Women Painters - ('FINE ART' only)

A group for women painters and their traditional art

Sunday 10-02-2013 - Featuring Acrylics

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 6643 posts

History of the acrylics:
■ The development of acrylic paint is produced in the 1920s, and arises from the need for a fast-drying paint and stable to weather changes and was developed simultaneously in Germany and U.S.A

■ In the industrial field, was where these qualities of painting, had research and development. The Mexican muralists José Clemente Orozco, David Alfaro Siqueiros and Diego Rivera, sought his large murals painted on the exterior walls, (because oil painting did not have the strength required for outdoor conditions), began experimenting with other media. Plastic resins were used for some time in the industry but never had been used as a vehicle for pigments. Thus begins artistic experimentation, to create a synthetic resin adapted as artistic medium.

■ In the thirties are experimenting with new formulas, and was linked with an artistic and scientific community, the avant-garde artists in the United States, associated with the Mexican muralists and involved in the use of acrylic colors.
■ By the end of the fifties, it was possible to find in the market, acrylics for the visual arts.

• Diego Rivera (1886 – 1957) was a prominent Mexican painter. His large wall works in fresco helped establish the Mexican Mural Movement in Mexican art.

• David Alfaro Siqueiros (1896 – 1974) was a Mexican social realist painter, known for his large murals in acrylics. He is part of “Los Tres Grandes,” which means the “Big Three” who established Mexican Muralism.

José Clemente Orozco – (1883 – 1949) was a Mexican social realist painter, who specialized in bold murals that established the Mexican Mural Renaissance together with murals by Diego Rivera Alfaro and David Siqueiros. Because of his revolutionary and political beliefs, his paintings often chronicle the dramatic social changes and events in Mexico during his lifetime

• This technique has been used in contemporary art, mainly from the 50s. Its main exponents are masters as Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko (abstract expressionism) and Andy Warhol (in the Pop Art)
  • Paul Jackson Pollock (1912 – 1956, USA), was an influential American artist, and a reference in the abstract expressionist movement. Considered one of the most important painters of the United States in the twentieth century. What Pollock reflected in the artworks was “not an image, but a fact, an action.”

“New needs need new techniques. And the modern artists have found new ways and new means of making their statements… the modern painter cannot express this age, the airplane, the atom bomb, the radio, in the old forms of the Renaissance or of any other past culture.” – Jackson Pollock

• Mark Rothko (1903 – 1970) Marcus Yakovlevich Rothkowitz was an American painter of Latvian Jewish descent. He immigrated with his family from Dvinsk to the United States

“I’m not an abstractionist. I’m not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I’m interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.” – Mark Rothko

“A picture lives by companionship, expanding and quickening in the eyes of the sensitive observer. It dies by the same token. It is therefore a risky and unfeeling act to send it out into the world. How often it must be permanently impaired by the eyes of the vulgar and the cruelty of the impotent who would extend the affliction universally" – Mark Rothko

• Andy Warhol – Andrew Warhola, Jr. (1928 – 1987), was an American artist who was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as pop art. His works explore the relationship between artistic expression, celebrity culture and advertisement that flourished by the 1960s

“Once you ‘got’ Pop, you could never see a sign again the same way again. And once you thought Pop, you could never see America the same way again” Andy Warhol

“Being good in business is the most fascinating kind of art. Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art.” – Andy Warhol

• The acrylic paint is a paint containing a plasticised material, in which the pigments are contained in an acrylic polymer emulsion. .
  • It is a fast-drying paint and has a matte finish.
  • The pigments are the same as those used in watercolor and oil paintings.
  • When drying the tone is slightly modified, rather than oil.
  • It is soluble in water but after drying is resistant to it.
  • When dry, the paint layer is waterproof and permanent film.
  • Acrylic paints dry when the water evaporates, and there end their chemical action. The artist can add more paint, as the surface is sealed.
  • It is a painting very stable, resisting oxidation and chemical decomposition. These also act as adhesive paints, each layer bonded to the former.
  • The acrylic painting supports any absorbent carrier (cardboard, paper, wood, canvas) and can also be used on metal, glass, etc. Can also be used on primed with titanium white.
  • Allows fillings better resistance than those of oil, since almost no cracks.
  • It is a technique that has excellent conservation.
  • The colors used for the creation of an acrylic paint, can match and outperform classical techniques, because you can get the same transparency in watercolor, tempera opacities and dense consistency grades of oil, for techniques with brush and spatula

