You look like you could use 20% off everything. Enter YOUEARNEDIT at checkout.

Solo Exhibition (closed for hiatus)

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

VaVoom's Tribute to Women

solo-exhibition solo-exhibition 2072 posts

Presenting VaVoom, Vibration in Art and Verse
“A Tribute to Women”

curated by Tori Yule
proudly sponsored by Solo Exhibition

At the beginning of our 2013 Solo season, I invited groups represented by their host, in our

4th Annual Host Hullabaloo, to work with Solo toward a sponsored group exhibition

for their members. Tori Yule hopped on that offer; and ten months later, here we are.

VaVoom is a very special group to Tori, who credits her predecessor host, Linaji, for the

early success and verve of VaVoom, Vibration in Art and Verse. I am proud to have been a

founding and featured member of VaVoom in the early days. It gives me great pleasure for

Solo to sponsor the art and writing of such diverse and sharply talented men and

women, this January 2014.

Similar to “Off-Broadway”, Solo Exhibition has its “off-season”, in November – March.

Last year, we started a tradition of “off-season” shows, curated by particularly brilliant

solo members. The VaVoom show continues this tradition, with Tori’s curation; but in

a new exciting vein—sponsored group exhibitions.

Tori Yule has curated a select group of artworks, poetry, and writing from about 35

VaVoom members, herein, titled A Tribute to Women. Thank you, Tori, for allowing

Solo Exhibition the honor of featuring this very special, tribute exhibition. And thank you

for your persistence and determination in making this a tremendous success.

—F.A. “Frannie” Moore

Founder, Solo Exhibition

The artists and writers in VaVoom are so talented, and our members are especially

supportive of each other. VaVoom is a large and active group of writers, artists,

and photographers.

When Fran offered group hosts participating in Solo’s 2013 Host Hullabaloo the

opportunity to curate a Solo-sponsored show of their group, I jumped at the chance.

With every VaVoom Featured Gallery, I promoted my Host Gallery, and their response

was incredible. A Tribute to Women was born. I have been working on the exhibition,

selecting works, over the past six months, in preparation for this moment for VaVoom.

A Tribute to Women is an interactive exhibit of select works from the VaVoom gallery

—exhibiting artists may add their poems and prose along with their artwork.

We also welcome and encourage comments from our visitors interspersed with

the posted exhibits. Please feel free to add your thoughts, writings, and/or

images with regard to work you see here that has touched you.

I want to thank Frannie for hosting Solo Exhibition, for the exposure and esteem

she gives to the artists on RedBubble, and, also, for giving me the opportunity to

present this showcase of art and verse from members of VaVoom. I would also

like to thank Linaji, the founder of VaVoom, who grew this group with love for many

years, and has recently returned to co-host it; and to Donna Hutchins, who works with

writers for VaVoom, some of whom are represented in “A Tribute to Women”.

Just below is a catalog of thumbnails of the invited works. As we build toward our

official January 15th opening date, please feel free to intermingle your comments

and reactions, below.

—Tori Yule

Host, VaVoom, Vibrations in Art and Verse

Get your copy of the Show Banner
CLICK BELOW to go to the banner code pickup page:

See my work in VaVoom’s, A Tribute to Women,
sponsored by Solo Exhibition

Get the code in either the RB format, for RB journals and profiles; and/or the HTML version to pop into your blogs, Zazzle, and other sites! Spread the word!

