Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

Landscape and Light Workshop

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3337 posts

Edy…looking great!!!!!!!!

Frannie, coming along beautifully!!!

Lynda totally gorgeous!!!

Peter will definitely check out your book!!!

Susan  Kimball Susan Kimball 477 posts

I took the Peter Hammer challenge and used my own spin on it but will try another follow his wonderful steps. It took 17 minutes of fun.

His original:

My first step which was using layers from Shadowhouse Creations:

And my final step of using Topaz Simplify using a painterly filter:

Thank you Peter for your generous sharing of technique!

I love all the wonderful wips and finished work! You all are a huge inspiration to me and only sorry that I don’t have enough time to comment on everyone work.

Terri Maddock Terri Maddock 3253 posts

Hi everyone – I’ve been through all the photos of the finals & the WIPS (did a bit of speed reading through the comments) & they all look fabulous. This workshop is looking more exciting & dynamic than the Birds!

I’m way too far behind to make comments individually, all of them are inspirational!

Thank you too to everyone who has commented & encouraged me along the way.

I have just had a reply from Susan Kimball with the agreement to translate her lovely image Bucolic Buffalo.

Antionette Antionette 1009 posts

Hi there to everyone : I have posted the Agreement with Rhoufi to translate his “Monet’s Garden – the Lake and the Lodge” Monet has always been one of my favourite Old Masters and I am so exited to do this painting! Rhoufi also emailed me some of the other photos he took on this trip, and it has been an inspiration to me – such beautiful colours, flowers, textures in his photos – thanks a lot Rhoufi, I really appreciate it! I hope to start with the painting by tomorrow, and will keep you posted!
Well done to all the participating artists, you ROCK!

Here’s the agreement between myself and Terri, looking forward to seeing your work Terri!

AGREEMENT FOR TRANSLATION OF ART FROM ANY MEDIUM TO ANOTHER
1. TERMS. The term ORIGINATING WORK shall refer to the original photograph, digital art, or painting, represented by the catalog submission to Solo Exhibition’s SoJie 16 Workshop. The term ARTWORK shall refer to the resulting translation of the ORIGINATING WORK, to any art medium, so agreed upon. The term ORIGINATOR shall refer to the creator of the original ORIGINATING WORK. The term ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the ARTWORK, which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING WORK. The term THIRD PARTIES shall refer to any entity not the ORIGINATOR and not the ARTIST, which may come in contact with either the ORIGINATING WORK or the ARTWORK in the course of business.
2. Susan P Kimball, hereinafter “ORIGINATOR”, grants Terri Maddock, herinafter “ARTIST”, the right to use the work, titled:“Bucolic Buffalo”, hereinafter “ORIGINATING WORK”, as a reference in the creation of ONE ARTWORK, in a _Traditional Pastel Medium.
3. ORIGINATOR retains full copyright over the original ORIGINATING WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ARTWORK.
4. ARTIST retains full copyright of their own ARTWORK, which is a translation of the ORIGINATING WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ORIGINATING WORK.
5. ORIGINATOR should be given a credit as follows for the reference for the ARTWORK:
(a.) when the ARTWORK is presented on the ARTIST’s ARTWORK page on RedBubble, ARTIST shall include in the description area, a small thumbnail image linked back to the ORIGINATING ARTWORK; or, if the ORIGINATING ARTWORK is unpublished, then to the ORIGINATOR’s profile page on RedBubble.
(b.) when the ARTWORK is presented in any other electronic medium, or publication, or live setting, ARTIST should provide in a description, when possible, a working link or reference to ORIGINATOR or ORIGINATING WORK.
(c.) when the original ARTWORK is sold, where the ARTIST has control, the name of the ORIGINATOR and title of the ORIGINATING WORK shall be included in the invoice, description area as a reference.
6. ORIGINATOR and ARTIST, each hold harmless current or future THIRD PARTIES from enforcing any specific obligations between ORIGINATOR and ARTIST.
7. No additional terms in this agreement shall negate, or make ineffective the agreement in these paragraphs, 1 – 7.
8. ORIGINATOR AND ARTIST have additionally agreed to the below statements.
(add additional agreements below)
AGREED by ORIGINATOR:Susan P. Kimball
Date:09 June2012
AGREED by ARTIST: Terri Maddock
Date:
_09 June 2012

Kathie Nichols Kathie Nichols 3337 posts

Here’s my digital image after playing in GIMP……um, forgot to time myself, but I think it was a bit longer than 20 minutes, I like most of it, the black bits are too dark, would’ve been nice to lighten them up a little…so much fun, thanks Peter :))) PS: Love your book!!!!!!!!!

Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3207 posts

It looks wonderful Kathie!

