Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

Workshop Show and Tell

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36854 posts

Here, SoJie 15 workshop participants can show their final translations, tell us about their journey, and hear from their inspiring catalog contributors about their originating works, and what they think of their collaborator’s translation.

Please post your final translation from the workshop, large.
You are encouraged to post thumbnail sizes for some of your WIP’s along with your story.

Comments are welcome any time! This is a casual exhibition, show and tell space.

Enjoy!

Elisabeth Dubois Elisabeth Dubois 1056 posts

What an awesome experience…

Mom's Home!
by Elisabeth Dubois

I chose Martin’s pic because of its powerful message…and the spectacular capture…It was not until a couple of email later that I had the pleasure of reading how Martin accomplished this wonderful pic.

Home With The Catch 3
by Martin Smart

Please take the time to read his journal.

Martin’s Story

Totally amazing!!!

I started my translation by doing a quick layout/sketch in black gesso.

I separated the tree from the Eagle and created a spiral using the golden rule starting it between its head and feet.

I wanted to give the background a bit of life and decided a good partly cloudy sunset, should do it.

Of course that completely covered my sketch and had to start from scratch. After re-sketching I started on the top wing…that went well…then the head…oh my, it was about 50% bigger than I should have made it…so once again, I repainted the sky over it…matching colours is always fun (not)

I think the head took me the longest, probably a third of the whole painting in time.

Once that was in place, everything then went really well.

I reduced the amount of foliage, as I thought that placing more would over weigh the left side of the painting.

wips 1 to 6
by Elisabeth Dubois

I am happy with the result :)

Response from Martin Smart

Hi Elisabeth

Wow!!! Well first off I have to say what an outstanding artist you are!! You’ve created a stunning piece of artwork which I feel proud and honoured to be associated with. Your painting of the eagle itself is fantastic and you have captured the wing & feather motion, position of it relative to the nest and light on it perfectly. I can really feel it. Excellent work. I must say it did take me a little while to adjust to your background, lol! By no means a criticism of your translation, simply the fact that I’ve spent so many hours at this scene and know it so intimately…. and why it is the way it is). I really like the introduction of the warm colours via the sunset even though the perspective and depth now has a different feel to the image. Initially I did also wonder whether the power of the sunset was competing with the power of the eagle (this may of course be what you intended) but I think you’ve done such a magnificent job on the eagle that it really does hold its own.

It was fascinating and most interesting to see your wip of how you put it all together and I’m delighted to see such an immediate positive response from other bubblers. I’m sure the deserving praise will continue!!

Thanks so much for all the cross references you have given to the original image, its truly appreciated.

Congratulations on an excellent job!!

Martin

©Janis Zroback ©Janis Zroback 7152 posts

It’s an absolutely splendid translation Elizabeth…

Thank you Janice
please put yours up too…the full story and your wips, then send a bmail to your original catalog artist, asking them to respond to their feeling on the whole translation ..before and after…this forum will make for interesting interaction and reading :)
copy/paste this link to your bmail went you send it…it will make it easier for them to find.

Lana Wynne Lana Wynne 599 posts

Beautifu, beautiful work, Elisabeth! Congratulations!

Truly fantastic, Elisabeth. And Martin’s story is wonderful, too.

Corri Gryting Gutzman Corri Gryting ... 9537 posts

Gorgeous, Elisabeth!
Your story of how what you did, how you did it and why (both here and on the other pages) are inspiring.
Thank you so much for sharing.

I was attracted to the Penguins mainly because of the photo itself…it already looked like a painting…the composition was lovely the colours incredible.
I had all kinds of ideas of how to interpret it, and could have done it a number of different ways, however my usual method is to just start painting with no particular plan in mind and see what happens…often I will use what ever materials I already have laid out and just go by instinct…

I generally start by loving what I’m doing then I move into a phase where I absolutely hate it…I know that phase well..it means that my subconscious is taking over and doing something I had not planned, so I continue on letting it happen…if I really hate it I stop painting and go away…maybe for days…when I return I find it’s quite clear what I was doing and I marvel once more how a painting can be created so instinctively…

