Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

Kira Bodensted Gallery

© Kira Bodensted © Kira Bodensted 3880 posts

Hello everybody – I am hosting:
★ART UNIVERSE★✿⊱╮ Cat’s Pajamas and Solo Exhibition

I was brought up among theater people and as a child of four years I actually had a small role in a Danish film. Salary: a pair of Mary Jane’s ☺
I love ART in all it’s forms … Pictures and stories – film and theater – actors, music, dancing, singing – in short performers of any kind.
For my gallery I have chosen to share with you images of these extraordinary performers mainly from the period 1900-1940-ish.
I’m always looking for the rare pictures, seeing them like they are not normally seen. Adding to them my personal touch – how I imagine them.
The person, not ”the product” like Norma Jean – before ”the Marilyn” was done to her.
I love the Vintage style and muted colors – hope you do too.
Thank you for visiting☺

The Circle Game..starring…
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Beautiful Baker & Beast
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

I just did my nails
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Musings
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Evelyn Nesbit Thaw 1913
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

The Divine Sarah
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

..don’t bother ..they’re…
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Josephine Baker
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Life Choices – Evelyn…
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

The Girl in the Red…
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

You bring out the Gypsy…
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Bohemian
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Anna Pavlova
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

..and All That Jazz
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Blue Mood
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Colette
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Anna Held
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

The girl next door
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Bette Davis
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Veronica
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Ziegfeld Girls ……
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Marlene Dietrich
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Misty Morning Mood
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

I’ve got my love to keep…
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Madge Bellamy
by Kira Bodensted

Are you still kissing…
by Kira Bodensted

Tired Butterfly 1909
by Kira Bodensted

Hair
by Kira Bodensted

Love is a fire. But…
by Kira Bodensted

Limelight
by Kira Bodensted

Tweet-tweet
by Kira Bodensted

The Merry Widow
by Kira Bodensted

Mrs. Robinson
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Tracy & Hepburn – a…
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Mata Hari
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Bette Davis Eyes
by ®Kira Bodensted

Sarah Bernhardt (22nd October 1844 – 26th March 1923) was a French stage and early film actress, and has been referred to as “the most famous actress the world has ever known”. Bernhardt made her fame on the stages of France in the 1870s, and was soon in demand in Europe and the Americas. She developed a reputation as a serious dramatic actress, earning the nickname “The Divine Sarah"

The Circle Game..starring Sarah Bernhardt by Kira Bodensted

Josephine Baker (1906 – 1975) was an American-born French dancer, singer, and actress. Born Freda Josephine McDonald in St. Louis, Missouri, she became a citizen of France in 1937. Fluent in both English and French, Baker became an international musical and political icon. She was given such nicknames as the “Bronze Venus”, the “Black Pearl”, and the “Créole Goddess”.
Baker was the first African-American female to star in a major motion picture, Zouzou (1934), to integrate an American concert hall, and to become a world-famous entertainer. She is also noted for her contributions to the Civil Rights Movement in the United States (she was offered the unofficial leadership of the movement by Coretta Scott King in 1968 following Martin Luther King, Jr.’s assassination, but turned it down), for assisting the French Resistance during World War II, and for receiving the French military honor, the Croix de guerre.

Beautiful Baker & Beast by Kira Bodensted

Jetta Goudal was born in 1891. Her parents were both Jewish, and her father was Orthodox. Tall and regal in appearance, she began her acting career on stage, traveling across Europe with various theater companies. In 1918, she left World War I-era devastated Europe to settle in New York City in the United States, where she hid her Dutch Jewish ancestry, generally describing herself as a “Parisienne” and on an information sheet for the Paramount Public Department she wrote that she was born at Versailles on July 12, 1901 (shaving 10 years off her age as well), the daughter of a fictional Maurice Guillaume Goudal, a lawyer. She died January 14, 1985 (aged 93)

I just did my nails
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Polish actress Irena Solska (1877-1958)

Musings by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Evelyn Nesbit (December 25, 1884 – January 17, 1967) was the professional name of Florence Evelyn Nesbit,
a popular American chorus girl and artists’ model

Evelyn Nesbit Thaw 1913 by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Sarah Bernhardt

The Divine Sarah by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Clara Bow

..don't bother ..they're here! by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Josephine Baker

Josephine Baker by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Evelyn Nesbit (December 25, 1884 – January 17, 1967) was the professional name of Florence Evelyn Nesbit, a popular American chorus girl and artists’ model

Life Choices – Evelyn Nesbit 1900 by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Evelyn Nesbit

The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Young actress – name unknown to me

You bring out the Gypsy in me by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Young actress – name unknown to me.