Congratulations Women Painters with featured artworks!
This selection is made by me and Helene.
Please join us in congratulating these talented artists

M. Helena Vieira da Silva – The dialogue between abstraction and figuration
by Madalena Lobao-Tello

Acrylic on canvas – 100 × 0.80

Lunch at Altona beach (Victoria- Australia)
by Ivana Pinaffo

Acrylic on canvas board – 11 × 14″

Chasing The Rain
by Ming Myaskovsky

Acrylic/Sumi Ink on Canson Canva- Paper-136 lb, 290gsm – 16″ × 24″

MY ART NOUVEAU WINDOW
by kimberlysdream

Acrylic on canvas

My beloved country
by Elizabeth Kendall

Acrylic on an x-raysheet – 35 × 43 cm

Sheltered By You
by Tahnja

Acrylic and impasto medium on flat canvas board.

Gentle giant
by Maree Clarkson

Acrylic on Acrylic Gesso primed un-stretched acrylic canvas sheet – 12″ × 8″

Autumn Glory
by LJonesGalleries

Acrylic highly textured on stretched canvas

Dancing Under a Yellow Moon, acrylic on canvas
by tutuzi22

Acrylic on Canvas – 36″×40″

Angel
by Elena Oleniuc

Acrylic on canvas

Inuit girl
by Lynda Harris

Acrylics on A4 acylic paper.

"Sausage girl"
by Tatjana Larina

Acrylic on canvas (90×90 cm)

Afghan Mosque
by Shulie1

Acrylic on canvas panel – 23" X 29"

TED IN BLUE!
by eoconnor

Acrylic – 16X20

"The Princess & The Pea" original SOLD
by frontofbicycle

Mixed Media (Acrylics / Pastels and a hint of sparkle).

De La Noche
by helene ruiz

Acrylic on canvas – 24×18

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37018 posts

What a fine, fine selection of acrylics from our Women Painters.

1. I absolutely adore Helene’s tropical night scene, De La Noche, as always packed with intensity and deep meaning.
  2. The Princess & The Pea, by frontofbicycle speaks to the child in each of us— and yes, I, too, am a princess! :D
  3. I remember when Liz first posted Ted in Blue, of her dear husband, and how many of us took a shine to her simple, but honest portrait style.
  4. Shulie’s acrylic paintings always make me smile, as I am so used to seeing abstract digital water images, and until recently, didn’t realize Shulie painted— wonderful detail in Afghan Mosque!
  5. Tatjana’s Sausage girl is a hoot. I’m used to seeing very serious subject matter from Tatjana, and… well… I simply love this cartoon— well done!
  6. The eyes of Lynda’s Inuit girl could melt a snow man in about 2 seconds.
  7. Elena’s Angel is one of her many beautiful portraits from this last year that have me applauding each new work.
  8. I am totally in awe of tutuzi’s dedication to paint and line, in her Dancing Under a Yellow Moon, acrylic on canvas — an inspiring blend of illustration and fine art!
  9. I want to paddle a canoe down the stream in LJone’s Autumn Glory, and meander through the waterway, gazing at those richly colored leaves, above.
  10. Maree’s Gentle giant seems to be swaying to the music… I love that, and wonder to what beat? Aren’t Elephants an incredible, obvious link to the dinosaurs of old?
  11. Tahnja’s blending of skin on her daughter in the painting, Sheltered by You, is delicate, and provides a vivid contrast to the, black stallion— Tahnja’s understanding and love of horses shines through here.
  12. It’s great to see one of Elizabeth’s landscape acrylics, My beloved country, in this feature— I do love your technique of palette knife on xray film, Elizabeth!
  13. Kimberly’s red head is beautiful, and romantic, as we all would hope to be and look, with flowers in the hair— I used to wear flowers in my hair on a regular basis. But then again, I may have been naive and under delusions of grandeur, or something. :) It’s fun to see it so bold and beautiful in My Art Nouveau Window!
  14. Ming’s Chasing the Rain has been a long time favorite of mine, for years now. This is how it’s said in so few lines and simplified color— beautiful!
  15. Ivana’s Lunch at Altona beach is what plein air is all about, even if it’s not plein air :); the palette is so you, Ivana!
  16. I very much admire the frugality of shape, line, and color in Mada’s M. Helena Vieira da Silva – The dialogue between abstraction and figuration. This image makes me look closer, at these abstract shapes on the subject’s canvas, and want to know more of her story— such great style, Mada!

