Standard Shipping for delivery by Dec 24 has ended. Most products available with Express Shipping.

Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

Abstract Workshop

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36386 posts

Welcome to Solo Exhibition’s Abstract Workshop,
focusing on Abstract painting, abstract digital art, and abstract photography

Dates
Workshop dates: August 1 – 20, 2012
Workshop begins: August 1, 2012 (Wed.)
Deadline for Catalog posts: August 20, 2012 (Mon.)
SoJie 18 exhibition review deadline: August 21, 2012 (Tues.)
Guest Expert – Digital medium Demo: Linaji – week 1
Guest Expert – Traditional mediium Demo: to be announced

1. We will introduce the Guest Experts and their roles in the workshop during the week!
  2. A link to the Terms Agreement will be posted right here, when we’re ready!

Theme: Abstract Art
How shall we define “abstract art”? Pablo Picasso, one of the most famous abstract artists, said, “There is
no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.”

Cannot a painting or sculpture which is not created after a real object still be concrete, still engage our senses
and intellect, still be aesthetically pleasing? Hans Jean Arp, refers to abstract art as “an incomplete art which
privileges the intellect to the detriment of the senses.”
In other words, abstracts cause our minds to churn.

Rabindranath Tagore, an Indian poet, has suggested that the truth in art is not in its substance or logic, but
in its expression. If you consider this and agree that this is the case, then you have a basis for abstract art.

Still, we are open to your vision of “the abstract”, in the workshop. Above all, challenge yourself! Learning, growing,
challenging, and satisfying your own curiosity should be the goal of everyone participating in the workshop.

The biggest growth in the workshop comes from sharing Works in Progress (“WIPs”) as you go along. This may
seem daunting, at first. But once you start doing it, you’ll find that it is the growth hormone you may have been
missing— truly an inspirational experience.

The goal of the SoJie 18 Exhibition is to showcase fine abstract works.

The Abstract Workshop has the goal of inspiring and challenging Solo artists to produce exhibition class work.
Participants are free to pursue their own themes, using abstract styles. The workshop is a live, though virtual,
show and tell environment, where works in progress are posted regularly, leading up to a final, finished work.

Participation: The workshop will be open to traditional, digital, and photographic abstract art.
Everyone, including photographers, will be expected to post snapshots of your work while it is in progress.

For photographers, this might include tests shots of location, lighting, or angle, and pre- and post-processing.
Ansel Adams said, “In a strict sense photography can never be abstract, for the camera is incapable of
synthetic integration.”
Multiple exposure, physical camera movement, and the digital dark room have changed
prospects for photographers of the 21st century; and Abstract Photographic Art is certainly attainable.

The goal for each participant is to Involve us, live, in your work!

Posts not approved or posted in the wild will be deleted without notice when discovered.

By participating in the workshop you are agreeing to the Terms, below listed.

Exploration Catalog for Inspiration

Music 1

Ella Fitzgerald sings Gershwin’s Summertime

Duke Ellington Orchestra – Take the A Train, 1943, Joya Sherrill vocalist

Nina Simone – Feeling Good

Sonny Payne – Drum Solo, 1962

Rachmaninov’s 3rd Piano Concerto, Vladimir Horowitz, pianist, with Zubin Mehta conducting the New York Philharmonic Orchestra

G. Mahler – Symphony No. 1 in D major Titan, Zubin Mehta conducting Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Tchaikovsky Condert Hall, Moscow, 0211

Beethoven Symphony No.9 op. 125 – Second Movement, Digital recording on Period Instruments by The London Classical Players conducted by Sir Roger Norrington. Part 1 of 2
Beethoven Symphony No.9 op. 125 – Second Movement, Digital recording on Period Instruments by The London Classical Players conducted by Sir Roger Norrington. Part 2 of 2

Bedřch Smetana’s Šárka, Jiří Bělohlávek conducts Prague Spring 2011

The Lord of the Rings – Complete Symphony

Bernstein: Stravinsky RITE OF SPRING Rehearsal

La forza del destino [Overture], Alan Gilbert conducting the New York Philharmonic