Bohemian by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Anna Pavlova (1881 – 1931) was a Russian ballerina of the late 19th and the early 20th century. She is widely regarded as one of the finest classical ballet dancers in history and was most noted as a principal artist of the Imperial Russian Ballet and the Ballets Russes of Sergei Diaghilev. Pavlova is most recognized for the creation of the role The Dying Swan and, with her own company, became the first ballerina to tour ballet around the world.

Anna Pavlova by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Actress is Claire Luce…Inspired by the movies “All that Jazz” of and about Bob Fosse – and “Chicago”

..and All That Jazz by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Actress is Alice Wilkie

Blue Mood by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette (1873 – 1954). French novelist and performer.
She is best known for her novel Gigi, upon which Lerner and Loewe based the stage and film musical comedies of the same title.

Colette by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Helene Anna Held (19 March 1872 – 12 August 1918) was a Polish-born stage performer, most often associated with impresario Florenz Ziegfeld, her common-law husband.

Anna Held by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Marilyn Monroe (born Norma Jeane Mortenson (1926 – 1962) was an American actress, model, and singer, who became a major sex symbol, starring in a number of commercially successful motion pictures during the 1950s and early 1960s.
After spending much of her childhood in foster homes, Monroe began a career as a model, which led to a film contract in 1946 with Twentieth Century-Fox. Her early film appearances were minor, but her performances in The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve (both 1950), drew attention. By 1952 she had her first leading role in Don’t Bother to Knock and 1953 brought a lead in Niagara, a melodramatic film noir that dwelt on her seductiveness. Her “dumb blonde” persona was used to comic effect in subsequent films such as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) and The Seven Year Itch (1955). Limited by typecasting, Monroe studied at the Actors Studio to broaden her range. Her dramatic performance in Bus Stop (1956) was hailed by critics and garnered a Golden Globe nomination. Her production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions, released The Prince and the Showgirl (1957), for which she received a BAFTA Award nomination and won a David di Donatello award. She received a Golden Globe Award for her performance in Some Like It Hot (1959). Monroe’s last completed film was The Misfits (1961), co-starring Clark Gable with screenplay by her then-husband, Arthur Miller.
The final years of Monroe’s life were marked by illness, personal problems, and a reputation for unreliability and being difficult to work with. The circumstances of her death, from an overdose of barbiturates, have been the subject of conjecture. Though officially classified as a “probable suicide”, the possibility of an accidental overdose, as well as of homicide, have not been ruled out. In 1999, Monroe was ranked as the sixth-greatest female star of all time by the American Film Institute. In the decades following her death, she has often been cited as both a pop and a cultural icon as well as the quintessential American sex symbol. In 2009, TV Guide Network named her #1 in Film’s Sexiest Women of All Time.

The girl next door by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Ruth Elizabeth “Bette” Davis (April 5, 1908 – October 6, 1989) was an American actress of film, television and theater. Noted for her willingness to play unsympathetic characters, she was highly regarded for her performances in a range of film genres, from contemporary crime melodramas to historical and period films and occasional comedies, although her greatest successes were her roles in romantic dramas.
After appearing in Broadway plays, Davis moved to Hollywood in 1930, but her early films for Universal Studios (and as loanout to other studios) were unsuccessful. She joined Warner Bros. in 1932 and established her career with several critically acclaimed performances. In 1937, she attempted to free herself from her contract and although she lost a well-publicized legal case, it marked the beginning of the most successful period of her career. Until the late 1940s, she was one of American cinema’s most celebrated leading ladies, known for her forceful and intense style. Davis gained a reputation as a perfectionist who could be highly combative, and confrontations with studio executives, film directors and costars were often reported. Her forthright manner, clipped vocal style and ubiquitous cigarette contributed to a public persona which has often been imitated and satirized.

