Introducing leggings. You’ll never run out of inspiration.

Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

SoJie 15

Elizabeth Bravo Elizabeth Bravo 5565 posts

"Fallen", a translated work for SoJie15 workshop
by Elizabeth Bravo

Traditional Art
Mixed media
22″×22″ acrylic and pastel pencil on cardboard

This painting was inspired by the work of Bernard Lacoque. Although Bernard is no longer with us, Ruth has been kind enough to offer these works as inspiration and to show in this gallery. Thank you Ruth. You can see more of Bernard’s work at his Retrospective Solo Exhibition and also at Artlacoque and Lacoque

Technique: I wanted to honor the way the Bernard did his work. He chose all recyclable materials to paint on. So this piece is done on a piece of card board that I had been using to capture drips from my other works. I started with just tossing paint on the board and then smashing it with paper and plastic. Then I continue to add and find where I would put my bird. As Bernard always discovered, the work will lead you and for me I saw two birds here. The tree already seemed to tower above with out me even painting it, so I worked it in. The layers over the top of acrylic paint were done with pastel pencils. It let me work back and forth adding loads of texture.

May 2012 Juried Invitational Exhibition

Elena Oleniuc Fine Art Award
for Excellence in Emotive Creation
SoJie 15, May 2012

Traditional Art – Honors
SoJie 15, May 2012
Elizabeth Bravo Elizabeth Bravo 5565 posts

"Bird way up high" SoJie 15 workshop
by Elizabeth Bravo

Traditional Art
Mixed media
20″×16″ acrylic and oil on canvas

My inspiration and reference for this work was a photograph titled “Wild Geese” by Lenka

Technique: This painting started with a very loose sketch and acrylic paint that is aloud to drip and mingle. As it dries I continue to layer and spray water to add textures and to find my color story. once this dried completely I had textures that I wanted to keep, so I used oil in thin layers to add depth of color and richness. As I struggled with the details of the bridge, I decided to go to my original plan to have a more abstract look. Clean sweeping lines added movement and flow.

Robin King Robin King 987 posts

If You Love Me…
by Robin King

Traditional Art
Acrylic paint on stretched canvas 24″×36″

Inspiration and reference provided under agreed contract by Ruth Bues, Artlacoque guardian of Originator Bernard Lacoque’s original art.

Bird, Bernard Lacoque-4
by ArtLacoque

Elisabeth Dubois Elisabeth Dubois 1056 posts

Hello Handsome
by Elisabeth Dubois

Traditional Art
Dimensions: 12×24 cm
Medium: Acrylic on canvas board

Inspiration and reference under contract agreement with TheWalkerTouch .

Gatecrasher!
by TheWalkerTouch

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36603 posts

Young Red-tailed Hawk, Perched
by F.A. Moore

Traditional Art
Oil on canvas
5 × 7 inches
brush, knife, and finger painting

Technique: Young Red-tailed Hawk brush painted and detailed, on a prepared canvas support. After the hawk was complete, the background was knifed in soft white oil paint and allowed to dry over several days. Sap green plus a mixture of warm color was then rubbed over the dried, textured background, gently with the fingers. After a week, more white was blended in around the hawk, again with fingers, so as not to interfere with the branch-like texture, and days later, delicate branching was added to the background to give the impression of wooded surroundings.

For inspiration and reference I used the work of wildlife photographer, Jim Cumming – “Red-tailed Hawk – Perched”, under a written agreement.

Red-tailed Hawk – Perched
by Jim Cumming

The Peacock Garden
by F.A. Moore

Traditional Art
Oil pastel and Oil paint on suede matt board
11 × 14
oil pastel drawing, brush-painted oil

Technique: I find oil pastels most useful for drawing and maintaining a hand-drawn quality to an artwork on canvas or board. Their creamy texture on the suede mat board allowed me to work fast and go for impressionistic appeal. The pastels were then thinned with turpentine painted over each mark, so that they could work as an underpainting to the oil paints, which were applied over and around the pastel underpainting. The result is a very soft, low contrast, impressionistic work.