Bedřch Smetana’s Ma Vlast No. 2 Vltava, Arturo Toscanini conducting the NBC Symphony Orchestra

Andrea Bocelli with the Morman Tabernacle Choir – The Lord’s Prayer
Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman – Time to Say Goodbye

Liu Fang on pipa – The Ambush from all sides [Chinese traditional]

Maurice Ravel – Bolero, Sergiu Celibidache conducting The Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra

Arnold Schoenberg’s Piano Concerto op. 42 (Excerpt), Mitsuko Uchida pianist

Philip Glass – Glassworks, Branka Parlic, pianist

Elina Garanča – Panis Angelicus – Dresden Adventskonzert 2008

Dmitri Hvorostovsky – Dark Eyes [trad. Russian song]
Dmitri Hvorostovsky – Katyusha KATUSHA Katiusha [Russian folk song]
Dmitri Hvorostovsky – Kak molody my byli [Russian]

Bedouin music from Wadi Rum Desert, Jordan

Uudam, Mongolian boy – China’s Got Talent
(If you like the song, then see the production – video version)

Blue Man Group – Light Suits, Stomp your Feet

Animusic – 3D Ball Music Machine [computer animation music]
Animusic – Aqua Harp [computer animation music]
Animusic – Resonant Chamber [computer animation music]

Tim Janis – ‘The Promise’ – REFLECTIONS
Tim Janis – Coastal America ‘Cape Lookout’

Meditation music – Flute, Japanese Garden video

Barbara Streisand – AVINU MALKEINU
Barbara Streisand – The Way We Were

Beyoncé – I’d Rather Go Blind

Bob Marley – Stir it up

Bruce Springsteen w. Billy Joel – New York State of Mind
Bruce Springsteen-O Mary don’t You Weep With subtitles

Diana Krall – A Case of You

Eagles – Those Shoes
Eagles – Witchy Woman

Fleetwood Mac – Sara

Jeff Beck – Little Wing, tribute to Hendrix

Kiss – God of Thunder

Nicki Minaj – Starships

Paul McCartney & Wings – Letting Go

Peter Gabriel – My Body is a Cage

Phil Collins – Against All Odds

Rory Gallagher – Bullfrog Blues

Usher – OMG

The Silent Comedy – Bartholomew [From Dark Souls Trailer]

Quotes

“‘Well,’ said Owl, ‘the customary procedure in such cases is as follows.’

‘What does Crustimoney Proseedcake mean?’ said Pooh. ‘For I am a Bear of
Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me.’

‘It means the Thing to Do.’

‘As long as it means that, I don’t mind,’ said Pooh humbly.’"
– A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh, 1926

“The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.”
– Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations, 1953

“Write with nouns and verbs, not with adjectives and adverbs. The adjective
hasn’t been built that can pull a weak or inaccurate noun out of a tight place.”
– William Strunk and E.B. White, The Elements of Style, 1959

“For there is no doubt that I have lots of words inside me; but at moments, like rush-hour
traffic at the mouth of a tunnel, they jam.”
– John Updike, Self-Consciousness, 1989

If you do not raise your eyes you will think that you are the highest point.
~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin

The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning.
~Ivy Baker Priest

The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass it becomes
a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.
~Henry Miller

People ask how I think up my thoughts. Mostly I think them up while reading Paul Simon’s lyrics.
~Robert Brault, www.robertbrault.com

God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.
~William Shakespeare

The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another.
~James Matthew Barrie

If you cannot be a poet, be the poem.
~David Carradine

Follow your inner moonlight; don’t hide the madness.
~Allen Ginsberg, quoted in On Being a Writer edited by Bill Strickland,
from an interview with Michael Schumacher

Most of our faults are more pardonable than the means we use to conceal them.
~François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld, Maxims, 1665