Bette Davis by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Veronica Lake – born Constance Frances Marie Ockelman (1922-1973) was an American film Actress.
Lake won both popular and critical acclaim, most notably for her role in Sullivan’s Travels and for her femme fatale roles in film noir with Alan Ladd, during the 1940s. She was also well known for her peek-a-boo hairstyle. By the late 1940s, Lake’s career had began to decline in part due to her struggles with mental illness and alcoholism. She made only one film in the 1950s but appeared in several guest-starring roles on television. She returned to the screen in 1966 with a role in the film Footsteps In the Snow, but the role failed to revitalize her career.
Lake released her memoirs, Veronica: The Autobiography of Veronica Lake, in 1970. She used the money she made from the book to finance a low-budget horror film Flesh Feast. It was her final onscreen role. Lake died in July 1973 from hepatitis and acute renal failure at the age of 50.

Veronica by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Barbara Stanwyck (1907 – 1990) was an American actress. She was a film and television star, known during her 60-year career as a consummate and versatile professional with a strong screen presence, and a favorite of directors including Cecil B. DeMille, Fritz Lang and Frank Capra. After a short but notable career as a stage actress in the late 1920s, she made 85 films in 38 years in Hollywood, before turning to television.
Ziegfeld Girls … Barbara Stanwyck 1937
by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Marlene Dietrich (1901 – 1992) was a German-American actress and singer. She remained popular throughout her long career by continually re-inventing herself, professionally and characteristically. In the Berlin of the 1920s, she acted on the stage and in silent films. Her performance as “Lola-Lola” in The Blue Angel, brought her international fame and provided her a contract with Paramount Pictures in the US. Hollywood films such as Shanghai Express and Desire capitalised on her glamour and exotic looks, cementing her stardom and making her one of the highest-paid actresses of the era. Dietrich became a U.S. citizen in 1939, and throughout World War II she was a high-profile frontline entertainer. Although she still made occasional films in the post-war years, Dietrich spent most of the 1950s to the 1970s touring the world as a successful show performer. In 1999, the American Film Institute named Dietrich the ninth-greatest female star of all time.
She was raised a Protestant, but lost her faith due to battlefront experiences during her time with the US Army as an entertainer after hearing preachers from both sides invoking God as their support. “I lost my faith during the war and can’t believe they are all up there, flying around or sitting at tables, all those I’ve lost.” She once said: “If God exists, he needs to review his plan”.

Marlene Dietrich by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Actress Alice Wilkie

Misty Morning Mood by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Actress – name unknown to me.

I've got my love to keep me warm by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Madge Bellamy ( 1899-1990) was an American film actress who was a popular leading lady in the 1920s and early 1930s. Her career declined in the sound era, and ended following a romantic scandal in the 1940s.
“I’ve avoided all my life the romantic stuff which novels and movies are about. Never went in for that mush. Of course, I’ve missed what most people would call the ultimate human experience. But then, I’ve remained my own person, which at my age is a very satisfying state – Madge Bellamy, at age 87

Madge Bellamy by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Bessie Love & Douglas Fairbanks

Are you still kissing Cowboys that cry Josephine? by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Evelyn Nesbit

Tired Butterfly 1909 by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Cléopatra Diane de Mérode (1875 -1966) was born in Paris, France.
At the age of eight, Cléo was sent to study dance and made her professional debut at age eleven. Cléo de Mérode became renowned for her glamor even more than for her dancing skills, and her image began appearing on such things as postcards and playing cards. A particular new hairdo she chose to wear became the talk of Parisian women and was quickly adopted as a popular style for all.
In 1896, King Léopold II attended the ballet and saw Mérode dance. The 61-year-old Belgian King became enamoured with the 22-year-old ballet star, and gossip started that she was his latest mistress. Because the King had had two children with a woman reputed to be a prostitute, Cléo de Mérode’s reputation suffered, and she had to live with it for the rest of her life. (in all the pictures I have seen of her she never wore a smile.)