I don’t draw very often on the white paper, as I find it constricting to paint within lines…I like to paint in bold washes, so I paint first and where I have to place a figure or anything I use the paint brush over the top of the painting either with plain water or paint using a rigger (WIP 1 )…the exception is in my photorealistic work, but even then I try my best to draw only after I have done some painting first and make the drawing as vague as possible…

Though many will say that it’s impossible in watercolour, I have no problem painting light over dark (WIP 2 and Final )….almost nothing is impossible in watercolour, including removing previously painted areas…

I paint in all media and watercolour is the hardest to master and to control…so I don’t bother trying, I love the fact that it moves, that it changes, that it fights back….I just let it do it’s thing and embrace the results…

WIP #1..you can clearly see the amorphous shapes sketched out with a brush loaded with water in the wet paint

WIP #2….I have added some more defined shapes with a rigger, and the general feeling of a secret meeting is beginning to come through….

I have concentrated on the six penguins at the centre of the photo but added the ghostly shapes of others all around them..
And at last we hardly distinguish
Between the ghosts and the guests;
And a mist and shadow of sadness
Steals over our merriest jests
..Longfellow….
Final…"The Meeting at Night" Watercolour on Arches Not Paper..Translation of Cold Penguins by A. Gosling

I fell for The Golden Pelican right away, and loved the parchment effect of the photo…I was very tempted to duplicate the parchment, but again I had many different ideas……popping into my head repeatedly, were the words Pelican Inn…
I saw it so clearly…a small house far away from every where, near a small deserted beach, with maybe one or two rooms, off the beaten path…the sign handmade, rustic and worn from the weather, simply made of barn board and hand written…a mixture of hopeful sadness is what I wanted to convey…
I saw the widow and her son and daughter, the son creating the sign with chalk on a piece of barn board…I saw the years go by as the words wore off, but still the hope is there that one day they will fill the rooms with guests all year long…
To get the effect, I had to create the work in layers, sealing each with Lascaux sealer before moving on to the next…if I had done it entirely in acrylic, I would not have needed to seal, but I tend to make things as difficult as possible for myself…seems so anyway… :))
I used many different media as described in the WIPs to build up the layers of texture, one over the other…
I love painting things to look like other things and try to work that into my paintings as much as possible..in this case it is wood grain, old and stained and cracked….
I plan to glue it to a board and hang it without a frame as it already has one

And here is the final painting….an old inn sign, kind of folksy, worn with age…the whole, sign and frame, painted on Arches Not Paper…

What Inn is this
Where for the night
Peculiar Traveller comes?
Who is the Landlord?
Where the maids?
Behold, what curious rooms!
No ruddy fires on the hearth—
No brimming Tankards flow—
Necromancer! Landlord!
Who are these below
?…Emily Dickinson

Another view…just before I took the photo…here it sits flat on the table…

Review of WIPs below..

WIP #1 of my translation of Rebecca Cozart’s Golden Pelican
A painting in mixed media…the first of many layers starting with gesso and watercolour

WIP #2, continues the layers, this time with gouache and inks

WIP #3 is in Acrylic and Fabric Dye…nothing much to see in these layers, but I promise it would all make sense at the end

This is WIP #4…All in all a real mixed media piece as it contains Watercolour, Gouache, Acrylic medium, Inks, Fabric Dyes, Inktense, Charcoal and a bunch of other media with each layer a combination of some or all of them

Claudia Dingle Claudia Dingle 630 posts

Each work is a journey. What a way to travel!

Peggy Berger Peggy Berger 802 posts

Very exciting to see this … the first time I have been here for one of these. How wonderful and creative you all are!

Beatrice Cloake Pasquier Beatrice Cloak... 8957 posts

Once I had finished my first translation, it was not too difficult to be attracted to another work.

I chose Ruffled feathers probably because of its finesse.

As usual, I worked on paper 140lb Saunders Waterford (I could have used Arche too) I love these two papers since they give the possibility to lift up paint without disturbing the surface.

I had decided to express the painting with the egret in the water and to add some Japanese tree with flowers over her head.
My resolution was not to use masking fluid. It was not difficult, it was staring at me in the bin :)

So I started with the egret :

I was needing to find out the outlook, edges and the colours I would use and how to apply the softness of the feathers on the body.

Next, it was time to apply the first wash of the background. I was pleased with it and I could see where I could have some branches coming out with leaves and flowers.

