Uncommon Materials to draw or paint with

Do you paint with acrylics and salt? Watercolours and red wine? Tea and pencils? Inks and lemon? Then this is the right place for you!

Painting with beet juice by Marsha Elliott

Ina Mar Ina Mar 172 posts
Marsha Elliott, a 64-year-old watercolor artist from Covington, Ohio, is the winner of our challenge Painting with edible and drinkable materials
This rose was painted with beet juice!
Congratulations Marsha!
melliott melliott 62 posts

As I was pouring the juice off the beets we had for dinner one night, I noticed how beautiful & transparent the juice was. I thought to myself….“well, why not?” So here is the result of my experiment.

The juice was extremely transparent so it took several layers to reach the darkest areas you see here. I did use water mixed with the juice to get the lightest areas. Beet juice has staining qualities so after several weeks, it hasn’t lost any of its brilliance. I hope the same can be said a year from now. Only time will tell.

It was a lot of fun to experiment with an uncommon material and I hope someday down the road, I will get inspired again to try something else.

I feel honored to receive all the votes that made me a winner in this contest….thank you so very much.

Cindy Schnackel Cindy Schnackel 4905 posts

Beautiful and unusual work!