Hair by Kira Bodensted

Joan Crawford (1904–1977), born Lucille Fay LeSueur, was an American actress in film, television and theatre.
Starting as a dancer in traveling theatrical companies before debuting on Broadway, Crawford was signed to a motion picture contract by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1925. Initially frustrated by the size and quality of her parts, Crawford began a campaign of self-publicity and became nationally known as a flapper by the end of the 1920s. In the 1930s, Crawford’s fame rivaled MGM colleagues Norma Shearer and Greta Garbo. Crawford often played hardworking young women who find romance and financial success. These “rags-to-riches” stories were well received by Depression-era audiences and were popular with women. Crawford became one of Hollywood’s most prominent movie stars and one of the highest paid women in the United States, but her films began losing money and by the end of the 1930s she was labeled “box office poison”. After an absence of nearly two years from the screen, Crawford staged a comeback by starring in Mildred Pierce (1945), for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. In 1955, she became involved with the Pepsi-Cola Company through her marriage to company Chairman Alfred Steele. She continued acting in film and television regularly through the 1960s, when her performances became fewer; after the release of the British horror film Trog in 1970, Crawford retired from the screen. Following a public appearance in 1974, after which unflattering photographs were published, Crawford withdrew from public life and became more and more reclusive until her death in 1977.
Crawford married four times. She adopted five children, one of whom was reclaimed by his birth mother. Crawford’s relationships with her two older children, Christina and Christopher, were acrimonious. Crawford disinherited the two and, after Crawford’s death, Christina wrote a “tell-all” memoir, Mommie Dearest, in which she alleged a lifelong pattern of physical and emotional abuse perpetrated by Crawford.
Crawford was voted the tenth greatest female star in the history of American cinema by the American Film Institute.

Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.
by Kira Bodensted

Katharine Houghton Hepburn (1907 – 2003) was an American actress of film, stage, and television. Known for her headstrong independence and spirited personality, Hepburn’s career as a Hollywood leading lady spanned more than 60 years. Her work came in a range of genres, from screwball comedy to literary drama, and she received four Academy Awards for Best Actress—a record for any performer. Hepburn’s characters were often strong, sophisticated women with a hidden vulnerability.
Hepburn famously shunned the Hollywood publicity machine, and refused to conform to societal expectations of women. She was outspoken, assertive, athletic, and wore trousers before it was fashionable for women to do so. She married once, as a young woman, but thereafter lived independently. A 26-year affair with her co-star Spencer Tracy was hidden from the public. With her unconventional lifestyle and the independent characters she brought to the screen, Hepburn came to epitomize the “modern woman” in 20th-century America and helped change perceptions of women. In 1999, she was named by the American Film Institute as the top female Hollywood legend.

Limelight by Kira Bodensted

Dolores del Río (1905 i– 1983) was a Mexican film actress. She was a star in Hollywood in the 1920s and 1930s, and was one of the most important female figures of the Golden Age of Mexican cinema in the 1940s and 1950s. She was considered one of the most beautiful women of her time, a mythical figure in Latin America and quintessential representation of the feminine face of Mexico in the world.
During the 1920’s and 1930’s in Hollywood, Dolores was considered one of the most beautiful women of her time, a sort of female version of Rudolph Valentino, the “Latin lover” in the silent films. Her career flourished until the end of the silent era, with success in films such as Resurrection (1927), Ramona (1928) and Evangeline (1929). She was one of the few superstars of the silent era to adapt to the talkies in Hollywood. She filmed success films like Bird of Paradise (1932), Flying Down to Rio (1933), Madame Du Barry, Wonder Bar (1934) and Journey into Fear (1942).

Tweet-tweet by Kira Bodensted

Lily Elsie (1886 – 1962) was a popular English actress and singer during the Edwardian era, best known for her starring role in the hit London premiere of Franz Lehár’s operetta The Merry Widow.
Beginning as a child star in the 1890s, Elsie built her reputation in several successful Edwardian musical comedies before her great success in The Merry Widow, opening in 1907. Afterwards, she starred in several more successful operettas and musicals. Admired for her beauty and charm on stage, Elsie became one of the most photographed women of Edwardian times.

The Merry Widow by Kira Bodensted

Anne Bancroft (1931 – 2005) born Anna Maria Louisa Italiano, was an American actress associated with the method acting school. She left Hollywood because of the poor quality of roles she was being offered and returned to New York. Married to Mel Brooks from 1964 to her death.

Mrs. Robinson by Kira Bodensted

The most significant relationship of Hepburn’s life was with Spencer Tracy – it received much publicity, and it is often cited as one of Hollywood’s legendary love affairs. Meeting when she was 34 and he was 41. Tracy remained married throughout their relationship. Hepburn did not interfere, and never fought for marriage. With Tracy determined to conceal the relationship from his wife, it had to remain private. Tracy was a periodic alcoholic and was frequently depressed; Hepburn devoted herself to making his life easier. She mothered and obeyed him, and Tracy became heavily dependent on her. They often spent stretches of time apart due to their work.
Tracy’s health declined significantly in the 1960s, and Hepburn took a five-year break in her career to care for him. She moved into Tracy’s house for this period, and was with him when he died on June 10, 1967. Out of consideration for Tracy’s family, she did not attend his funeral. In response to the question of why she stayed with Tracy for so long, despite the nature of their relationship, she said, “I honestly don’t know. I can only say that I could never have left him.” She claimed not to know how Tracy felt about her and that they “just passed twenty-seven years together in what was to me absolute bliss.”