When the work had completely dried, I realised that the feathers would not show against a pale background and so I was sad to abandon my idea of a Japanese style painting.
I decided for a darker background and to carry on being inspired by the original photo.
Not wanted to touch the masking fluid, still staring at me in the bin :) I took the chance to use gouache (opaque watercolour) to shape the fine feathers.
From that moment I knew that I could pull the painting with force and joy!

After this first darker background, I applied a second one :

And a third one with Scarlet red and Prussian Blue, adding some Brown Sienna here and there. When it had completely dried, I lifted streaks of paint from the surface of the water with an Acrylic brush. (I do stencils out of YUPO paper. It is brilliant)

It was time to tell a story with this painting, I added a fish falling out of water, made the legs and a branch with catching colours.
When it was finished I worked on the fine feathers.
To add sparkle to the water, I flicked from a brush, gouache all over the it.

I have enjoyed very much the whole creation. It did stretch my way of working in watercolour. It got me out of my comfort zone.
I have missed expressing wildlife and Sojie has given me a real opportunity to come back and have a go.
Thank you to the brilliant photographers who have helped with their wonderful shots!

Catch of the day
by Beatrice Cloake

@Beatrice, I love reading your Story of the Catch of the Day. There seemed to be a couple of turning points for you.
One was when you realized that white feathers would not show up against a pale background, so you switched
from the delicate Chinese painting concept to a dark background, and discovered goache was your friend for
feathering. A second seemed to be when you let loose to tell the story of the catch, and subsequently added the
fish, and the spray.

What an exceptional wildlife painting.

@Janis, your Pelican Inn is so very clever. It really looks like a sign for a beach or island inn. I take it that your personal challenge was to have these various mediums work together (between layers of fix), to create the effect you had in mind. I can only imagine this was really fun to do.

Your Penguins are stellar; so original, no matter that they were inspired by Audran’s (also) beautiful image. With a lesser skilled artists, these watercolors would have turned to mud. But you have kept them brilliant, having maximum impact, at the end, during the night time meeting of the Penguin clan. It’s an amazing piece, that I know you or an eventual owner will enjoy always.

Cindy Schnackel Cindy Schnackel 4841 posts

Love them, great work everyone! Also enjoy the stories behind them.

Young Red-tailed Hawk, Perched
by F.A. Moore

Oil on canvas
brush, knife, and finger painting
5 × 7 in.

Reference and work-in-progress thumbs:

Red-tailed Hawk – Perched
by Jim Cumming

I love Jim’s high key photograph of the Red-tailed Hawk. Since I’ve been back in Virginia from Texas, hawks and eagles are regular visitors, even in the suberbs. Eastern Virginia is heavily wooded and surrounded by three major bodies of water, so both raptors and water fowl are abundant. This certainly played a role in my selection of Jim’s beautiful image for translation (tile 1, above).

What surprised me is that my personal experience so drastically changed the outcome of the painting. At WIP #3, I had a strong beginning for a fairly direct, albeit stylized translation of Jim’s photograph. It represented my intent at the time; I liked it, and looking back, I still like it.

So when I noticed the bird getting a bit “wilder” looking (as opposed to pristine white and refined), in WIP #4, I became concerned. “Where was I going with this, should I go back, could I go back to stylized, or should I proceed on instinct?” I added thick, white oil paint, mixed with some Liquin medium, with painter’s knife, for texture. Posting this stage, as WIP #6,was my physical commitment to the natural look. If I posted, I was taking a step wherein there was no turning back. I chose texture, in order to hint at the hawk’s environment, without having to detail it in paint.

Young Red-tailed Hawk, Perched
by F.A. Moore
    The background effect you see here was achieved by finger painting

over the knifed background, blending, and then selectively ragging off areas

to leave a woodsy impression. Subsequently, I applied more white to the background,

again with the fingers; and a week later painted in: his talons, the branches, and

outlined three abstract leaves below. I’m pretty happy with this young bird, even if

it is not the direct translation I initially intended. First impressions are wonderful;

but once I could “see it” in the woods, it simply took on a life of its own.

Frannie….fantastic seeing your hawk close up..the textures are wonderful…as I said it looks three dimensional, carved from wood….just wonderful..