“A Tribute to Women” – invitational catalog

Pin Up Girl
by Evita

Open Book A Moment In Time
by Evita

Still Life Apples
by Evita

reminiscences
by Nikolay Semyonov

country road
by Nikolay Semyonov

The Wait
by Mel Brackstone

Not drowning, waving
by Mel Brackstone

The Prince is never going to…
by Mel Brackstone

Hate the Camera
by billyboy

Get Mad
by billyboy

Warmth
by patcheah

Glitter
by patcheah

Suspicion
by © Kira Bodensted

Lazy Summer days at the…
by © Kira Bodensted

VISION OF THE FUTURE THROUGH A…
by Karo / Caroline Evans…

Cuban Lady
by Jola Martysz

Fisherwoman
by linaji

Heather is a Beautiful Bride.
by linaji

The Sun Shines Bright
by Danica Radman

Three glasses later she left
by Danica Radman

Grace
by Bunny Clarke

Swans
by Bunny Clarke

Divine Sisters
by Anthea Slade

Unzipped
by Anthea Slade

SHE WAS A DREAM
by Karo / Caroline Evans…

Healing hands
by Chris Brunton

Sittin’ on the dock of the bay
by Chris Brunton

Stepping Out
by Mieke Boynton

Dance
by Mieke Boynton

StormWatcher
by Mieke Boynton

Portrait of Pam
by Ludwig Wagner

Belle of the Forest
by Randy Turnbow

Hide
by Randy Turnbow

I watch you from afar….
by anaisanais

YEARS 60…TECHNICAL TESTS OF…
by anaisanais

Graceful dahlia petals
by Celeste Mookherjee

The diva’s final aria
by Celeste Mookherjee

I love my mam
by loiteke

Flamingo pink on black
by loiteke

Venice – Carnival Mask Series…
by paolo1955

Venice – Carnival Mask Series…
by paolo1955

Memories of a Free Festival.
by Andrew Nawroski

Stepping Out the Plane.
by Andrew Nawroski

For Gladness
by Rhinovangogh

Choices Were Made Questions…
by Rhinovangogh

Magic of Summer
by Beatrice Cloake

Best friends
by Beatrice Cloake

Composed or Exposed
by Terri Maddock

The blue umbrella
by Terri Maddock

The Child I
by Ludwig Wagner

Women
by Thomas Barker-Detwiler

Black Is Slimming
by Thomas Barker-Detwiler

Creation
by Lucinda Walter

Boca Da Valeria Princess
by Lucinda Walter

Table & Chairs in Blue
by Lucinda Walter

Daughter
by Kanchan Mahon

Isabelle
by Kanchan Mahon

The Mother
by Kanchan Mahon

The Maddening Wind
by Maraia

Stellar Sisterhood
by Maraia

Me and My Shadow
by Susan Werby

Two Worlds
by Susan Werby

Peek-A-Boo
by wolftinz

A quiet moment in solitude…
by steppeland

Boots
by steppeland

Les Demoiselles au Spa
by Kathie Nichols

Happiness
by Kathie Nichols

Sydney City Mermaid
by Clare Colins

A great Read
by Clare Colins

Beach Treasure
by Jola Martysz

Implosive Thoughts
by Cathy Gilday

A Bright Future
by Cathy Gilday

That Sistah on the Bass
by © Angela L Walker

Uncaged
by © Angela L Walker

LIFE in Another World
by © Angela L Walker

It's My Mother's Beauty…
by tori yule

I Speak Because I Can
by tori yule

Presenting VaVoom’s “A Tribute to Women”

tori yule tori yule 8211 posts

It's My Mother's Beauty Parlor
by tori yule

My daughter, Alison, right, recently turned 22. She spent the day primping with her friends. This reminds me of the mid sixties, when I would go to the beauty parlor with my mother while she got her hair done. Once she even had the beehive!! When Ali and my mother are together they love to talk about their hair and how to style it. This is one of those things that has skipped a generation.
This is a current picture of my mother. She does her own hair now except for those monthly touch-up visits.

“No matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement .”
~Florida Scott- Maxwell

This was one of first images I posted when I joined RedBubble. The quote I used with it couldn’t be more true for my mother.

Nikolay Semyonov Nikolay Semyonov 222 posts

country road
by Nikolay Semyonov

One of my virtual glimpses of the African experience I gained while working in Tanzania way back to 1976-78\). Had to travel around the country a lot, from Dar-es-Salaam to Tanga in the north, Tabora in the center and Lindi in the South, to name a few. People walking down the sides of the red-soil roads at dusk often emerge in my memories. It was long ago, but I still dream of going there for a week or couple, even though you can never step in the same water twice…..

This is beautiful, Nikolay. What great memories to have of your travels, and to still dream of returning is a wonderful feeling.
I know exactly what you mean by you can never step in the same water twice….. There are so many places I know I’ll never see, so I never like going to the same place twice. Your artwork is stunning and delightfully depicts your memories of People walking down the sides of the red-soil roads at dusk. I’m so happy to have your work in our exhibition. You add so much to Vavoom.