Robin Monroe Robin Monroe 196 posts

Think I have enough time to do one more and I’m thrilled to translate Linaji’s wonderful image Valley of Light…

!AGREEMENT FOR TRANSLATION OF ART FROM ANY MEDIUM TO ANOTHER
1. TERMS. The term ORIGINATING WORK shall refer to the original photograph, digital art, or painting, represented by the catalog submission to Solo Exhibition’s SoJie 16 Workshop. The term ARTWORK shall refer to the resulting translation of the ORIGINATING WORK, to any art medium, so agreed upon. The term ORIGINATOR shall refer to the creator of the original ORIGINATING WORK. The term ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the ARTWORK, which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING WORK. The term THIRD PARTIES shall refer to any entity not the ORIGINATOR and not the ARTIST, which may come in contact with either the ORIGINATING WORK or the ARTWORK in the course of business.
2. Linaji, hereinafter “ORIGINATOR”, grants Robin Monroe, herinafter “ARTIST”, the right to use the work, titled:“Valley of Lights”, hereinafter “ORIGINATING WORK”, as a reference in the creation of ONE ARTWORK, in a Water Color/Acrylic Medium. (Type in a description of the Digital, Photographic, or Traditional Medium of translation, in the previous blank).
3. ORIGINATOR retains full copyright over the original ORIGINATING WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ARTWORK.
4. ARTIST retains full copyright of their own ARTWORK, which is a translation of the ORIGINATING WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ORIGINATING WORK.
5. ORIGINATOR should be given a credit as follows for the reference for the ARTWORK:
(a.) when the ARTWORK is presented on the ARTIST’s ARTWORK page on RedBubble, ARTIST shall include in the description area, a small thumbnail image linked back to the ORIGINATING ARTWORK; or, if the ORIGINATING ARTWORK is unpublished, then to the ORIGINATOR’s profile page on RedBubble.
(b.) when the ARTWORK is presented in any other electronic medium, or publication, or live setting, ARTIST should provide in a description, when possible, a working link or reference to ORIGINATOR or ORIGINATING WORK.
(c.) when the original ARTWORK is sold, where the ARTIST has control, the name of the ORIGINATOR and title of the ORIGINATING WORK shall be included in the invoice, description area as a reference.
6. ORIGINATOR and ARTIST, each hold harmless current or future THIRD PARTIES from enforcing any specific obligations between ORIGINATOR and ARTIST.
7. No additional terms in this agreement shall negate, or make ineffective the agreement in these paragraphs, 1 – 7.
AGREED by ORIGINATOR: LINAJI
Date:_________6-9-12____________
AGREED by ARTIST: Robin Monroe
Date: June 9, 2012

linaji linaji 6635 posts

"The remains of the day…"
by JanneO

AGREEMENT FOR TRANSLATION OF ART FROM ANY MEDIUM TO ANOTHER
2. Janne Olkkonen , hereinafter “ORIGINATOR”, grants LINAJI, herinafter “ARTIST”, the right to use the work, titled:“The remains of the day…”, hereinafter “ORIGINATING WORK”, as a reference in the creation of ONE ARTWORK, in a Digital Medium. (Type in a description of the Digital, Photographic, or Traditional Medium of translation, in the previous blank).
AGREED by ORIGINATOR: Janne Olkkonen
AGREED by ARTIST: LINAJI

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36485 posts

New Agreements! Yay! Congratulations to Terri Maddock and Susan Kimball, Robin Monroe and Lina, and Lina and Janne, on your Agreements.

@Peter, I look forward to reviewing your book! Congratulations!

@Susan Kimball, I’m so happy to see that you took the Peter Hammer challenge. And I see you used Topaz Simplify with excellent, painterly results! What favorite technique or techniques from the demo or exercise will you add to your digital arsenal?

@Kathie, there is a real “alien landscape” aspect to this. Cool. I realize that you are using GIMP and so were out there on your own. Did you come up with a technique from Peter’s demo that you’d love to use again? And if so, which one?

@Tammera, thanks. I am painting this with brushes, no knife yet. I’m tempted to do the rock with knife. So far, very smooth finish on satin-smooth board.

@Robin, thanks. My answer to the drying time is to have 3-4 oils going at once, and move between them. It also allows me to keep an eye on a piece, if you know what I mean— checking it out, allowing the subconscious mind to work on what it needs, while it’s in that stationary phase. It drove me crazy, the first few weeks of oil painting, last year, before I got the rhythm down.

@Antionette, isn’t Rhoufi wonderful to work with? So generous and supportive. Make us proud, Antionette!

Qnita Qnita 5558 posts

“Landscape and Light Demo Exercise”

Okay… I must have missed something somewhere, but here’s my 20 min.

Qnita, Love the simplification effect and the gorgeous subtle coloring. Tell us what you used of Peter’s demo, and your favorite part!

Qnita Qnita 5558 posts

My favourite part is to know what went wrong… :-) My contours aren’t so great. Want to make time to make it better…
Well. I love the Layer with the soft light mode to bring out the shapes with the brushes… If I can practice more, I would love to translate one of the works for this workshop, but I didn’t even had time till now to start my translation of the trees…

@Qnita, there’s plenty more time in the workshop. I hope you can start your trees. I love that soft
light mode painting too! Maybe if you tell Peter what you did, he can help you with the other parts.