You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage –
pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically – to say ‘no’ to other things.
And the way to do that is by having a bigger ‘yes’ burning inside. The enemy of the
‘best’ is often the ‘good.’
~Stephen Covey

The more we sweat in peace the less we bleed in war.
~Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit

The real differences around the world today are not between Jews and Arabs;
Protestants and Catholics; Muslims, Croats, and Serbs. The real differences are between
those who embrace peace and those who would destroy it; between those who look to the
future and those who cling to the past; between those who open their arms and those who
are determined to clench their fists.
~William J. Clinton, 1997

By a divine paradox, wherever there is one slave there are two. So in the wonderful
reciprocities of being, we can never reach the higher levels until all our fellows
ascend with us.
~Edwin Markham

Tell me how many beads there are
In a silver chain
Of evening rain,
Unravelled from the tumbling main,
And threading the eye of a yellow star: -
So many times do I love again.
~Thomas Lovell Beddoes

He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended
and she began.
~Leo Tolstoy

How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing,
that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes
of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said.
~Victor Hugo

See! the mountains kiss high heaven,
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea: -
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?
~Percy Bysshe Shelley, Love’s Philosophy

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~Dr. Seuss

A sensible man will remember that the eyes may be confused in two ways – by a change
from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize that the same
thing happens to the soul.
~Plato

Why do you hasten to remove anything which hurts your eye, while if something affects
your soul you postpone the cure until next year?
~Horace

What is soul? It’s like electricity – we don’t really know what it is, but it’s
a force that can light a room.
~Ray Charles

One may have a blazing hearth in one’s soul and yet no one ever come to sit by it.
Passers-by see only a wisp of smoke from the chimney and continue on the way.
~Vincent Van Gogh

Say not, “I have found the truth,” but rather, “I have found a truth.” Say not,
“I have found the path of the soul.” Say rather, “I have met the soul walking upon
my path.” For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither
does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.
~Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

Sometimes I think all my pictures are just pictures of me. My concern is…
the human predicament; only what I consider the human predicament may simply be my own.
~Richard Avedon

What I loathe is the multi-national conglomerates who must take responsibility for the
degradation and pollution of so much of our landscape with their factory farming and greed.
~Fay Godwin

A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense,
about what is being photographed.
~Ansel Adams

All generalizations are false, including this one.
~Mark Twain

Words

Oxford’s academic word list
Emotion word list
Feeling word list
Thesaurus: subconscious

Psychology

Psychological Meaning of Words – Tausczik & Pennebaker, pub. Journal of Language and Social Psychology [pdf]
Reading People by the Words They Speak Jack Schafer, Ph.D., pub. Psychology Today
Color Pyschology and Marketing
Psychological Properties Of Colours
‘My monkey could have painted that.’ Really? Matthew Hutson, pub. Psychology Today
Psychology of Art

Links to Inspiring Poems

Famous poets and poems
More famous poems

Links to Images on Wikipedia Commons 2

Drawings. Architectural drawings
Drawings. Courtroom drawings
Drawings. Perspective drawings
Drawings. Figurative drawings
Drawings. Sketches
Drawings. Scientific sketches, diagrams, and images
Drawings. Symmetric images
Drawings. Graphics
Drawings. Black and White illustrations
Unidentified Paintings
Paintings. National Treasures of Japan
Paintings. Ancient Roman paintings
Paintings. Byzantine paintings
Paintings. Cubist paintings
Paintings. Expressionist paintings
Paintings. Merovingian paintings
Paintings. Baroque paintings
Paintings. Romanesque paintings
Paintings. Surrealist paintings
Paintings. Symbolist paintings
Art objects from the Walters Art Museum

Notes:
1. Thanks and credit go to Robin King for helping
out with suggestions in the Music category. While Robin did not contribute the entire list of music
inspiration, her choices fueled the exploration for even more. (Many thanks, Robin!)

The Music, as well as all links in the “Catalog of Inspiration” are meant to be explored as potential
inspiration for, or inspiration during your creation of, your abstract work of art or photography.

