15% OFF – LAST DAY! USE CODE GET15

Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

Graphics Essentials Workshop

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36260 posts

Graphics Essentials Workshop runs during October 2012, starting October 1st.

get the badge at this link

This is an “Essentials” workshop, where you will learn essential graphics techniques to showcase your
online artworks in their best light; and where you also learn proven tips and tricks for working in digital art.

The workshop will be RIGHT HERE, in this very space.

Some things you will learn:

1. basic color and light correction essential before uploading artwork;
  2. how to blend seamlessly;
  3. how to use masks;
  4. how to create transparent PNG’s for t-shirts, stickers, and iPhone cases;
  5. how to showcase your artwork, framed, and on the wall of a virtual room;
  6. how to use layers;
  7. how to pick out colors from your artwork;
  8. how to make reflections

… and much more!

There will be no catalog. You will work with copies of your own artworks.

All tools will be explained and illustrated with screenshots, and or videos. PDF downloads will also be available.

Requirement:
Photoshop Elements, or Photoshop, or GIMP software
One or more photographs, or images of your own art, or public domain art, on which you wish to work.

Re. Software:
The workshop will be based on Photoshop Elements 9.

Photoshop from CS3 forward is fine. Elements 8 does not have masks available to all layers;
but there are built-in masks on the adjustment layers; so you can learn masking with those.

GIMP has similar tools and filters and is free software. You will have to work a little harder to keep up;
but should be able to use everything here in GIMP, too. I have created two companion videos for GIMP users to
learn one of the primary goals of this workshop. That is: to make “corrections” to your photographs, primarily of
traditional art. The same concepts may be applied to photographs that are the end product. There is a pair of
PS/E videos covering the corrective techniques, as well.

Qnita Qnita 5565 posts

Sounds like fun!

Qnita. Thanks.

This is the first workshop in the “Essentials” series, instead of our usual theme and translation workshop.

It will revolve around putting each of the “how to’s” to work, before moving to the next one. Lots of questions and answers and helping.

Instead of “WIPs”, participants will post some “BEFORE” and “AFTER” pictures for the various methods. :)
Expect lots of oohing and ahhing, as most of these minor modifications can have a major impact.

Qnita Qnita 5565 posts

I will sure peep in… If I don’t have time to participate, I will follow the works to grab some tips… :-)

Susan Duffey Susan Duffey 110 posts

Thankyou so much, Frannie, for all the time and effort you put in the organisation of improving our skills

frontofbicycle frontofbicycle 285 posts

BRILLIANT … Thank You.

limon limon 35 posts

sounds great…

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3283 posts

This is great Frannie, hope to pick up some new skills in this one, looking forward to it :)))

Corri Gryting Gutzman Corri Gryting ... 9082 posts

This sounds exciting.

© Pauline Wherrell © Pauline Wher... 556 posts

Sounds wonderful Frannie! Will I be able to do it in my Elements 8 without the layer masks? Guess I will just have to miss out that lesson!

Pauline, you can learn masks by using masks on the adjustment layers. We’ll go over that. When you do upgrade, masks on the main layers are identical to the ones on the adjustment layers. Don’t skip it. I’ll provide an alternative that I used for years.

© Pauline Wherrell © Pauline Wher... 556 posts

Oh thanks Frannie! I am learning so much from your workshops!

Martha Mitchell Martha Mitchell 245 posts

I am quite excited about this opportunity to learn about something I know little about – thank you very much Frannie – I look forward to this!

Great! Be going through your existing images for any that you would like to work with “correcting”, because I will have you working on copies of those.

Sounds great.
I have a series of photos I shot during the birth of a calf where the lighting was difficult, but couldn’t be changed easily without disturbing the cow.
I may decide to work with those.

Susana Weber Susana Weber 1374 posts

Excellent idea, Frannie. Looking forward to learning something new… trying something different. :)))

Susan  Kimball Susan Kimball 477 posts

Sounds exciting!

Karen  Betts Karen Betts 2599 posts

This is just the sort of thing i need, i know so little about how to use by Photoshop CS3. Looking forward to seeing what everyone does and leasrning a lot.

We will get this rolling Friday, October 5th. But you can start posting your “Before” pictures in here if you want. Because the first thing we will do is “correction”.

I’ll want to see each of your “Before’s”, because some may take a different correction technique than others. And it will be helpful for everyone to see which technique goes with what. :))

So between now and Friday if you’ll get those posted it would be great.

Traditional Artists and Photographers
What you are looking for, if you are a traditional artist is a work that was uploaded here, ideally, that doesn’t look the same as your painting. Mainly the camera is causing these problems, although some may be the translation to RB’s database.

Problems to look for that we can correct:

1. too dull
  2. light temperature is not correct
  3. too dark
  4. detail is missing
  5. values are off

Digital Art
Since there is no camera involved as a “middle man”, the main correction you might have, along this line might be:

1. darker than expected, once uploaded

Once you learn this, your uploads can look much more beautiful and more like your originals.

Leslie Gustafson Leslie Gustafson 792 posts

Really looking forward to watching and learning as I have finally started to understand a bit about photoshop and trying to replicate the originals which have always been so much prettier in real life!!

Hi Frannie,
Just curious if we can upload something shot in camera raw?
I had used it before, but it wasn’t until I accidentally shot some this weekend and discovered what a wide range of corrections are available that I started to appreciate it. Still a bit intimidated by it, but in in awe of the possibilities.

If that is outside the range of this workshop, I’ll find something else.

I understand the darker than expected issue.

@Corri, Yes it can be an image from the camera, which has not been loaded as-is to RB yet.

@Leslie, find one of your images here that doesn’t compare well to your actual painting (as to color or values or intensity) and post it.
Below it include some of the things you believe are not “right” about it, or that you would like to see better.

I’ll provide an example of formatting, below.

EXAMPLE Format for your BEFORE pictures

Before

What I think needs correcting:

1. lighting is too yellow
  2. too dull
  3. blue sky is not the right color
  4. fence is too yellow
  5. backlight is fuzzy and inconsistent
  6. canvas perspective needs straightening

Here is the “After”, by the way.

After

Catch a Falling Star
by F.A. Moore

We will be working on creating your "After"’s in the workshop.

:)

Please don’t be shy. We all have “Before’s”. I have plenty even more pathetic than this.
This one just happens to be recent, so the unchanged version was within reach.

If you can find one or two where you have not attempted correction at all yet, they would be the most ideal.
But anything will work.