Beatrice your watercolour is absolutely beautiful…the soft textures and colors lend themselves perfectly to the subject matter…

Rebecca Cozart Rebecca Cozart 29 posts

Janis…thank you for seeing so much in my pelican image. To me when I took the shot it was just “oh look a cool pelican”. Now after your translation of it, it is much more! Beautifully done.

Rebecca , thank you for your feedback…It’s amazing and very interesting your view point when taking your pic and what it means or represents to an artist…
then of course the magic of translation.

Great show and Tell everyone…nice to be able to read them all one after the other :)

Bunny Clarke Bunny Clarke 2391 posts

Gorgeous works. I love each one and the steps to get from beginning to end. :o)

Celeste Mookherjee Celeste Mookhe... 11728 posts

Beatrice, I’m delighted with your beautiful translation of my egret photo! Bravo!

from Martin Smart….

I will also copy / paste in my show and tell.

Hi Elisabeth

Wow!!! Well first off I have to say what an outstanding artist you are!! You’ve created a stunning piece of artwork which I feel proud and honoured to be associated with. Your painting of the eagle itself is fantastic and you have captured the wing & feather motion, position of it relative to the nest and light on it perfectly. I can really feel it. Excellent work. I must say it did take me a little while to adjust to your background, lol! By no means a criticism of your translation, simply the fact that I’ve spent so many hours at this scene and know it so intimately…. and why it is the way it is). I really like the introduction of the warm colours via the sunset even though the perspective and depth now has a different feel to the image. Initially I did also wonder whether the power of the sunset was competing with the power of the eagle (this may of course be what you intended) but I think you’ve done such a magnificent job on the eagle that it really does hold its own.

It was fascinating and most interesting to see your wip of how you put it all together and I’m delighted to see such an immediate positive response from other bubblers. I’m sure the deserving praise will continue!!

Thanks so much for all the cross references you have given to the original image, its truly appreciated.

Congratulations on an excellent job!!

Martin

Fabulous commentary from Martin on your work, Elisabeth. Congratulations. That has to feel GREAT!

Beatrice Cloake Pasquier Beatrice Cloak... 8957 posts

Frannie, I have enjoyed reading how you created your such beautiful work. I love the fact that you painted with your fingers. There is nothing more spontanous than using every tools that mother nature gave us.

Janis, I am stunned by the beauty of your work and read how you achieve it. I love semi-abstract but you are the queen of colours

Elisabeth The creation of your eagle is stunning! I enjoyed reading your journey towards its creation!

Terri Maddock Terri Maddock 3268 posts

The first thing I really liked about Lina’s Night Vision were the vibrant colours, especially when I mostly do landscapes/seascapes. I also like the idea of doing something a little bit more out there than my usual stuff & thought of the stained glass look to capture the brilliant colours.

The first drawing & block in of colours was using some chunky Mount Vision pastels which cover the paper very quickly on a dark blue full sheet of Mitex paper. I actually liked WIP 3 with the swirling colours & was tempted to leave it at that stage, so just looked at it for a couple of days. During this time I felt like making it a bit more sketchy & swirly by taking out the outlines, but changed my mind again & stayed with the original concept, scrumbling layers of colours over each other to get a glowing effect – the original block in used about 6 colours, the end had over 25 different colours & brands of pastels layered on top of each other for the background sky.

If I was to do this one again, I would use black paper & bring the size right down to 10 × 15cm. Then do some very small splotches of intense colour & use the rectangle as Lina did for a tonal change. This would look like an opal from a distance, then reveal the birds & shapes if you come up close for a look.

Wip1 Birds – Night Vision
by Terri Maddock

WIP 1 – the initial scribbling – the colours in Lina’s original image are so vibrant, I though I might try to make it a bit like a stained glass window effect.

Wip 2 Birds – Night Vision
by Terri Maddock

WIP 2 – Just starting the basic drawing & a bit of blocking in.

Wip 3 Birds – Night Vision
by Terri Maddock

WIP 3 – Blocking in some colour, next will be refining the colours & shapes

Night Vision translation for Sojie 15 workshop
by Terri Maddock

The final painting.

Here is Lina’s original lovely image:

Bird Series… Night vision
by linaji