2. Wikipedia commons contains images with various copyright statuses and requirements
for attribution. Each image contains detailed copyright status on the actual image download
page. If you download an image, please copy all of it’s copyright information and save in a
text file, named the same as the image, so that you can reference it later.

Links of these images are provided for Inspiration, just as the links to poems and music are
provided for inspiration.

The End.

Please feel free to explore this catalog for inspiration for your Abstract work created in this workshop and beyond!
— F.A. Moore (“Frannie”)

Terms.

TERMS FOR PARTICIPANTS

1. You will signify your agreement to these terms, implicitly, by participating in the workshop, and explicitly by typing a simple statement, in the comments, below that states, “I agree to the terms of the this Workshop”.

Participation in the ABSTRACT WORKSHOP is open to all Solo members, including new members. This workshop
will focus on traditional, digital, and photographic visual mediums, which include but may not be limited to:
acrylic
charcoal
mixed media
oil
paper collage
pastel
pencil/color pencil
sculpture: metal, clay, paper, mixed
tempera
watercolor
digital 3D
digital manipulation
digital painting
fractals
NEW Photographs in-process, where the process is shared, via images.

We expect 2 separate work-in-progress posts, plus 1 final post from everyone, no matter the medium.
Watercolor is no longer an exception, as there are also points where watercolor can or must sit to dry.

Defn. WIP. “Work in Progress” – work posted during the process of making it, during a break,
or after a session. We prefer WIP posts to be made, before you go to the next session.
Imagine if we were working in a live setting, and seeing your work and commenting,
before you go to the next session.

Adjustments to balance your in-camera shot, in order to closely match your original artwork, are allowed
and encouraged. The better your final image registers, the better the print from your work.

You agree to allow Solo Exhibition and its hosts and supporters to promote your translated work,
in association with this workshop and/or the SoJie 18 exhibition.

You agree to keep up with updates posted here by Solo hosts and workshop helpers.

You agree to be gentile to fellow participants of the workshop, including hosts, even when
(especially when) they do something with which you disagree, including their approach to any artist
or artwork, including your own.
If you have a problem with the workshop, or any person or work in the workshop,
you are expected to take it to the host, privately in message, and keep it out of the workshop environment.

You agree to hold Solo Exhibition harmless and indemnify Solo hosts for any mishaps, misunderstandings,
or misappropriations that result from this workshop or the appearance of your work in the catalog,
exhibition, workshop, journals, or advertising space.

You agree, unless explicitly notifying the hosts, in writing, in private bubble-mail, that Solo may promote
your translation on our Facebook or Google plus pages or Twitter account during the workshop and/or subsequent exhibition,
and understand that these posts may be “re-tweeted” or “liked” or +1’d by followers, outside of Solo’s control.

You understand that participation in the workshop may not result in a nomination for SoJie 18.
Exhibitions are always the result of a vision, which cannot be governed by the rules or goals of a workshop.
These are two different animals. But all work will be reviewed and considered.

Extra Credit: The workshop is about growth. The challenger is you. The challenged is you. But please also
consider others, and drop an occasional note of encouragement, here, even if someone’s art is not up to your
personal standards or level of achievement. To those to whom many gifts are given, much is demanded.

Link to the Easy Button – use this to get the code, to post here for your WIPs.

Link to Workshop badges. Select Abstract Workshop.

Link to the Abstract Workshop Announcement, plus some questions, answers, discussion.

Link to Solo’s 2012 Workshop Schedule

[intentionally left blank]

I’m honored to introduce Linaji as a Guest Expert for the Abstract Workshop.

Lina is a respected Digital Artist and Photographer. You can view her abstract work in a couple of collections
in her portfolio: Tantric and Love Series Abstracts and Geometric Abstracts…

Lina’s Demo will reveal the important use of “blending modes” as well as a system Lina employs of re-utilizing
merged layers. Her demonstration of techniques for digital abstracts is thorough; but if you have any questions,
please feel free to ask Lina for answers or help, here in the forum.