Clare Colins Clare Colins 703 posts

I love the Sydney City Skyline but something was missing….then I spotted the mermaid!

Sydney City Mermaid
by Clare Colins

I love how you created this, Clare. It has so much atmosphere with the textures and your stunning mermaid.
The colors are beautiful, they make this so dreamy. I think every city must have a mermaid, now that I’ve seen Sydney City’s.

Kasia-D Kasia-D 3051 posts

What a wonderful tribute to women everywhere! Congratulations on what is going to be an excellent show!! Kasia

anaisanais anaisanais 406 posts

THANKS MY DEAR TORI FOR INCLUDING TWO MY WORKS IN THIS FABULOUS “TRIBUTE TO WOMEN”…TWO WORKS VERY SIGNIFICATIVE FOR MY LIFE,BECAUSE ITS REPRESENTED THE AGE OF UNAWARE AND THE AGE OF AWARE…
THANK YOU MY DEAR, YOU COULD NOT REPRESENT ME BETTER!!!
WOOOWWW..I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING….YOU ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!
ANNA

I watch you from afar…. by anaisanais

YEARS 60…TECHNICAL TESTS OF EMANCIPATION…WITH THE STAND by anaisanais

Anthea  Slade Anthea Slade 304 posts

Now in 2014 looking back I am overwhelmed by my collaboration with Reynaldo that started in 2009 and blossomed quickly into vast body of work. I just went back and read seven journal posts I wrote about our different collaborations. There is so much there. Together we created 188 works between 2009 and 2012 and most in an 18-month period! The collaboration between Reynaldo and I was prolific artistic partnership with most of our work centering on women with all their beauty, majesty and complexity. We were muses for each other with our imagination and souls in harmony. Reynaldo gave the male perspective of women tapping into his own feminine side where I gave the female perspective. It was a powerful and transformative experience that changed both of our lives in a healing and profound way. I feel such a raw mix of sadness and awe when I read these journals and remember this highly prolific time. I overwhelm myself with the sheer volume of work we created together. It also triggers me remembering Rey and all that we shared; now with the shadow of his death I feel an utter sadness at the loss to this world of this brilliant artist and beautiful man. Rey approached me in July 2009 after I completed a poem called Passion and a drawing for each of the 8 stanzas. He said he loved the passion and composition in my work and would like doing a painting of each drawing. Loving Reynaldo’s Art I agreed to collaborate with him on our first series the Passion Series that blossomed into 32 works. Our first works together was the Muse and Wild Woman – I did a line drawing and Rey said he’d love to paint it. I said go ahead. 

Muse & Wild Woman (in line)
by Anthea Slade

Muse & Wild Woman by Reynaldo
by Anthea Slade

There was a great synergy and creative flow between us – me in Melbourne, Australia and he in California, USA on the other side of the world. Our whole collaboration was online. We never met in person. Half way through the Passion Series Rey asked me if I would like to do a large collaboration called a Tribute to Womanhood, where we would create 40 works each – 80 in total. Ultimately, we created over 90 works in a 7-month period. What a sublime journey it was. Due to the magnitude of this project I suggested we divide the Tribute to Womanhood collaboration into 4 mini series Real Women, Women in Relation to Men, Fairytale Women and Archetypal Women. In each mini series there was 20 works – 10 from Rey and 10 from me. The works included drawings, paintings, poems and vignettes. Travelling through this complex terrain of the women’s psyche with a man was a revelation and odyssey of enlightenment. We looked through multiple themes and multiple lens at Women. No stone was left unturned. The process and the journey of doing this taught me so much about myself as a woman and about women in relation to each other and men. Sharing this journey with friends on RedBubble was exciting and tenderly beautiful. We ended up going onto a third collaboration of 44 works Sensitive and Sensual Series. Which was also focusing on women and there internal sensitive, spiritual and sensual life. We started a fourth collaboration called Faces Figures Females, which is unfinished.

Ultimately we created 188 works together and reflecting back the vast majority of what we created was about women and their beauty, sensitivity, resilience and spirit. There was and is an over abundance of creative gold flowing from Rey and my artistic collaboration.