Tracy & Hepburn – a lifelong romance by Kira Bodensted

Greta Garbo as Mata Hari.
Mata Hari is a 1931 American pre-code film loosely based on the life of Mata Hari, an exotic dancer/courtesan executed for espionage during World War I. The film stars Greta Garbo in the title role. The film is credited with popularizing the legend of Mata Hari

Mata Hari by Kira Bodensted

Bette Davis

Bette Davis Eyes by Kira Bodensted

steppeland steppeland 1450 posts

Hi, Kira! Great you’re participating too! Will be happy to see your gallery grow! :)

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36485 posts

These are fabulous links to our past. I love the way you have added texture and tone the works to revive them.

I just looked up at that child, with the big eyes, and was thinking, “That looks like YOU!”, then I read the caption. It is you! How darling.

PhotosByG PhotosByG 1752 posts

Beautiful work Kira. Well done!

Wendi Donaldson Wendi Donaldson 730 posts

Love your vintage works, Kira…you’ve brought these beautiful ladies back to life! Congratulations on your gorgeous gallery!

Mel Brackstone Mel Brackstone 2378 posts

Such beautiful images! I love the processing!

Randy Turnbow Randy Turnbow 877 posts

So many beautiful works, and such a great job of providing the back story for each. I must say that many or most of the children pieces are simply haunting and impacting, particularly “A Burden Shared”. Congrats on a fabulous gallery Kira!

Thank you so much everyone for the lovely comments – I treasure them all.

@Randy – thank you so much …I’m still working on the children and your feedback is very useful for the completion☺

© Janis Zroback © Janis Zroback 6879 posts

Stunning Gallery Kira…

Kira, congratulations!

Your work was featured in our Host Hullabaloo Features

This will be an ongoing, growing set of features, which will be one of topics greeting visitors. It also
serves as a great jumping off point to visit other participants of Hullabaloo.

Solo was also given an honor today by RedBubble, and featured in their very first blog highlighting groups,
Spotlight on groups: Solo Exhibition. There is mention of Host Hullabaloo, too, and I linked to the Exhibition space, here!

Evita Evita 14353 posts

Beautiful gallery Kira… gorgeous works …☺☺☺♥

Linda Lees Linda Lees 1450 posts

Kira, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed looking at, and reading all about the lovely ladies of stage and screen, fabulous work!

@ Janis – thank you so much ☺
@ Frannie – you are the best – thank you so very much for including me in your selection, I am so happy and honored ☺
@ Evita – thank you for your kind words ☺
@ Linda, thank you so much and likewise. You have a stunning gallery. ☺

Ray Jackson Ray Jackson 729 posts

A great tribute to a classic era , and to see your works together
In your gallery makes each one look outstanding .

Kanchan Mahon Kanchan Mahon 473 posts

You have an uncanny ability to choose images of another time, women whose eyes are playful ,stunning and expressive.

Thank you Ray and Kanchan for the lovely support ☺

Kira, congratulations!

Your work was featured in our Host Hullabaloo Features, under the subheading, “FRI. February 22, 2013”.

This will be an ongoing, growing set of features, which will be one of topics greeting visitors. It also
serves as a great jumping off point to visit other participants of Hullabaloo.

@ Frannie – thank you so much for this – my second feature wow – I’m afraid my head will swell and that would look rather silly lolol ☺

LOL, Kira. To paraphrase Lynda Robinson, “We have to make the doors, bigger!”. It’s a pleasure to feature your work. Keep them coming!

Randy Turnbow Randy Turnbow 877 posts

What a wonderful work the Sarah Bernhardt piece. Love the enhancement with the bubbly texture. Congrats!

@Randy – thank you very much for your kind support ☺

Here is a few pictures from my Wonderful Copenhagen ..and a few other places in Denmark.