Thank you, Lina! Take it away! :D

linaji linaji 6635 posts

Demonstrated Approach to Digital Abstract Art
by Linaji

The first piece of abstract art I created was on RedBubble back in 2008. It was called “Tulips”— see below.
I was experimenting with my tools in my CS3 version of Photoshop and I soon fell in love with the world of abstract art.

It is the exploration of form, color and texture that I access quickly,

and in many ways, using the digital medium that keeps me interested.

Artworks I produce most often take hours. In a flash, I may like what I see

and then try just a bit of something else, and get a whole new perspective.

In this demonstration I will attempt to exhibit my use of blending modes and layering in Photoshop ®.
These together are paramount in achieving the results seen in my body of abstract work.

Along with blending modes I use brushes and blending options:
Mostly:

1. Pattern overlay
  2. Color overlay
  3. Gradient overlay
  4. Texture, Contour

Sometimes: inner glow

Brushes vary and I love to use burn and dodge and the sponge tool. I use brushes to paint on color and then blend
them into the work. I also use marquee tools. These tools are found in the tools palette and are indicated with icons.
Layers will be stacked in the layers palette.

To achieve Clownfish, I started with a photograph base, then laid a pattern over it. The pattern can be a photograph, too.

The base:

Illus. 1

The “pattern”:

Illus. 2

I then run the gambit of blending modes. When I see something I like, I go with it. See Illustrations 3 and 4, below.

Illus. 3

Illus. 4

SIDEBAR
About Blending Modes

Take two images, experiment with blending
modes and opacities.

First mode example is Multiply.
I like this mode.

The blending mode menu and opacity
setting
work together to produce the blend
on a layer.

The “Background copy”, seen in the layers
palette (previous image), is blended on
Multiply at 100%, resulting in this effect.

Next I try Overlay blending mode,

which resulted in the following:

Many like Overlay, because it brings color,
depth and much contrast to the work.

Next I try Difference blending mode,

This is an exciting mode as it brings in rich
purples to the mix.

Although I will experiment further, and get
into the “flow” of the work, this section on
blending mode, should help get you started.

For me, it was just the beginning!

—The End.
main article, cont.

I will add strokes from different textures and patterns with the overlays.

I have many patterns stored and many textures stored.

As seen in:

Illus. 5 and 6

WHAT IS KEY?…. copy all your merged layers… EACH ONE!!!

Multiple blended layers can be merged down into one layer.

You may want to reuse some of these merged images, or go back to

a favorite one and start from there.

Thus, it is critical that you duplicate each of your merged layers,

lock the original (and turn it off   1). Then continue to work on

the duplicate.

Note 1: check to the left of a layer to turn it on or off. An eye means
the layer is ON and will become part of the overall effect.

Sometimes I am running with 30 layer choices

and I don’t label them but I do know what

each one is, simply by looking at the thumbnail.

While I see several effects that are pleasing,

I don’t focus on them, but keep trying various

blending modes.

Now I come to something that really pleases me.

I’ve used a pattern background with brushes

and I have played with color and saturation.

Illus. 7   Think I will head in this direction

Next, I try many different modes of color, gradient

and pattern overlays. But it’s not happening for me.

Soon, I have found a gradient layer,

Illus. 8  Gradient Layer settings

…And I feel like I am again onto something. I like what I see, here.

Illus. 9  Effect of adding the gradient

I try many colors and blending modes but when I come to the next screen, I see my Clownfish!

!Illus. 10. &nbsp Look! A Clownfish!

Now this is where an abstract mind starts to really become helpful as I want to develop this concept. I do not always need a
defined form, to proceed with an abstract work. But, this time I want to develop the Clownfish idea, and will start with this fish.

Illus. 11.   I paint some lines, to bring out the Clownfish

I add brush strokes and brush backgrounds, and change opacity, and blend again and again. Compare Illus. 12 to 11, above.