I hope I didn’t miss anyone!

@Mada, the article on acrylics is fascinating. How exciting that you have located some of the murals of the great Mexican mural artists. Diego Rivera’s is smashing! Great job. I’ll have more to comment on this later.

Beatrice Cloake Beatrice Cloake 9339 posts

Wonderful description about Acrylic Madelena. Acrylic is a medium that seduces all artists. Even those who resist experimenting with it,end up giving it a trial.
Acrylic can look like Oil paintings too.

What a wonderful selection of gorgeous works. I love the portrait by Elena Oleniuc. I know how difficult it is to achieve softness in portraiture with Acrylics,
Congratulations to all artists.

Ivana Pinaffo Ivana Pinaffo 880 posts

Wow, this is excellent, thanks for the description about acrylics and the features that you come up with. I appreciate being included and congratulations to all

kimberlysdream kimberlysdream 10 posts

very beautiful art work! thanks for the feature1 congrats to the artists featured here!.

Helene
Thank you so much for feature my Vieira da Silva. I loved painting this portrait and “recreate” in my canvas, her “L´a bibliothèque humoristique” (The humorous library) and discover that are books in a library

L´a bibliothèque humoristique, 1947-48 * gouache/cartón * 55 × 46 cms.

• Frannie
    I love your analise of the feature. Are words very wise, on each of the artworks
  • Beatrice
    Thanks for coming to appreciate our gallery.
    I think everyone should experience other mediums and acrylic ofers many possibilities…but we must be “gesturally” faster than with oil
  • Ivanna and kimberlysdream
    Thank you for stopping here

I really enjoyed selecting the artworks for this feature!!

Here in Chile, still there are many prejudices against acrylic paint.
For many people the artistic painting is oil painting. Some galleries require you to always have 1 or 2 oil per show.
I feel very comfortable with acrylics for my textures and collages.

Shulie1 Shulie1 447 posts

Tahnk you so much for the feature, Madalena – I am in great company. There is some beautiful work here!

Recently I was reading up on the “Golden” paint brand and some of their products and history. Actually it is fascinating as Golden’s founder was a co-owner and the “paint alchemist” of the revered “Bocour Artist Colors” in New York City, in the 1930’s. He later retired, then came out of retirement to found Golden. Here’s a little history on Bocour, as told by Sam Golden’s oldest son, and great nephew of Leonard Bocour, in a colorful manner. Their shop was a regular stop for a who’s who of artists, like Mark Rothko, Willem de Kooning, Jackson Pollock, Helen Frankenthaler and Jack Levine, who came in to order paint and request mixes.

On the company history pages of Golden Paints web site, there is this interesting story of the first mix of artist acrylics (commercial use was earlier), which includes the following:

“At the height of the depression in the 1930s, Sam Golden joined his uncle Leonard Bocour as a partner in Bocour Artist Colors. Leonard and Sam produced hand-ground oil colors for artists. The shop on 15th Street in Manhattan became a hangout for artists from the 1930s through the early 1950s. Artists such as Barnett Newman, Mark Rothko, Willem de Kooning, Jackson Pollock, Helen Frankenthaler and Jack Levine would go to the shop to visit with Leonard, talk to Sam and get paint.”