The Dragon House by © Kira Bodensted

In Dreams Everything is…
by © Kira Bodensted

1849 by © Kira Bodensted

Full Circle – by © Kira Bodensted

The Wish Tree by © Kira Bodensted

Country cottage
by © Kira Bodensted

On A Winters Day
by © Kira Bodensted

…there are quiet days
by © Kira Bodensted

Have a Seat – I’m a…
by © Kira Bodensted

December Night
by © Kira Bodensted

Danish Watermill…Funen…
by © Kira Bodensted

The Old Animal Carousel
by © Kira Bodensted

One Moment in Time
by © Kira Bodensted

Brother can you spare a…
by © Kira Bodensted

The Old English Pub
by © Kira Bodensted

On the old Carousel
by © Kira Bodensted

Swan Lake
by © Kira Bodensted

Colors of Winter
by © Kira Bodensted

An ordinary woman
by © Kira Bodensted

In the country
by © Kira Bodensted

Playing House
by © Kira Bodensted

Cobblestone Streets
by © Kira Bodensted

CARLSBERG Elephant…
by © Kira Bodensted

The Marble Church
by © Kira Bodensted

Fuglevad Windmill 1832
by © Kira Bodensted

HAMLET (Kronborg…
by © Kira Bodensted

Summer in Denmark
by © Kira Bodensted

Golden Meadows
by © Kira Bodensted

Street Life – DON’T do…
by © Kira Bodensted

Yesterday .. when I was…
by © Kira Bodensted

SEX SELLs
by © Kira Bodensted

The Lakes – this is my Hood – I grew up here and it’s one of my favorite places – no matter the season it’s always beautiful.
An Oasis in a busy city with people, lots of seabirds, cafe’s and bikes, a favorite means of transportation here.

On A Winters Day by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Just another day in the life of an ordinary Danish woman. Do the shopping – pick up the kid on the way home from work – hop on the bike.
This day we had a lot of snow and the streets were like soap.

An ordinary woman by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Inside Kronborg Castle, Helsingør, Denmark on an icy cold December night.

December Night by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Denmark is one of the worlds richest countries. Here is an example of what people put out for the trash man. Solid hand carved Oak chair ..immortalized by me☺

Have a Seat – I'm a Heavenly Chair by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Danish watermill from Funen 1600. Dismantled and rebuilt in The Danish Museum Village at Sorgenfri north of Copenhagen.

Danish Watermill…Funen 1600 by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

The Old Animal Carousel in Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen is from 1920 – the animals are from 1895

The Old Animal Carousel by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

A lazy September afternoon in Copenhagen University Life Sciences Gardens

One Moment in Time by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

He is homeless, sitting in the street in my wealthy city .. surrounded by expensive stores selling expensive stuff to people who don’t need them.
He’s an addict – drugs, drink, ciggies.. anything.. all he’s got left is his dog – not even the crutch is his, it’s a loaner from the council until he dies.
A few words are exchanged with the kind man who is petting the dog. He’s begging money that will help him get the next fix and take away the pain
..for a while. Once he was a little boy somebody loved (I hope) – how did it go so wrong?

Brother can you spare a dime by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Photo of a Rose Salesman (immigrant) taken on Strøget, Copenhagen, the way he was looking at the girls walking by spoke volumes.
He looked so forlorn …In my mind I wrote his story.

Yesterday .. when I was Young by ✿⊱╮Kira Bodensted

Hungry birds at Winter – The Lakes in Copenhagen

Swan Lake by Kira Bodensted

Never kill a Tree – or a Dream! – The round Tower in Copenhagen inspired this fantasy.

In Dreams Everything is Possible by Kira Bodensted

The Old English Pub in Copenhagen was established in May 1992. It is built in “old English style” and its interior is from all over the world, including antiques, all of which come from England. The main bar is a unique feature – an original 200 year old Brunswick bar.
It is believed that the bar spent some of its life in Chicago and may have – at one stage – been owned by Al Capone?!
When the bar left for Denmark from England it attracted a lot of media attention with British newspapers.
The staff are all English speaking and come from many different nations:
Canada, Denmark, New Zealand, Australia, Scotland, Ireland and of course England!

The Old English Pub by Kira Bodensted

FULL CIRCLE – To New Beginnings by Kira Bodensted

The Old Horse Carousel – originally named “The Emperor Carousel” dates back to the end of the 19th Century. Situated on “Dyrehavsbakken” north of Copenhagen. With its 457 years it is the worlds oldest amusement park.

On the old Carousel by Kira Bodensted

Colors of Winter by Kira Bodensted

Danish watermill from Funen 1600. Dismantled and rebuilt in The Danish Museum Village at Sorgenfri north of Copenhagen.

