Delivery by Dec 24 has ended: Get 10% off instantly emailed gift certificates with code NOT2LATE

Women Painters - ('FINE ART' only)

A group for women painters and their traditional art

Features for 18th December focusing on 'Hair!'

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36393 posts

Featuring Hair!

Who doesn’t love hair? Today, we show it off, with 12 fabulous works featuring great hair!
Lynda Robinson and I selected these dozen from the gallery, and there are so many more!

But first, a warm-up!

Hair at the theatre: Stage and Movies!

Does anyone remember these?

Hair, the 1967 rock musical.
Hair – 2009 – BEST MUSICAL REVIVAL 2009 TONY AWARD    

Hair logo and artwork © Michael Butler.

© producers and graphic artists for the film

Shampoo, produced by
Warren Beatty, Lester Persky, Charles Maguire,
with Columbia Pictures, 1975

Lyrics to the 1967 song from the (Hippie, in case you can’t tell) musical, Hair
Songwriters: Rado, James; Ragni, Gerome;

She asks me why, I’m just a hairy guy
I’m hairy noon and night, hair that’s a fright
I’m hairy high and low, don’t ask me why, don’t know
It’s not for lack of bread, like the Greatful Dead, darlin’

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there, momma, everywhere, daddy, daddy

Hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair

Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees
A nest for birds, there ain’t no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair

I want long, straight, curly, fuzzy, snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided
Powered, flowered and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spahettied

Oh say, can you see my eyes if you can
Then my hair’s too short
Down with here, down to there
Down till there, down to where it’s stuck by itself

They’ll be ga-ga at the go-go, when they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond, brilliantined, biblical hair
My hair like Jesus wore it, Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son, why don’t my mother love me?

Hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow
My hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow
My hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow
My hair

Hair Style Setters – the last 60 years

Mamie Eisenhower, circa 1952
Official Whitehouse Portrait
credit U.S. Government

Audrey Hepburn, 1954
credit Studio portrait

Jackie Kennedy, circa 1960
Official Whitehouse Portrait
credit U.S. Government

Twiggy
credit promotional image

Angelina Jolie
credit Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

Beyonce
credit Allende/NY Post/Splash

Diana Ross, December 2, 2007
Kennedy Center Honoree
credit U.S. Government

Rihanna, April 28, 2010
credit oouinouin, license

Women Painters proudly introduces the following traditional artworks with fabulous hair

Contemplation Nue
by Heidi Erisman

Woman with earring
by Manana11

Portrait of Alan Bidstrup
by Lynda Robinson

The Mighty Roar
by Tahnja

‘Georgie: a study in red’ 2011Ⓒ Oil painting on canvas.
by Elizabeth/Liz Moore Golding

My Love is too Beautiful…
by Laura Hutton

Farrah
by BarbBarcikKeith

Farewell My Spring
by Annika Hiltunen

Snail Do Lady
by Fay Helfer

daisy chain
by LisaMM

GLORIA ROSE BLACK AND WHITE BEAUTY
by kimberlysdream

The French Girl, Jade
by JolanteHesse

Presenting “Hair”, featured works

Contemplation Nue
by Heidi Erisman

Oil on Canvas
60 × 100 cm.

Woman with earring
by Manana11

Charcoal, graphite pencil on whatman paper

Portrait of Alan Bidstrup
by Lynda Robinson

Pastel on Burgundy Colourfix Paper
50 × 70 cm.

The Mighty Roar
by Tahnja

Acrylic Impasto on stretched canvas
10 × 8 in.

‘Georgie: a study in red’ 2011Ⓒ Oil painting on canvas.
by Elizabeth/Liz Moore Golding

Oil on canvas

My Love is too Beautiful…
by Laura Hutton

Medium not stated

Farrah
by BarbBarcikKeith

9×12 graphite and gouache (highlights) on Canson drawing paper

Farewell My Spring
by Annika Hiltunen

Soft pastels and colored pencils

Snail Do Lady
by Fay Helfer

Pyrography: crushed pastel and turmeric on wood
18 × 24 in.

daisy chain
by LisaMM

Ink and Pencil on paper

GLORIA ROSE BLACK AND WHITE BEAUTY
by kimberlysdream

Acrylic on cotton canvas

The French Girl, Jade
by JolanteHesse

Oil on canvas
35 × 45 cm.

Congratulations, Jolante, Kimberly, Lisa, Fay, Annika, Barbara, Laura, Liz, Tahnja, Lynda, Maria, and Heidi!

Although, Lynda Robinson and I selected the featured works, the feature is from all of us, at Women Painters:
Madalena, Helene, Lynda, and myself.

What are some of your favorite techniques to paint hair? If you are a featured artist, in this collection, how did
you approach the hair?

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 5157 posts

Yes, Congratulations to all the artists withworks featured artworks in this very, very fabulous selection!!!!
All great artworks!

Frannie and Lynda

Is wonderful to come to this thread and enjoy this features about something so special as hair. The hair and erotic relationship has been a constant in the history of mankind. It was also a form of protest to be cut off …it has always been used as a “weapon” for women.

Really is a pleasure to see the features of the great equipe composed by you 2!!

Frannie
Congratulations!! I love your introducion to the hair issue.