My inspiration and reference for the work was the photograph, “Peacock Pose”, by Kristina Kitchingman, under written agreement.

Peacock Pose
by Kristina K

for Excellence in Interpretive Translation
SoJie 15, May 2012

Silent Flight by Snowy Light through Golden Eagle Pass
by F.A. Moore

Traditional Art
Oil on prepared board
12 × 9 inches
brush and knife painting

Technique: I knife-painted the background, for this work, entirely, before detailing the Golden Eagle with a brush. The knifed landscape is in abstract, and applied liberally in clean colors– no mixes, for added brilliance. Trees were scratched out with the knife, from the background which was undertoned in clean Prussian Blue. Later, these abstract shapes and colors served as a guide for thin outlines of white and red, to suggest a town, named “Golden Eagle Pass”.

For the Golden Eagle, I wanted to capture its correct proportions, beak, head and wing shapes, and feather pattern; so used several references. Some of the original blue-white background was allowed to show through as highlighted feathers in the falling snow.

Rebecca Cozart’s composite photographic artwork, “Into the Storm”, inspired me to close in on the “story” of this eagle’s flight; and I used it for reference under a written agreement.

Into The Storm
by Rebecca Cozart

Linda Apple Fine Art Award
for Excellence in Technique
SoJie 15, May 2012

Traditional Art – Honors
SoJie 15, May 2012
Rebecca Cozart Rebecca Cozart 29 posts

Golden Pelican
by Rebecca Cozart

Photographic Art
Camera: Canon 40D
Camera Lens: 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS UM, handheld
Filters: No filters used, texture added in post production
Settings: ISO – 200
f/9.0
1/640 sec.

Sue Ratcliffe Sue Ratcliffe 381 posts

Baby Barn Owls
by Sue Ratcliffe

Photographic Art
Canadian Raptor Conservancy: Simcoe, Ontario, Canada
Nikon D300, Nikon 70-300mm lens
ISO 640, f/6.3 +.50, 1/750, handheld, grey morning light

Linaji Award
for Excellence in Wildlife Photography
SoJie 15, May 2012

Gallery Award of Excellence
SoJie 15, May 2012
ArtLacoque ArtLacoque 909 posts

Bird, Bernard Lacoque-2 "Messenger"
by ArtLacoque

Traditional Art

ArtLacoque ArtLacoque 909 posts

Bird, Bernard Lacoque-4
by ArtLacoque

Traditional Art

artisandelimage artisandelimage 872 posts

The Colors Of Photography ~ Part Seven
by artisandelimage

Photographic Art
Jungle Gardens ~ Sarasota ~ Florida ~ USA
Olympus SP570 UZ
Focal Length: 92.00mm
1/250s f4.5 ISO64

Linaji Award
for Excellence in Artistic Achievement
SoJie 15, May 2012

Photographic Art – 3rd Place
SoJie 15, May 2012
Tahnja Tahnja 609 posts

Messenger of God/Special Delivery
by Tahnja

Traditional Art
Oil and impasto medium on flat sheet of Canvas
16.5″ × 11.5″

My Messenger of God holds a special spiritual message in a letter for a special someone who needs Spiritual Direction from the Lord.

Inspiration and reference provided under contract agreement by Gilli Orr

Harrier Hawk
by Gili Orr

for Excellence in Symbolism
SoJie 15, May 2012
Lynda Robinson Lynda Robinson 3209 posts

The Gaggle
by Lynda Robinson

Traditional Art
Pastel on Canson ‘Colourfix’ Paper (Terracotta)
50cm x 35cm

During the process of obtaining reference material for a landscape commission, I encountered this group of geese and goslings. They were so enchanting that the landscape was forgotten for awhile! I discovered that there are many intriguing colours in geese!

for Excellence in Tonal Value & Lighting
SoJie 15, May 2012
Elisabeth Dubois Elisabeth Dubois 1056 posts

Mom is Home!
by Elisabeth Dubois

Traditional Art
Dimensions:40×80 cm
Medium: Acrylic on canvas

Inspiration and reference provided under contract agreement by Martin Smart.

