The Great Lakes of North America (Include the Lake Name)

Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and Ontario and their immediate areas

Great Lakes in the News - Aug. 1, 2013

AuntieJ AuntieJ 425 posts

Safe to swim? Beach testing, warnings dry up
by Eric D. Lawrence, Detroit Free Press
Ashley Lyles and her daughters, ages 2 and 3, spent Thursday afternoon at Belle Isle Beach. But after learning that Detroit no longer tests the water for E. coli, the mother of two said she is considering not coming back. LINK to full article & video

Footage of pet coke cloud over Detroit River stirs controversy
by Jim Lynch, The Detroit Press
Controversial piles of petroleum coke that sit along the Detroit River are supposed to be gone by the end of August. But video footage, captured over the weekend, has caused new concerns about the material and its storage. The video shows winds blowing massive clouds of the material from the Detroit Bulk Storage property in southwest Detroit over the river into Canada.
LINK to full article & video

Low water level causes deep problem for Great Lakes shipping industry
by Dan Egan, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Ships are shedding weight to navigate increasingly shallow channels, creating what they say is a need for more dredging… The low water, coupled with a harbor dredging backlog, has drastically affected the big boats’ ability to float these materials. The official depth of the deep-draft navigation system is supposed to be 27.5 feet. The actual depth in some shallower harbors, rivers and channels this spring was closer to 25 feet. …for every inch that a 1,000 foot ship has to sail light, it must shed about 270 tons of cargo or risk running aground. …large freighters in the U.S. fleet started the shipping season sailing about 10% under capacity. LINK to full article
Water flushes through a greatly widened drain below Great Lakes Michigan, Huron
by Dan Egan, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Every time dredging widened and deepened the hole at the bottom of the lakes, the federal government was supposed to engineer a fix to maintain water levels – but it never did. …Lakes Michigan and Huron are actually one body of water — two lobes of the world’s largest freshwater lake — and this river pulls their waters southward toward Lake Erie, over Niagara Falls and, ultimately, out to the Atlantic Ocean. This makes the St. Clair River one of the most ecologically sensitive and hydrologically critical places in all the Great Lakes. It is also among the most ravaged. LINK to full article

New York pursues new plan for Great Lakes preservation
by Joseph Spector, Albany Bureau Chief; Elmira Star Gazette
New Yorkers can comment through Sept. 1 on a five-year plan to restore and improve the Great Lakes. The state said the plan will help boost Lake Erie and Lake Ontario in western and northern New York. The lakes have battled invasive species and decades of pollution… LINK to full article

Michigan senators and congressman consider Great Lakes cuts
by Morgan Sherburne, Petoskey News
…the U.S. House Committee on Appropriations will consider a bill that would cut 80 percent from Great Lakes funding. The proposed bill would cut funding of the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative from $285 million to just $60 million. LINK to full article
Sen. Sherrod Brown, Rep. Marcy Kaptur blast federal cuts in funding for Lake Erie, Great Lakes
by D’Arcy Egan, The Palin Dealer, Cleveland OH
“We’re at the doorstep of one of the most precious places in the world, the edge of America’s fresh water coast.” LINK to full article

Masses of plastic particles found in Great Lakes
WISC TV Channel 3/channel3000.com; Madison Wisconsin
Already ravaged by invasive species and industrial pollution, the Great Lakes now confront a newly discovered threat: untold millions of tiny plastic bits, some visible only through a microscope. LINK to full article

Schoon writes second book about Lake Michigan shoreline
Journal Gazette & Times Courier, Mattoon IL
The land is special. That’s why Ken Schoon has written his second book about the land south of Indiana’s Lake Michigan shoreline. “Dreams of Duneland: A Pictorial History of the Indiana Dunes Region” is his second on the subject of the dunes. LINK to full article

Sample blasting might not be needed for mine
The Daily Reporter, Milwaukee WI
A company looking to dig a huge iron mine just south of Lake Superior says it may not resort to blasting for thousands of tons of rock samples. LINK to full article
At Wisconsin mine site, confrontations give way to calm, for now
by Bill Glauber, Journal Sentinel, Milwaukee WI
Gogebic Taconite proposal continues to divide community…“eco-terrorists” and “paramilitary thugs” …protesters cursing and harassing the workers. Mining equipment was damaged and a cellphone and video camera were taken. …the mining company used security guards bearing assault rifles and dressed in camouflage fatigues. LINK to full article
Proposed Taconite Mine in the Penokee Range
The Sierra Club
The company Gogebic Taconite (GTAC) purchased the mineral rights for a vast area in northwestern Wisconsin— 21,000 acres along 22 miles of the beautiful Penokee Range in Ashland and Iron Counties. In 2011, GTAC proposed to build what could become the largest open-pit iron-ore mine in the world… LINK to full article NOTE: while this article does give a good background of the proposed mine, it contains logistical inaccuracies, The mine would be located in the Gogebic Range, incorrectly referred to as the Penokee Range (the Penokee Hills/Mountains are located in the Gogebic Range). Copper Falls State Park is actually located 15-20 miles south of Lake Superior, not on Lake Superior; the mine site is located just a few short miles south from the state park. The mine is located about 15 miles south of Lake Superior and in the middle of the Lake’s the watershed, which includes a number of Class I-III trout streams. It is also 5 miles from the Bad River Reservation boundary and close to the Chequamegon Nicholet National Forest. This mining issue really is tearing the community, my hometown, apart; there are families and friends no longer speaking to each other.