Women Painters - ('FINE ART' only)

A group for women painters and their traditional art

Sunday 03-02-2013 - Featuring Watercolor

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 6539 posts
  • “What a splendid thing watercolor is to express atmosphere and distance, so that the figure is surrounded by air and can breathe in it” Vincent van Gogh
  • “Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.”
  • “Watercolor is like life. Better get it right the first time – you don’t get a second chance!” Sergei Bongart

Definition Watercolor is a painting on paper or cardboard with diluted in water colors. The colors used are transparent (based on the amount of water in the mixture) and sometimes reveal the paper background (white), which acts as another real tone. It consists of pigments bound with gum arabic, honey or sugar. Procedures used in the clearcoat paint in order to achieve greater brightness and looseness in the composition.

• The history of watercolor is intimately linked to the history of paper, invented by the Chinese, though, their ancestors are the Egyptians, who applied the paintings and drawings on papyrus, first with spot colors, and then faded inks. getting the first “claroscuros” (clear dark)..
  • In the eighth century, the Chinese used watercolors to decorate painting on silk and on rice paper. In Europe during the Middle Ages, watercolors was used for the decoration of the manuscripts, which were used for water-soluble pigments, bonded with an egg by densifier.

• In Europe during the Middle Age watercolor was used for the decoration of manuscripts, for which is used water soluble pigment, agglomerated with a densifier, derived from eggs.

• The medieval frescoes were made with a base of white paint, to which were added various pigments diluted in water. Later appears gouache, who was also a painting that had water as a diluent, though, was an opaque paint.
  • Moreover, the fresco called “boun” is a special watercolor, which was used for painting on wet plaster walls, a technique that was used for the murals of the Sistine Chapel.

• The artists of the sixteenth and seventeenth used watercolor occasionally, and they used to do it in monochrome. They used to do, a brown pigment obtained from soot called “bistre” (is ineffective because it is not permanent), or another, taken from the squid, which had a sepia tone.
  • The invention of oil painting by the Flemish masters, declined a little interest in fresco painting and watercolor was relegated, as the vehicle to make preliminary sketches or as a tool for studies.
  • For Anglophiles, watercolor was invented in England in the eighteenth century. Although, in all honesty, the first European school of watercolor dates from 1471 by the influence of the painter Albrecht Dürer, who used this technique masterfully, creating school, but we must recognize too that the real breakthrough came in England in the eighteenth century This process was aided by technological advances, which developed the imperialist England.
    The production was improved, and the quality of paper and pigments arriving at British ports, from all over the world.

• At the same time, the French also developed, many paintings using watercolor technique. Among these artists, we mention Jean Honore Fragonard (1732-1806) who devoted a significant number of his works in watercolor.
  • But, as mentioned, the perfecting of this ancient art, was consolidated in the imperialist England, where the artists had risen watercolor to a category, as high as oil. One of their representatives highlight is William Turner, romantic landscape painter.

• From this moment, watercolor, became the preferred technique for many artists, not only English, but European and American, giving to the landscape painters, the ideal tool to convey their perceptions (brightness, movement, reflection, transparency) . The Americans Childe Hassam, James A. McNeill, John Singer Sargent, John LaFarge, Maurice Prendergast, Thomas Eakins, Winslow Homer and Whistler, gave watercolor, prestige and range of expression, comparing it with painting “oil”.
  • The first association in support of watercolor was created in England in 1804, the “British Society of Painters in Watercolours”.
  • During the American Civil War, the drawings of artist-reporters, his watercolors of scenes of war were used as illustrations in newspapers and magazines.
    In 1866, was founded the “American Society of Painters in Watercolours”, and for the first time, were exhibited in art galleries, watercolor paintings with oil paintings.
  • Aimé Bonpland, is the representative of painters explorers who traveled through many countries, doing an impressive job, copying many wildlife species unknown in Europe. The work and passion of Aimé Bonpland influenced other artists who continued this work among which may be mentioned Auguste Morissot, Camille Pisarro Antone Goering, Fritz Melbye, Bellerman Ferdinand and Raymond Theophile.
  • Finally, a curiosity: the first abstract painting in the history of art was painted in watercolor, in the year 1910, by Wassily Kandinsky

• 2 Importants British watercolour Artists: Hellen Allingham and Kate Greenaway

The Rabit Hutch by Helen Allingham

Young girl with a muff by Kate Greenaway

Copyright Information
Fair use rationale:
1. it is a historically significant artwork that could not be conveyed in words.
2. the image is only for information, education, and analysis and is for nonprofit educational purposes
3. Their inclusion in the article adds significantly to the article, because they show a major type of work produced by the artist.
4. the image is readily available on the internet
5. the image is a low resolution copy of the original artwork and is unsuitable for commercial use

• Congratulations Women Painters with featured artworks!
This selection is made by me and Helene.

