Women Painters - ('FINE ART' only)

A group for women painters and their traditional art

Features for 12th December focusing on 'Complimentary Colours'

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3149 posts

Hello all you lovely ladies who make this group such a fine place to be!!!!

Here are the features, mainly picked by Frannie this week, because Lynda has been busier than a ping pong ball in a tumble drier!!! We thought we would look for works that use primarily ‘complimentary’ (or ‘complementary’ as it is spelled by the English) colours. Most artists will know that if you use colours that are opposite each other on the colour wheel (i.e. red/green, blue/orange, yellow/purple) the result will be extremely eyecatching. Here is some more information on Complementary Colours.

Wishing you all a wonderful week………….

Lynda posted the message – on behalf of Frannie, Mada and Helene

Features for December 12, 2012
“Complimentary Colors”

‘Provence lemons in a copper bowl’. 2012Ⓒ
by Elizabeth/Liz Moore Golding

Compliments: Violet and Gold

Crossing Paths
by Laura Barbosa

Compliments: Blue and Orange

Girl in a Hundertwasser Landscape
by Belinda BillyLee NYE

Compliments: Red and Green

Frida with butterflies
by Madalena Lobao-Tello

Concerto….A Winter Poem…
by © Janis Zroback

Why I Live Where I Live
by Lynda Robinson

Compliments: Violet and Gold, Magenta and Pale Green

Before the storm (Williamstown-Victoria-Australia)
by Ivana Pinaffo

Compliments: Blue and Orange, Violet and Gold

Girl braiding her hair….
by Renate Dartois

Transition
by Helenka

Compliments: Blue and Orange

the last child
by donnamalone

Christmas Kitty
by Pam Humbargar

Little boxes
by Elizabeth Kendall

‘Provence lemons in a copper bowl’. 2012Ⓒ
by Elizabeth/Liz Moore Golding

Oil on canvas.
74 × 53 cm.

Crossing Paths
by Laura Barbosa

(Medium unknown)

Girl in a Hundertwasser Landscape
by Belinda BillyLee NYE

Mixed Media: Acrylic, Collage, Oil

Frida with butterflies
by Madalena Lobao-Tello

Mixed Media: Acrylic, Collage

Concerto….A Winter Poem…
by © Janis Zroback

Watercolour on Arches paper

Why I Live Where I Live
by Lynda Robinson

Pastel on Colourfix sanded paper (burgundy)
70 x 50 cm.

Before the storm (Williamstown-Victoria-Australia)
by Ivana Pinaffo

Acrylic on stretched canvas
24 × 18 in.

Girl braiding her hair….
by Renate Dartois

Acrylic on canvas paper
12 × 16 in.

Transition
by Helenka

Acrylic on canvas

the last child
by donnamalone

Oil on canvas

Christmas Kitty
by Pam Humbargar

Pastel on paper
9 × 11 in.

Little boxes
by Elizabeth Kendall

Acrylic paint, palette knife: Painted on an x-raysheet.
30 × 24 cm.

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37008 posts

WOW!!! They are gorgeous! Amazing works!

Great job with our features, @Lynda! Whoohoo!

Congratulations everyone!!

Lynda, by the way, chose our theme of “complimentary colors”. There were probably 100 works in Women Painters
that were feature worthy in this theme. So we just have 12 works representing this wonderful genre.

Elizabeth Moore Golding Elizabeth Moor... 154 posts

Nice surprise! Hi Lynda, Frannie, et al! Well, I am truly complimented by you including my ‘Provence Lemons’
which do indeed use complementary colours! Thank you so much for this feature, which I share with other
excellent talent!

I love that painting, Liz.

Elizabeth Kendall Elizabeth Kendall 2541 posts

Many thanks for featuring this “oldie” of mine! Congrats to all others! Well done!!

Maree Clarkson Maree Clarkson 3464 posts

Absolutely stunning and yes, very eye-catching! Congratulations to all the featured artists, wonderful work!