Thanks, @Mada, it’s a fun topic! :D That’s an interesting bit of history you have added, about cutting
off hair being a form of protest for women. I had certainly not considered that more serious side.

Beatrice Cloake Beatrice Cloake 8524 posts

No bad hair day on here! :)

All very beautiful! Brilliant works of Art. Congratulations to all featured artists.

Manana11 Manana11 159 posts

Thank you so much Frannie and Madalena ! It’s a great feeling to see own work in such a beautiful selection !

LisaMM LisaMM 1487 posts

I’m in heaven :-)))) A feature on hair, my most favourite drawing subject.

A truly wonderful and inspiring feature, thank you for including my work. I love all the added information, the soundtrack to Hair was playing in my head as i read on…..love the images of past hair trendsetter……congratulations Fran, Madalena, Helene and Lynda on a great feature.

I would love to share a tiny piece of feedback with you, in answer to your question offered…..I love to draw hair with nib and ink, getting fine lines and details and allow the hair to weave about, in order to express a certain emotion or thought for each particular drawing. :-)

I would love to read others favourite techniques and approaches??? Please share :-))))

Congratulations to all artists.

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3196 posts

Doesn’t it all look marvellous? I will be singing that song from ‘Hair’ all day! Huge Congratulations to all the featured ones, (and thanks for sneaking one of mine in there too Frannie, you rascal)!!!!

I love your description of how you go about conveying hair LisaMM. I find painting hair relatively easy with pastel. I look for the darkest tones and fill in the hair ‘shape’ by doing lots of smudging and blending as I go. In the case of ‘Portrait of Alan Bidstrup’ my darkest tones were blues and greys – the same colours were used for his eyes, and echoed again in his clothing. Then I used lighter tones over the top of my darks to create the wispy look of his amazing grey hair, by wriggling the edge of the pastel around sometimes, or just using light strokes.

We’re delighted to see and feature this original, traditional work from you, Maria; yea! and she has great hair!
Congratulations.

Lol, Beatrice. No bad hair day, indeed! Thanks so much for popping a comment in here. :)

So hair is the tool for expression, eh, Lisa? I can see that. Your ladies always have fabulous hair, in fact.

And Lynda, yes I can be a “rascal” sometimes. But your portrait of Alan Bidstrup just has the best white hair!
So believable. I love those tiny “wriggles” of pastel you used to bring it to life. Cool description!

JolanteHesse JolanteHesse 521 posts

Congratulations to all the featured artists; and thanks so much for including The French Girl.
I paint hair in layers of paint, from light to darker areas and then usually glazing or tinting the last layer. This was one of my first portraits and I simply layered my paints.

Terri Maddock Terri Maddock 3248 posts

Great gallery of features Lynda & Frannie – I always look forward to the features pages in the groups, it’s a good chance to check out other portfolios too.
Congratulations to everyone featured here today – wonderful work!

Lisa, I love your proposal to share techniques. The hair of your women are always a poem!!!

Lynda and Jolante, thanks for sharing with us.

I believe that we are all a little (lot) mixed race, and I express that painting my women hair differently on both sides.
Different textures and different colors too. Generally I work hair, first with knife, then, I textured with sgraffito and finally I use glazes with different colors.

@Mada, I love your description of how you paint hair. I love knife painting, and can see where that
would make for some great hair! Your women always have full, beautiful heads of hair. Now I’m going
to look closely at them to see your technique!

@Terri, thanks! It’s always fun to feature in this group, too. Such a pleasure.

@Jolante, you’re welcome, nice to hear about you glazing the last layer! Wonderful way to pull it all together!

Heidi Erisman Heidi Erisman 142 posts

My dearest friends at Painted Women! What a fun and glorious theme! And great question regarding how one approached hair. I actually have the most anxiety about painting hair, more so than any other element in figure painting, because I can’t plan for it like I can with skin or composition! I always start our with some fear as to how its’ going to turn out. Hair grows and go’s in many directions and often has many, many colours in it.

I first learned to paint hair online. I sought tutorials by artists who painted dogs and wolves. Yes, their techniques helped me find a process for painting heads of hair. For painting in oil, I layer, starting with a solid ground colours, dark to light, drying between, then add contrasting detail. When I went to art school last spring, there I was advised to paint tones horizontally across the planes of the head and not take long vertical strokes in an effort to imitate hair. In this way, one can capture the sections where light changes hair colour. So my approach to painting hair has been a journey of trial and error, instruction and experiment!

Heidi Erisman Heidi Erisman 142 posts

Also, I simply love the hair outcomes demonstrated in paintings here by my painting colleagues. Thank you for including me and the opportunity to share my approach and learn from others!

Cheers!
Heidi

Heidi
Wow!! love your work with hair!
I think tht the errors we make in our searches are very importants. For sometimes we forget certain steps or techniques but we never forget a mistake!

Cheers

LisaMM LisaMM 1487 posts

such a wonderful discussion with fascinating insights to “hair” and how we approach the creation of it…..I love reading of each persons techniques, especially with the paint and knives, as this is something i am not familiar with but find so interesting as it has a unique tactile result. :-)))

helene ruiz helene ruiz 2742 posts

congrats to everyone! love the topic!