, and a few sheets of different coloured pastel papers. For awhile I just sat on a rock and observed, and just marvelled at the beauty and serenity of the day. I made several sketches. This particular one was commenced on the beach on a half sheet of pastel paper, and completed later in my studio. I guess I use a similar method with skies as Beatrice describes doing with her oils. I work dark to light, but the areas I want to be ‘clean and bright’ are where I use ‘pure’ colour rather than layering over another darker colour. Does that make any sense at all? LOL! I gently blend the ‘edges’ into each other with my fingers.

Turner’s skies have to be THE best! (Thanks for adding The Fighting Temeraire Ms. Riddy)!

Yes, @Lynda, that makes total sense! You explained that very well. I love your story about how “Marengo Sunrise” came about.
Congratulations on this beautiful, warm piece.
Thank you very much for your contribution to the discussion, as well as your fantastic choices for features!
You’re such a good teammate, Lynda.
:D

And, Linda (Ridpath), oh yes, Turner’s The Fighting Temeraire is splendid. He called it his “darling”, I just read. Thanks for noting it!

Claudia Dingle Claudia Dingle 540 posts

My favourite medium is watercolours but when I think about it I would always enjoy painting sky with watercolours most because clouds are made of water, the flow is therefore more natural than painting with oil or acrylics. The watercolour effects fit perfectly for clouds and sky.

Claudia, that’s a good point. Thanks for your addition here. I love that!