Thank you me dear Frannie for choosing one of mine!!!
Yoo Hoo up there Elizabeth K – mine is an oldie too!!! I lurve your little boxes, and now I have that song running through my brain!!!!
Waving at you Elizabeth M-G and I love those luscious looking lemons of yours too! It is such a gorgeously ‘fresh’ painting.
All the works are so wonderful and I really think our feature page looks spectacular today.
Thanks for all your help Frannie. You are such an asset to this group and us other hostie gals really appreciate everything you do….

Hi Frannie – and thank you so much for your lovely words about my painting!

And hi and waving at you too Lynda as the downpour comes and I guess your bushfires are well
and truly out now! Thank you for saying all those nice things about my lemons (now in great profusion),
and just love your very distinctive Lynda-esque pastel of yours. Beautiful work.

Belinda "BillyLee" NYE (Printmaker) Belinda "Billy... 88 posts

Yah, so happy to be featured with such amazing artists this week. I love seeing the artwork enlarged to such a huge size. Thank you …Billy

Ivana Pinaffo Ivana Pinaffo 880 posts

Thank you so much Frannie,I am honoured and delighted to be amongst such an excellent array of art works

Alga Washington Alga Washington 351 posts

Gorgeous selection!

I’d love to hear from everyone whether your choice of compliments is conscious or unconscious, at first.
Of course, later into the process, you might realize; but is it pre-meditated?

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 6926 posts

Lynda and Frannie

You 2 really have a very great criteria to choose your features! Congratulations!The link to “Complementary colors” is a very good idea!

Thank you so very much for select my painting!! You just made me a very happy woman :)

In my case the selection of colors is absolutely unconscious. I think I’m quite colourist and colors are more important for me than the forms

Madalena Lobao-Tello Madalena Lobao... 6926 posts

Congratulations to all artists on having their fabulous work featured in this wonderful gallery!!

©Janis Zroback ©Janis Zroback 8076 posts

Thank you so much and congratulations to all featured artists….

JolanteHesse JolanteHesse 597 posts

Beautiful selection – congratulations all!

Pam Humbargar Pam Humbargar 606 posts

A beautiful collection of artwork!!! Congratulations to everyone and thanks for including one of mine:))

minou41 minou41 259 posts

Beautiful collection of Art here congratulations to all the artists and i am so honored to be included.

My use is unconscious most of the time too! I do often consciously add a complementary colour
to another to ‘grey’ something down when I’m working, and if there are lots of greens in a landscape
I always add a few slashes of red somewhere.

Your replies on the conscious or unconscious use of colors are interesting, Madalena and Lynda
(so far… hope others will join in). For me, also the color choices are not based on the color wheel,
but, probably the underlying emotions of the scene, or maybe a feeling I sense underlies the work.
Then I start mixing colors. There is some conscious play there, but it’s very interactive and malleable.

I agree Frannie. I like what you said very much. You can get ‘bogged down’ by trying to follow the ‘rules’, and often the end result seems to have naturally followed the rules anyway. I have a really lovely colour wheel gizzmo, and I do consult it occasionally, but most of the time my work just ‘evolves’. I think practice makes perfect. I know my sense of colour has changed considerably from when I first started painting. Now I really ‘see’ colours that I wouldn’t have even noticed ten years ago.

Laura Barbosa Laura Barbosa 118 posts

I am truly honored to be a part of this talented group and to have my painting “Crossing Paths” featured on this page – Thank you so much for supporting my art ~ HAPPY HOLIDAYS :0))

Congrats, @Laura. I simply love the cat and the Weimaraner (I used to have one, named
“Howdy Houston”, “Howdy” for short). My cat and dog played all of the time. When the cat
was bored, he would even start the game, by jumping on the back of an overstuffed chair
and swatting the wagging tail of the dog. lol.

It is interesting, @Lynda, when things end up looking as if it was all planned out in advance,
when really the work actually evolved (with a little forethought, too, of course). And yes, this
must be from the experienced eye. We’ve been training our eyes since children, as I believe
that most artists have actually been on the path of loving, appreciating, and casually studying
art longer than they have been actually practicing art.

Thanks for joining in. I really wondered, seeing all of these, whether the artists didn’t pre-plan
the complementary scheme, or did plan it! I only wish I had asked it a little earlier. It’s great to
hear from you and Mada! ;)