Illus. 12.   After painting and blending and painting and blending

I got stuck for about an hour, trying different colors and blending modes, with red, pink, or blue. Still, I did not feel ‘it’ yet.
Finally something happened in blending mode. The color got to me.

Illus. 13.  Here was where I wanted to stay

I used my burn and dodge tools and my sponge tool to highlight color definition.

By overlaying some of my previous layers, I masked in more color. Then I used my texture and contour modes to bring out texture.

Here is my final:

Illus. 14.  The final

The End.

This PDF document is available for download @
http://solo-exhibition.com/images2/Linaji-demo-sojie18/Linaji-digital-abstract-demo.pdf

Your Challenge!

You have just read about the journey I took. I want to see you take one too!

1. Start with a photo background, use a texture photo for the top and start to use the blending modes until you come to an image
    you like.
  2. Now, before you merge your layers, copy all the layers you are going to merge.
  3. Turn them off and merge the layers that look like what you like.
  4. Play around with opacity and blending modes again with a previous layer. Use your Overlay options and bring in some texture
    and color, gradient. Always copy the layers you plan to merge.. This is my big secret! Hehe
  5. Just have fun and keep what is calling to you paramount —follow that course.
  6. Remember you can’t go wrong if you copy your layers. 
If you go beyond what you like you can always go back to your original
    look or way back to the beginning, sometimes I just throw that in for fun to see what happens. It is almost like splatter painting!
    Keep moving and only stop when you feel you like it!

GOOD LUCK AND LOVE TO YOU ALL!

Great job, @Lina!

You did an incredible amount of work on this, with all of these screenshots. This is going to be a great aid for anyone who wants to
play digitally with either photography, digital mixed media, or any kind of digital abstract work.

Thank you so much!!

What a great way to start the workshop in the morning!

linaji linaji 6635 posts

Thanks to Frannie, my efforts to present this in a meaningful and understandable way has I hope been accomplished. I cannot thank You enough Frannie cause this looks awesome!

If anyone needs assistance with this challenge I am here for you. Mostly at night in USA ~ California time as I am working and going to school in the day.

I am so excited about this workshop and look forward to seeing the buzz around one of my most favorite genres in the Art world.

PS… I highly suggest you read Frannies post above, I totally relate to the quote by : Rabindranath Tagore: the truth in art is not in its substance or logic, but in its expression.

The music above is generous and I am drawn into The Lord of the Rings ~ Complete Symphony

I also could very well be inspired by this quote from above:

Say not, “I have found the truth,” but rather, “I have found a truth.” Say not,
“I have found the path of the soul.” Say rather, “I have met the soul walking upon
my path.” For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither
does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.
~Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet, 1923

Terri Maddock Terri Maddock 3247 posts

Thank you Lina for a great start to the workshop!

The music is great – I’ve always liked Ravel’s Bolero, glassworks was great, & I like Summertime too. I’m hoping to start on something soon, just need to get some paid work done first!

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3307 posts

Hi Lina, just wonderful……I’m slowly getting a handle on using all those wonderful layers and tools, although I use GIMP, it pretty much does the same thing. Its is fun exploring and find new ways to create art. I like to have a pen and pad handy to record each step, just in case I want to use it again. So ever so slowly I am learning. Can’t wait to give it a try, thanks so much for explaining it so beautifully! :)))

I’m quite drawn to these two quotes:

What is soul? It’s like electricity – we don’t really know what it is, but it’s
a force that can light a room.
~Ray Charles

One may have a blazing hearth in one’s soul and yet no one ever come to sit by it.
Passers-by see only a wisp of smoke from the chimney and continue on the way.
~Vincent Van Gogh

Greetings! It’s a new day and a new workshop! I look forward to exploring more of these images and articles, myself, and then settling down with some music!

Great to see you, @Terri, and Kathie!