Danish Watermill…Funen 1600 by Kira Bodensted

The organic farm, Fuglebjerggaard, is located 35 km North of Copenhagen. It has been certified organic since 1996.
Fuglebjerggaard is a diverse organic farm and gardens, all the products are sold through the farm shop.

In the country by © Kira Bodensted

Playing House by © Kira Bodensted

Cobblestone Streets by © Kira Bodensted

Half timbered house in Copenhagen called “The Dragon House” or “Uncle Toms Cabin”.
The shop in the picture was called Crinoline – they sold accessories like ladies handbags, umbrellas etc..
The house was demolished due to road work and road-expansion but was bought a few weeks before
the demolition to be relocated in Valby (another part of Copenhagen) by private funds.
The ground floor was built in 1905 and first and second floor in 1906.
The reason for calling it “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” is that there’s a sign above the door that says “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”
This is supposedly a relic from an exhibition in TIVOLI in the early 20th century, where several different cultures
were represented, including Inuit and Danish West Indies where each culture had its own house.
Reportedly the house was “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”, where curious Danes could look in and see “a real live African”
which nobody had seen before. The house was subsequently rescued and since it was half timbered, it was moved.
The name “Dragon House” was given in folklore and is due to the very characteristic dragon heads which adorned
the roof in both directions.

"The Dragon House" aka "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (1905) by © Kira Bodensted

1849 by © Kira Bodensted

The Wish Tree by © Kira Bodensted

Country cottage by © Kira Bodensted

…there are quiet days by © Kira Bodensted

CARLSBERG Elephant Gateway by © Kira Bodensted

"The Marble Church" by © Kira Bodensted

Fuglevad Windmill 1832 by © Kira Bodensted

"HAMLET" (Kronborg Castle) by © Kira Bodensted

Summer in Denmark by © Kira Bodensted

Golden Meadows by © Kira Bodensted

Street Life – DON'T do Home Piercing by © Kira Bodensted

“No Pierce – No sextoys” it says on the girls blackboard – This is a record shop !! they sell nothing but music but they know how to entice the customers.
Found in the Latin Quarter – the oldest part of Copenhagen

SEX SELLs by © Kira Bodensted

Childhood
The true purpose for me in working with these old pictures of girls is therapy really.
A combination of longing for the happy, carefree childhood I was deprived of..
and a deep sense of empathy with victims of child abuse – physically or psychologically.
My heart goes out to you all.

A Burden Shared….
by Kira Bodensted

Secrets Behind the Window
by Kira Bodensted

Child abuse
by Kira Bodensted

If I had wings …
by Kira Bodensted

What’s new Pussycat
by Kira Bodensted

Girl and cat with…
by Kira Bodensted

Storybook Children
by Kira Bodensted

Me – -
by Kira Bodensted

Dedicated to the Children of the World – A Safe Childhood is a Human Right.
Across the world, children are denied their human rights.
They miss out on their right to education. They are abandoned and left to fend for themselves on the street.
They are recruited into armed forces.
They are subjected to the death penalty, are disappeared, are punished by cruel and inhumane methods
and suffer many other forms of violence.
My thoughts go to Malala Yousufzai – may she live and make a difference in her country and for oppressed girls everywhere.

A Burden Shared…. by Kira Bodensted

Guilt – shame – isolation

Secrets Behind the Window by Kira Bodensted

Child abuse is more than bruises and broken bones. While physical abuse might be the most visible,
other types of abuse, such as emotional abuse and neglect, also leave deep, lasting scars.
The earlier abused children get help, the greater chance they have to heal and break the cycle—rather than perpetuating it.
By learning about common signs of abuse and what you can do to intervene, you can make a huge difference in a child’s life.
While physical abuse is shocking due to the scars it leaves, not all child abuse is as obvious.
Ignoring children’s needs, putting them in unsupervised, dangerous situations, or making a child feel worthless or stupid
are also child abuse. Regardless of the type of child abuse, the result is serious emotional harm.
All types of child abuse and neglect leave lasting scars. Some of these scars might be physical, but emotional scarring
has long lasting effects throughout life, damaging a child’s sense of self, ability to have healthy relationships,
and ability to function at home, at work and at school.

Child abuse by Kira Bodensted

But when you feel all alone in the world its a big comfort to have a pet. Here are some:

If I had wings … by Kira Bodensted

What's new Pussycat by Kira Bodensted

Girl and cat with toothache by Kira Bodensted

It’s good to have a sister – or a friend

Storybook Children by Kira Bodensted