Shop

Tee HQ

T-Shirt Headquarters.

Challenge Ideas.

Pip Gerard Pip Gerard 965 posts

lift the lid on your brains… and give us those ideas for some cool challenges.

Natalie Tyler Natalie Tyler 1493 posts

exploring different techniques is always fun … pen and ink, cut and paste, vector …

Nick Ford Nick Ford 358 posts

What about a colour theme? ………… only shades of blue. ………… Nah … that was done, wasn’t it, as a Tone Challenge at Superheros of Illustration i think.

Underwater?

Moose? ;) heheh

Or what about a MashUp.

Several different and varied objects that HAVE to be included in the image. … ie: Washing Machine, Teddy Bear and Gun. …? hmm strange choices aye? … or Candy, Lamp and Cutlery?

Just throwin ideas out there.

Simon Sherry Simon Sherry 1565 posts

How bout a collaborative one – I know that the t-revolution group had one – but it could be fun (and I missed the ball last time!). Or riffing off of Nick’s idea above, we all have to incorporate the same public domain image into our design – would be interesting to see what people would produce with the same ‘core ingredient’.

Yeah i like that Simon.

Kinda like ‘The Iron Chef’!!!! One core ingredient ….. how you handle it is up to you!

Nathan Davis Nathan Davis 25 posts

I’d vote for the Iron T-Shirt idea. Partially because I want to see the rich guy announce the secret ingredient as “WASHING MACHINE!!!”… I’m a simple man. :P

Maybe a sentence, headline or passage to be interpreted however… Something simple like “It was a dark and stormy night”. Dunno.

Lynsye Medalia Lynsye Medalia 399 posts

Ooooo! I like the Iron Tee idea! I also REALLY like Natalie’s idea….it would give more exposure to the entrants as individual artists. Pen & ink, colored pencil, vector, digital paint, acrylic, etc…..base the challenge on the original medium.

I love the iron chef!! that Chairman presenter is something quite “special”…. and his outfits!
And those voice overs.!! :)

Maybe the core ingredient PD image… should be of an artichoke ;P

Nick.. can you come up with the PD image? If you want?

Nick.. can you come up with the PD image? If you want?great ideas fellas… I love Si’s idea of a collaboritve challenge… will wait for more members before we go for that one.

Nick.. can you come up with the PD image? If you want?great ideas fellas… I love Si’s idea of a collaboritve challenge… will wait for more members before we go for that one.And Nat/Lynseye… great ideas… We’ll use em all!! keep em coming :)

Where’s a good site to find some PD images at a decent size? They’re all too small too work with for a decent Tee.

Any style in mind? Classic b/w oldschool image? ,, or like a photograph stock image (which people could vectorize if they want?) I found a nice yellow capsicum (or pepper) ….. that would be interesting to see what peeps did to it! Anything goes isn’t it? Tweak it, stretch it, multiply it, graffiti it, … pretty much change it into something completely different to a vegetable! That’s the idea isn’t it?

Simon… what are your thoughts on this one?

Could be a simple vector shape? that people could then paint, scribble, collage, vectorize… etc to make into whatever they want.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be something completely different would it?… could be a graffitied capsicum… or a capsicum with an animated face… or a capsicum amid an army of vegetables??

Hey, cool – I’m glad that idea made sense :o)

I kind of like the idea of the photo – perhaps we could try a couple of challenges (interspersed amongst the others) – special ingredients could be:

• A photo (ie Nick’s suggestion)
  • a clipping from a now-PD publication (magazine, book, whatever)
  • A sentence, as Nathan suggested (or a fragment of one) – conditional on having to include the text in the design somehow.
  • Mr Squiggle – someone puts together a random object (vector pixels, whatever) and our task is to try and turn it into something.
  • Line art/etching/oldschool artwork – as Nick suggested above.

Really, the possibilities are pretty limitless, and there should definitely be no limitation to how the ‘secret ingredient’ is used – that’s part of the fun isn’t it, taking something and seeing how many unique and individual twists can be applied to it?

BTW – to riff off of an idea from the international superheroes group – I like the idea of trying to apply the ‘never-ending illustration’ concept to tees – one big collaboration where one person creates a design, and hands over some of the artwork to the next person, who creates something as a ‘continuation’ of the previous design, and so on – would make for an interesting experiment imho… but I’m getting off track ;o)

Cheers
Si

That ‘never-ending illustration’ idea sounds very interesting.

Thoughts on this guy for the first challenge? Not sure about the size … maybe too small.

Definitely no limitation to how the ‘secret ingredient’ is used … yep. Anything goes!

I definitely like Damien’s never ending illustration idea… was impressed with that one. Wonder though whether it would transfer well to tees…. would be fun to try though.

We’ll make this challenge the one that is awarded to the RB voucher too so hopefully garner more interest.

Moose… perfect with the bright white background… will easily be able to make it transparent for tees.

I tried the pepper on an RB template and this is the size of it what do we think? Edge looks so jagged cause I had the wrong tolerance level (so GD eyes… just ignore that) LOL ;)

I reckon it’s be interesting to see what people do with it!

Shoot it down if you wanna ………. it was a first choice … i’ve gotta tough skin!

Suggestions welcome!

I really like the idea of the subject..(especially if we present the challenge like an Iron Chef challenge)… any other vegetable is just boring.
but I was just worried if it may be too small like you mentioned. But I’m happy to go for it…. its good resolution.. it’s in focus…. it has no shadows.

and you’re right… would be interesting to see what people do with it.

it’s decided… Moose’s bell pepper it is :)

Feel like writing up the challenge?

Awesome idea for a first ingredient guys – looking forward to the challenge!

Hey Pip … you wanna write it up? I’ve got a massive hangover from Grand Final day.

}:0(

the one that Melb storm won? :)

Yep. I’ll get something done for it tomorrow.

Core Ingredient Challenge?

Manipulate This Challenge?