In fact, Peter mentioned that my work could stand some depth, by darkening the foreground.
So I just played with it another 10 minutes and came up with this one:

More Experimenting with the Peter Hammer Challenge

Before Peter’s suggestion After more soft light layer painting

I must have been thinking ice cream with butterscotch sauce, Peter, as opposed to Australian outback.
;)

Hey, I like this one better! Thanks for the suggestion!

lilynoelle lilynoelle 1059 posts

WOW everyone is looking so beautiful!

Qnita Qnita 5558 posts

I just follow his instructions… thought the 2 radius on the maximums and minimums where too much, made it only one… also at he median… change that to lesser…

Robin Monroe Robin Monroe 196 posts

my first WIP on Linaji’s Valley of Lights. This is going in a whole new direction than the last project, it seems it wants to go a bit more abstract…maybe Lina’s love of abstracts is channeling through me… As I was laying out the intitial sketch for the mountains I kept seeing more shapes between the shadows and I drew them into the layout. I loved the center tree in the original image so I put that in curving it a bit more and thought I needed some boundery lines for the tree. Did not notice the tree on the far right at first thought it was greenery in the hill and once I noticed it I thought it would go great next to the curvy tree. To add a bit more balance or just a bit more, I added smaller trees a bit lower. I will be leaving out the large tree on the left. The curve leading up to the curvy tree is another boundary line for the fore front grasses of which I may be adding a few flowers. Anyway I’m not sure where I’m taking this will just go with the flow and see where the paints take me, I do like the layout and I think I’m really going to have fun with this one…

Sounds like a fun adventuresome startup, @Robin!

lilynoelle lilynoelle 1059 posts

Nice line work! I love seeing these develop …

NeilAlderney NeilAlderney 36 posts

I can’t believe how much amazing work has been going on in this workshop! There is an amazing amount of talent here. I was tied up for a few days and I have no chance of commenting individually on all you WIPS & finished works. I have no end of admiration for thos of you who can paint… my painting skills stop at a yellow Sun (with rays!) in the corner, a house & a flower next to it :)
This workshop is on fire!

The weather here in the U.K. has been quite appalling, and it hasn’t been until today that there has been any light anyway, but I have been out (on the motor scooter!) and have some shots in the camera. I will see is I have something I captured today that I can share my workflow from, that also fits the theme…

Cool Neil. That would be fun!

Mary Sedici Mary Sedici 6173 posts

Hello everybody!. I am following with much interest the evolution of this workshop, also due to a very hectic schedule I did not really have time to stop and comment.
I am truly amazed by the techniques and creativity used.
@ Cindy – I just love your imagination – those sheep are a delight to watch :)
@ Leslie – your trees are amazing. I love the soft pastel look
@ Frannie – your interpretation is stunning. I love the way you used the palette knife, creating the 3D effect.
@ Lynda – your landscape is gorgeous, as always.
@ Robin – I am really enjoying your translation of Lina’s “Grasses”.
@ Linaj – wow, what a great composition. You are truly inspirational.
@ Tanmera – I love your choice for the greenish hue. I am not sure how you are going forward with it, but I like the sky from the second and foreground from the first image (the ones in green). I just came upon the last posting on page 10. LOVE that sky. Would you consider darkening the foreground on both sides?
@ Claudia – your interpretation came out very serene and inviting. Lovely!
@ Cathie – I am totally amazed by the impression of branches created with the tissue paper. Exciting. I have to give it a try once, I never used such before.
@ Beatrice – the colors bear your signature. Excellent execution and impression
@ Dianne – all I can say is “waw”. Beautifully created
@ Robin – your translation came out beautifully. The tree really coveys a great perspective
@ Terri – your progress of the translation is fantastic. I am wondering if starting from one corner is a “pastel” only thing :))
@ Elizabeth – your Place to breath came out wonderful. Appears that someone just rested under the tree. Love it!
@ Lana – I truly like you interpretation of Peter’s work. You really have a great imagination :)
@ Byron – I am looking forward to see the final. Great colors!
@ Edy – excellent textures. Waiting to see how it develops.
@ I am sorry if I omitted to mention somebody. I really watch every work evolving from a first to final phase. Great work everybody!

Gosh, @Mary, you just covered about 15 pages in what looks like record time; but I know it took quite some time to put that post together. I’m so looking forward to you joining us and seeing your first work in progress. Thanks for the compliment!

Mary Sedici Mary Sedici 6173 posts

Finally, after a week of rain and darkness, the sun came out and I was able to paint a bit. I am not sure where I am going yet, but I wanted at least to have sort of background for inspiration:)

When the moon is tired, it rest in the arms of nature by LarsvandeGoor