Uncommon Materials to draw or paint with

Do you paint with acrylics and salt? Watercolours and red wine? Tea and pencils? Inks and lemon? Then this is the right place for you!

Painting with... wax

Ina Mar Ina Mar 176 posts

Share your experiences about wax painting!

leunig leunig 445 posts

I will give it a try and get back to you

© Angela L Walker © Angela L Walker 870 posts
Hi All,

I started painting with wax in January of this year; before I used wax only as an adhesive in collage work and melted crayons whenever I wanted to add color. I like the results so much, I started studying various ways to actually paint using pigmented wax. It is more than a notion, but well worth the work in my mind. I use a pancake griddle and/or the Ranger Melting Pot to liquidfy my wax and then paint with it over drawings, etc.

Please don’t hesitate to ask me any questions about encaustic painting or how to use it in various moderations… Of course, I’m still learning but I’m willing to share what I’ve learned with fellow artists.

BTW: True encaustic painting come with a serious warning on having proper ventilation: I slowed down my encaustic painting significantly after reading all the warnings… yet, I still open my patio doors and dabble here and there with this wonderful medium/method of painting.

Angela, thank you for sharing your know-how! I have been reading your procedure here as well as in your artwork descriptions with big wide eyes!

Here is a collection of artworks using wax or bees wax, most belonging to our “Uncommon Materials” Group. I can’t help noticing that they all have a very bright colored appearance… Enjoy!

Jesus
by RealPainter
(not in the group)
The Cavern
by Richard Tuvey
Magical Mystery Tour
by Richard Tuvey
The Rock Face
by Richard Tuvey
Outback landscape
by Richard Tuvey
Abstract expression 8
by Richard Tuvey
Poem about the sun
by John Douglas
(not in the group)
The inspector of tides
by John Douglas
(not in the group)
Maquette For ‘Meat Mouth’
by John Douglas
(not in the group)
Transitions
by Angela L Walker
The opal fields
by Richard Tuvey
Un-Named Painting
by Joel Kitts
Faulted
by Joel Kitts
Paddocks 7
by Richard Tuvey
Submission
by Joel Kitts
More Flowers in the Field
by Angela L Walker
Organic
by Angela L Walker
Model Nr. 5
by Michele Meister
Joel Kitts Joel Kitts 5 posts
I absolutely love working with wax as a medium, It is really something that takes all your effort to make how you want but also has properties that can turn what you have pictured in your head into something way beyond what you thought it would turn into! i like to use a heat gun after i have my wax placed to manipulate the wax and also ad more pigments and mediums. I recommend everyone gives it a go and see where it leads, i think you will be pleasantly surprised

Joel
I have also tried wax once. I did not really paint with wax as in encaustics. I just used the wax to prepare the background. I dripped paraffin candle wax on the support (an old book page) and crumpled the paper before the wax dried, then straightened it back. I painted with ink on the other side of the paper, that is the side where there was no wax. The result is a wrinkled but shiny and smooth texture, which was the contrasted and tactile effect I was trying to achieve. Also the ink line is not continuous, as ink is not properly absorbed by the parafin-imbibed parts of the paper – the irregular line is also a wished effect. It was fun experimenting with wax, but I am less sure about the longevity of my little drawing…

I do not intend to add this artwork to our group though, because I did not really “paint it with wax” – I rather prepared the support using this material…
© Angela L Walker © Angela L Walker 870 posts

Ina, you could use the piece you’ve shared here as a foundation for an amazing encaustic painting. Let me know if you want me to share some tips and ideas on how to make this piece even more awesome than you ever imagined… I really like what you’ve with it so far! :-)

Angela, thank you for this! In fact I am preparing a new project. It will be a series of monthly how-tos written by our group members, that will each be rewarded with a 20$ redbubble voucher. So I think this would be a great opportunity for all of us to learn more about this interesting technique! I will soon be posting more information about the how-tos!