I agree to the terms of this Workshop

Gershwin’s “Summertime” is going to be my inspiration for this work. The first WIPs below look a real mess (because they are!), although by tomorrow night the slop will have dried out enough to do some pastel work over the underpainting. The house where I grew up backed onto Queenscliff Lagoon, we fished, swam, and lounged around in the shade when it got too hot. I’m hoping I can recreate the feeling of being in the dappled shade late in the afternoon on a hot summer day.

Summertime WIP 1 – Making an underpainting with inktense blocks on Saunders Waterford 300gsm watercolour paper. Quarter sheet

Summertime WIP 2 – I sprayed a bit too much water onto the paper, so had to tilt it around & mop up with a tea towel before using a wide brush & my fingers to bring out the inktense colours. Also added a bit of pastel into the darker areas.

Lana Wynne Lana Wynne 599 posts

Hi, Lina and everyone! What a great start, Lina! Thank you! Awesome presentation, I have to say it is million light years beyond my limited computer skills. Very fascinating and so good!

Frannie, no easy button this time? I’ve started new painting about 3 month ago, hoping that it will be the beginning of my new series "Homage to Great Painters* or "Homage to the Masters* . It is based on one of my favorite abstract paintings of Paul Klee called “Versunkene Landschaft”. It is still pretty much in the beginning stage but I’ve photographed it during the process (from the start). I wonder if continuing this older work will qualify for this workshop? If yes, than I will be ready to place my first WIPs soon as I’ve made some progress on it already. Note: Paul Klee works in public domain since 2011.For reference see: http://publicdomainday.org/node/37/
And yes, I agree to the terms of this Workshop

Terri, way to go! You are first here! Thank you for being an inspiration! What a fascinating beginning with all those great splashes of color!

Frannie, one more question: can we work on two pieces at the same time? I am not sure if I will be able to compete two due to time limitations (soon we will start new year of homeschooling) but I want to know just in case.

DeeZ (D L Honeycutt) DeeZ (D L Hone... 2319 posts

Great work Lina and thank you for the kind invitation to participate…unfortunately I am terribly swamped at work.

@Lana great questions.

Q1. Where is the Easy Button?
A1. Oops, just forgot. Here’s the Link to the Easy Button

Q1. Can we use already started work for the workshop?
A1. I will have to respond to this, individually, for anyone who wants to do this. Please Bmail me a msg with a photo of its current state.

Q3. Can we work on two at once?
A2. Yes, in this workshop, you can work on two or more at once. The Abstract workshop is all about inspiration and flow.

Cool start, @Terri! Thanks for leading us off!

© Angela L Walker © Angela L Walker 938 posts

Hi Everyone… this is the first time I’ve gotten to see things at the workshop level! Thanks so much, Lina, for inviting me to participate. Unfortunately, I’m preparing for my annual live art show and sale in my local area so I’m swamped with producing originals I’m willing to sell. :) Having disclosed that, this workshop is so exciting… and I do love abstract art so I’m going to do everything possible to try and participate. Will check back in tomorrow if I can join the workshop, ok?

• Lina, you did a fantastic job with your presentation… awesome!
  • Terri, what a good start you’ve presented here. I’ve done a similar thing with my Inktense blocks (when adding water), so thanks for the tips on how to recover. So many times, too much water in that initial stage made things muddy and I would struggle to recover. :)

@Angela, just hop in anytime!! It’s a contagious atmosphere. And you are so effervescent, you will just fit right in. Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to seeing your work!

lilynoelle lilynoelle 1059 posts

I can’t wait to see everyone’s work! <3

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3307 posts

Great start Terri, can’t wait to see your next WIP. Off to listen to Gershwins “Summertime”…..to see what has inspired you :)))

Thank you Lana, Frannie, Angela & Kathie!

Angela – I don’t usually add that much water, I had a water spray bottle upstairs where I was painting & used that instead of gonig downstairs to get a jar of water – didn’t work out as well as I hoped because it didn’t look like much at the time,but definitely too much when I picked it up & spilt it all over the floor!

Summertime WIP 3 – pastel colours layered onto the underpainting & scrubbed into the watercolour paper with a piece of polystyrene foam.