Meeting of Minds by Reynaldo
by Anthea Slade

This was the artwork Reynaldo painted to introduce our first Collaboration.

From the Archetypes Mini Series from our A Tribute to Woman Hood Collaboration.

Warrior by Anthea Slade

One Tin Soldier by Reynaldo

Wow Congratulations Tori on a magnificent selection of Artworks to pay tribute to womanhood. Congratulations to all selected artists on your beautiful significant work. Thank you so much for including me in your exhibition. I appreciate very much.

Divine Sisters by Anthea Slade

Unzipped by Anthea Slade

Maraia Maraia 174 posts

Stellar Sisterhood
by Maraia

I feel really happy that these two images of mine have been included in this exhibition. It is really interesting that they have been paired up for the exhibit, since they are opposing in their expression of womanhood: “Stellar sisterhood” conveys the meaning of resplendent womanhood in connection with fellow women, whereas “The Maddening Wind” represents the opposing end of decaying in painful isolation and longing.

Thanks so much Tori for all your wonderful work in Redbubble, and also thanks to Frannie which is always devising new ways to promote activity in the groups.

Maraia Maraia 174 posts

The Maddening Wind
by Maraia

This is my second image included in the exhibit. This was indeed one of my innitial digital works, in those days I lacked some of the skills I now use with more confidence but,, on the other hand, I was so thrilled with my new tool that a totally new impetus and expression took over me, leading me towards surrealism and symbolism in a mode that I have been exploring since. Please see description of this image in my other previous one.

Anna Shaw Anna Shaw 7360 posts

I absolutely love this exhibition. It is dear to my heart. Congratulations to all the fabulous artists exhibited here. It is an exhibition to be proud of.

xx
Anna

© Kira Bodensted © Kira Bodensted 3741 posts

Suspicion by © Kira Bodensted

Lazy Summer days at the Bathhouse 1911 by © Kira Bodensted

Nikolay Semyonov Nikolay Semyonov 222 posts

reminiscences
by Nikolay Semyonov

a collage in Corel Painter basing on a few photo images, e.g. my younger daughter (front) and her friend dancing to the tune of their own, plusm some brushwork.

Susan Werby Susan Werby 2651 posts

Me and My Shadow
by Susan Werby

Asked by a friend to do a beach photo-shoot as a gift for her daughter, this one was taken as she walked toward the shore… An unplanned image, this one inspired me so very much… I found myself becoming one with a woman who had lived a full and rich life and was now in her Golden years. The resulting artwork inspired my writing that follows…

She walks alone with only memories to keep her company
Her shadow staying close to insulate her every move
The warmth of the sun and the sand between her toes
Comfort and strengthen her as she takes each step
A life well spent with more to come…
Susan

Susan Werby Susan Werby 2651 posts

I am in awe of the artwork that surrounds me, Tori!! They are grand selections created by truly gifted female artists…wow, everyone!!! I am honored to be included… thank you!

JUSTART JUSTART 507 posts

great, congrats to all !!

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37008 posts

How exciting to see the first works coming in!

Congratulations to you all, and to you, @Tori!

@Anna Shaw! How sweet it is to see you!

@Nikolay, this precious moment of fun and pretend that your daughter and her friend are having is what life is all about, especially at a certain age. It really brings a smile at their inventive innocence. Ooops, is that a tornado looming in the background? LOL. Talk about “care free”.

@Kira, Suspicion is so perfectly clear in its message. The Bathers really grabbed me, because I was thinking that 1911 was the year in which the “apartment building” was built, in which I owned a condominium and lived for years. Originally, in the back was a stable for the horses and carriages that were the main transportation for Downtown Houstonians, then. Suddenly I realized that Denmark must have been way ahead of the U.S. in women’s bathing suits— look at all of those legs! Here, in the Victorian era, they were still hiding their legs under “dresses” at the beach. Legs were pretty much taboo. Here’s a fun link showing vintage women swimming suits. I love that ancient greek woman wore bikinis! (’Didn’t know that!)

@Maraia, sometimes concept and message trump skill; and in this case with Maddening Wind, although it is your earliest digital work, you encapsulated in easily realized symbols how frustration can engulf, yet also impassion a life. I really love your Stellar Sisterhood. It’s a beautiful work that begs for a deeper look.