“During one visit an artist gave Sam a honey like resin and asked if it could be made into paint. Sam recognized that this idea would require experimentation as the early batches of the new paint seemed to dry before the paint was applied. Between 1946 and 1949, and after much trial and error, the first artist acrylic paint was ready for production. One of the earliest artists to use the paint “Magna”, was Morris Louis. Sam eventually developed a more popular waterborne version of the acrylic, ‘Aquatec.’ He continued to refine the chemistry of acrylic paints working with artists for the next 20 years to find what worked and what did not."

“After 30 years in the paint making business, Sam retired and moved to picturesque New Berlin, New York. Sam planned to fish and golf, but quickly grew bored with retirement and found himself ‘going to the barn to make paint for friends.’ At the age of 67 Sam decided to come out of retirement.”

“Golden Artist Colors, Inc. began in June of 1980 in a 900 square foot, renovated barn. Sam, his wife Adele, son Mark and daughter-in-law Barbara Golden along with partner Chuck Kelly, founded a new company that would embody Sam’s dedication to professional artists, work Sam described as simply ‘making tools for artists.’”

And that is the rest of the story….

If I remember correctly, Leonard Bocour died in 1993, and Sam Golden, his nephew and partner, in 1997. We stand on the shoulders of giants.

Frannie

Wow and wow!!
I loved your contribution!!
I do not know this mark. It does not get to Chile. I generally work with Winsor & Newton

I work with Winsor & Newton, also. But recently I have been looking into Golden as an alternative or addition
to my oil paints. So it was wonderful to stumble upon this rich history derived from Bocour, and the first artist acrylics.
I’m glad you found it enjoyable too. It has given me great confidence in trying out Golden.

The article on Bocour’s history as told through the voice of his great nephew is a great read, also! It’s the first link
up there in my comment.

helene ruiz helene ruiz 2806 posts

congrats to everyone!

helene ruiz helene ruiz 2806 posts

Frannie….i love your mini reviews…..you have a natural gift at this….amazing….thank you madalena for featuring de la noche…

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3174 posts

What a stunning collection Helene and Mada, and such a great introduction!
Frannie, you are the most amazing Group Host and contribute such fabulous narrative and insight too.

Congratulations to all the artists featured today. Some real ‘stand outs’ in these Acrylic works and I am full of admiration. I’ve tried the medium, but couldn’t get along with it at all!!!!

Elizabeth Kendall Elizabeth Kendall 2562 posts

Excellent art!

Congratulations to all featured here and thanks so much for including my work. This is a super group!! Thanks for all the info and effort you put into it Madalena and Frannie!

Maree Clarkson Maree Clarkson 3218 posts

Thank you for this beautiful display and wonderful info Madalena! Congratulations to all the featured artists and thank you for including my image, a lovely honour!

@Elizabeth, this was all Helene and Mada’s work. I didn’t do a thing except sit back and enjoy! (and comment ;)

@Lynda, I just happened on that article the other day when reading up on Golden Artist Colors.
How lucky that this tidbit of info related to the earliest artist acrylics. Cool stuff huh? (So I bookmarked it!)

@Helene, you’re a sweetheart. Great features between you and Mada; and I love the very expressive one Mada chose of yours. Congrats!

frontofbicycle frontofbicycle 279 posts

This Princess is very happy, thank you for including me amongst some great artists … Enjoyed reading all comments too … Great group to be in!! Thanks again!!

Elizabeth Kendall Elizabeth Kendall 2562 posts

Ok, thanks Helene! And Fran…I enjoyed your comments!

@Elizabeth, great; and thank you, too. :)

JolanteHesse JolanteHesse 594 posts

Beautiful works… and thanks for the information. Congratulations all!

Wow Ladies!!
All of us made this group great!
There are very good artists in this group so the hosts have to act according to our artists.
Each day, looking at the works admitted to the group, I really enjoy the quality and I can not stop thinking, that we, women artists, have twisted the hands of fate, and here we are making history, taking the space and filling gaps! Oh Yes!!!

LOL.

Mada you are the perfect spokesperson for this group. What a fine leader you are, with the perfect words of encouragement.

Thank you :)
Jolante, Elizabeth, frontofbicycle, Lynda, Frannie, Helene