Please join us in congratulating these talented artists

Crazy Rooster
by Lora Garcelon

Rainbow parrot
by Karin Zeller

Oryx in flight
by Claudia Dingle

Eye-Catching Bald Eagle
by BarbBarcikKeith

Hand-Painted Vase
by RobynLee

yellow still life
by Tania Vasylenko

My Geranium would like to see you…
by Maree Clarkson

Autumn's Gift
by © Linda Callaghan

Pink Poppy Explosion
by Ruth S Harris

Margaret's Roses
by Ann Mortimer

Tropics..Bamboo Night
by © Janis Zroback

Turpin Falls, Kyneton Vic Australia
by Margaret Morgan

Landscape
by Bev Wells

Here comes summer!
by Elizabeth Kendall

Africa in my Soul…
by Stephie Butler

"Woman's head"
by Tatjana Larina

Lilly
by Heidi Erisman

ELLA
by Beatrice Cloake N.A.P.A

Hello there
by Freda Surgenor

Dragon Toes
by AngieDavies

Cindy Schnackel Cindy Schnackel 4952 posts

Very interesting info, beautiful selections! Congrats on your features ladies!

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3176 posts

A beautifully compiled feature Mada with such an interesting introduction! Congratulations to all the featured watercolourists. So many talented people!!!!!

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37016 posts

Such an interesting read on Watercolor. I didn’t realize that the English had such a long term influence on watercolors so late in their history (other than, of course the Winsor & Newton brand :)) That’s fascinating! And I love that we have one acrylic in the bunch (Elizabeth Kendall’s :))

I had not seen a number of these before: Heidi’s “Lilly” is really powerful; the deep gold in Tania Vasylenko’s “yellow still life” is scrumptious; the wild splashes and bold shapes in Lora’s “Crazy Rooster” are really fun; and I’m a fan of the spaces and minimalism in Claudia’s “Oryx in flight”; and Freda’s “Hello there” is just outstanding; Stef’s “Africa in my Soul” is another long time favorite. And… now I have a bunch of new favorites to visit, too.

Congratulations everyone! And thanks for the wonderful history of Watercolor, Mada!

helene ruiz helene ruiz 2799 posts

congrats to all..beautiful beautiful work!

I think I’ve visited everyone. How fun was that! Congrats again and to Helene and Mada as well, for pulling this together.

Elizabeth Kendall Elizabeth Kendall 2540 posts

Many thanks for featuring my acrylic amongst all these beautiful watercolour paintings! The history of watercolour is very interesting, thanks for your hard work Madalena. Congratulations to all fellow artists, your watercolor art is beautiful! Also enjoyed Fran’s comment!

Linda Callaghan Linda Callaghan 958 posts

wonderful features…congrats all and thank you so much for including my Autumn’s Gift! appreciated…

Kargin Kargin 83 posts

Once again os informative and such a beautiful selections from the group

Ann Mortimer Ann Mortimer 98 posts

There is some exciting work here…I am proud to be part of this selection. Thank you Madalena!

JolanteHesse JolanteHesse 569 posts

Congratulations to all the artists of these stunning works!

Margaret Morgan (Watkins) Margaret Morga... 253 posts

Congratulations everyone, great diverse selection

Beatrice Cloake Beatrice Cloake 9336 posts

What a wonderful article! I have found a little more about watercolour. Thank you so much for your hard work Madalena and for having one of my paintings standing among these gorgeous work. A real honour.

Congratulations to you all for these treasures!

Ruth S Harris Ruth S Harris 144 posts

What a fascinating article, so much I never knew about watercolours! Thank you for including my poppies in your selection, and congratulations to everyone else included!

AngieDavies AngieDavies 545 posts

I absolutely loved the information on the history of watercolor, much of which I did not know. The examples were also wonderful!!! What a great collection of features! I am honored to be included in this group! Thanks for your work in putting together this great collection and information!

Terri Maddock Terri Maddock 3192 posts

Congratulations to the featured artists today – great selection of beautiful works, and a great intro to watercolour too

Claudia Dingle Claudia Dingle 681 posts

Big thank you to Mada and Helene. And congratulations to all fellow artists.

It was a wonderful read with something new to learn for me. I very much enjoyed this.

uuuupppss an fantastic acrylic amond wonderful watercolors….

LOL! Mada, we would all be better off if everyone erred on the side of eagerness and excitement over another’s creation of beauty and skill.

Not to worry. Bravo on the entire collection!

OMG…I was very concerned with the history of watercolor. I read several articles and I also worried a lot with my English. I suffered a lot looking for Honore Fragonard watercolors, without any success, I thought that Beatrice could offend with my “imperialist” England…and I placed an acrylic, between watercolors
….This is very, very unusual

I apologize, with Elizabeth (who always paint very good watercolors), and with all of you!!!

Girls :)

I am glad you liked the story of watercolor. I learned a lot about a technique that I use very little.
The works selected by me and Helene, are really very good, made ​​with skill. showing the various forms and genres of watercolor.
And, well….. the acrylic is also fabulous!!

Mada, there was much more that struck me, about your article that I did not first mention. Kandinsky, making the first abstract in watercolor? Love that tidbit! I simply adore your beautiful examples and reminders of some of the greatest painters of all time who also used watercolor for masterpieces.

Frannie :))

Thank you so very much!!

Beatrice Cloake Beatrice Cloake 9336 posts

Ah ah ah!!! Me offended? The day has not arrived….. :0)

I would not worry about Acrylic in the middle of Watercolour. Here in UK, people are arguing because the Watercolour Society is now accepting Acrylic applied as watercolour LOL …. I do not !!!! :0 :)

LOL, I often apply oil as watercolor (but then I get the cry from some to “add more paint!”…. ) I love your note, Beatrice.
That’s fascinating about the Watercolor Society accepting watercolor-like applications of acrylic into the group.
I imagine those would be difficult to tell apart from true watercolor. I’d be interested in hearing more about that, some time.