I have more to comment, but breakfast is waiting. Looking forward to returning!

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37008 posts

@Susan, we cross-posted before, so I missed Me and My Shadow. Isn’t she precious, as she tip toes her way through the hot sand, “ouch, oooo”-ing along the way to the water. She even has what could be a painter’s shirt and hat on, which endears her all the more to me. “A life well spent with more to come…”—your poem’s last line—describes what I see in her.

@Anthea, Unzipped says to me, winding down, and taking off the makeup and clothes that “make the woman”—to borrow and twist an ill-conceived phrase—in the work place. What a relief it is, right?

@Anthea, I have just read your touching addition, detailing your collaboration with Reynaldo. He was such a wonderful artist and a mainstay of my features when I led Art Nouveau. I’m sorry I was never able to give him a Solo Exhibition. He was on my list for a long time. 188 collaborative works is huge. Maybe you can do a book, with permission of Rey’s daughter; it would be a treat and a pleasure to read and own. I’m sad for your personal loss of this true friend and peer; it must be overwhelming at times. Know this—YOU accomplished much, some of it no one will understand; because it was a personal journey. But I hope you will share more of your notes from a renewed perspective, over time.

@Anna, emancipation always starts in the heart, brain and "soul"—the core. That’s why all women can have hope to realize the same. Because it means freedom to be and do what we want, the way I see it, the mature woman in I watch you from afar…. (the first work) could be more emancipated than the two testing out a new scooter. I think she might be, mainly because she has had more time to truly know herself. ;))

@Clare, your mermaid in Sydney looks like something fresh off an Impressionist’s brushes.

@Nikolay, the African “print” grabs me. I say print, because I immediately see a textile piece, hand woven, then painted with the warmed colors of Africa. This is really so beautiful. Living off the land must be very hard, even if one is a farming family in the heartland of a developed country. But when it is a place with less machinery, everyone’s workload is maximized. You must have learned so much there, in the late seventies. No wonder vestiges of what you have seen still haunt you today.

@Tori, It’s My Mother’s Beauty Parlor couldn’t be saucier and cuter. I do love their sarcastic wit. Now even their magazine covers will date this photograph, as they grow up and realize… it’s a cycle. Congratulations on a fine beginning to “A Tribute to Women”.

Looking forward to more!

© Kira Bodensted © Kira Bodensted 3741 posts

@ Frannie thank you so much for your link and lovely comment. I can see what you mean about the bathing suits.☺

wolftinz wolftinz 1998 posts

Tori, thank you so much for the nomination, I’m honored.

Peek-A-Boo
by wolftinz

@Wolf, what a fantastic shot of Peek-A- Boo. I love her smile as she is racing down the mountain. A great tribute to all woman athletes.

@Susan, Your image and poem are beautiful. They perfectly depict the Golden Years.

@Nilolay, I love this work. Youth with no inhibition, with so much ahead of them.

@Kira, Suspicion is a gorgeous portrait. Lazy Summer days at the Bathhouse 1911 is a great moment captured of that time. The bathing suits were probably risqué for back then, too.

@Sylvia, Thank you for visiting and commenting on our show.

@Anna, I would love to hear more from you about your hard work here on RB that is dedicated to women.

paolo1955 paolo1955 3477 posts

THANKS TORI FOR INCLUDING TWO MY WORKS IN THIS FABULOUS “TRIBUTE TO WOMEN”

Venice – Carnival Mask Series 05
by paolo1955

Venice – Carnival Mask Series 06
by paolo1955

Ludwig Wagner Ludwig Wagner 677 posts

This is a painting inspired by a poem by one of South Africa’s best known poets – Ingrid Jonker – http://allpoetry.com/poem/8593629-The-child-is-.... The poem is written out on the ground of the painting which is 100 × 100cm big.

The Child I
by Ludwig Wagner

Ludwig Wagner Ludwig Wagner 677 posts

This is a portrait of my 74 year old neighbour, Pam, who lives alone with a tortoise as companion (which she has had as a pet since she was 9 years old) ;-)

Portrait of Pam
by Ludwig Wagner