Home With The Catch 3
by Martin Smart

for Excellence in Use of Complimentary Colours
SoJie 15, May 2012
Antionette Antionette 1016 posts

A moment in time…
by Antionette

Traditional Art
Oil on canvas
71cm x 56 cm

Inspiration and reference provided under contract agreement by Larry Trupp

Yellow Rumped Warbler
by Larry Trupp

Lana Wynne Lana Wynne 599 posts

Barn Owl
by Lana Wynne

Traditional Art
Acrylic and oil pastels on canvas
41cm x 51cm

Technique: My canvas was prepared with Gesso to create texture and I used an acrylic underpainting. Next I used oil pastels to create different shades of color and to highlight details on several layers. Yet the oil pastels did not block the acrylics used to form the base.

For inspiration and reference I used the work of photographer, Yannik Hay “Wise Owl”, under a written agreement.

Inspiration and reference provided under written agreement by Yannik Hay.

The Wise Owl
by Yannik Hay

for Excellence in Colour Harmony
SoJie 15, May 2012

for Excellence in Traditional
SoJie 15, May 2012

Traditional Art – 1st Place
SoJie 15, May 2012

BEST IN SHOW
SoJie 15, May 2012
Lenka Lenka 480 posts

Wild geese
by Lenka

Photographic Art
Camera: Casio Exilim EX-G1
Settings: 1/60s, f/4.5, ISO 400, handheld

Wild geese launching off a pond in a park, flying over a floating bridge.

I was walking over the bridge in a thick fog and only could hear their voices. Suddenly, they got louder.
Quickly grabbed my pocket camera and turned it on: here they are!
Just a couple of seconds, and they disappeared in the fog again…

Linaji Award
for Excellence in Artistic Achievement
SoJie 15, May 2012

Photographic Art – 1st Place
SoJie 15, May 2012
Lenka Lenka 480 posts

Rueppell's Vulture: After a shower
by Lenka

Photographic Art
Location: ‘Ridderfestival’ (Knight festival) in Den Hout, Netherlands.
Camera, Lens: Canon EOS 5D MkII, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM @ 105mm
Settings: Av mode, 1/1000s, f/5, ISO 125, -2/3 EV, handheld

This portrait was taken just after the falconer gave the bird a shower shortly after the show: you can see the droplets of water on the vulture’s wings.

edy4sure edy4sure 723 posts

The Symbolic Embrace
by edy4sure

Traditional Art
Size: 45cm X 29cm
Medium: Acrylics, Watercolor, acrylic gesso, Collage (wood filler, glue, paper maché, paper collage)
Ground: Stretched A3 paper

Inspiration and reference provided under contract agreement by Tammera

VANITY
by Tammera

for Excellence in Orginality
SoJie 15, May 2012

Traditional Art – 3rd Place
SoJie 15, May 2012

End of Exhibits

ABOUT THE WORKS IN EXHIBITION

Team Solo members, Elizabeth Bravo and Fran Moore, selected member works from those offered through an “Open Submissions”, call to artists, in April 2012. They nominated additional works by Solo members which exemplified the theme of “celebration of the nature and beauty of birds”. These additional nominations included works from the gallery at large, as well as some paintings completed in the SoJie 15 workshop.

ABOUT THE JUDGES: ELENA OLENIUC, LINAJI, LINDA APPLE

ELENA OLENIUC, from Brasov, Romania, paints traditionally, using mostly acrylics on canvas or Canson paper, tempera on Canson paper, or oil on canvas.

Oleniuc’s paintings are softly lit, and have a romantic quality, even in the still life’s. Her drapery and backdrops compliment her main subjects and reflect their colors. Elena’s colors are rich. Often luscious yellow and golds are combined with turquoise, or russet reds with pale greens. Details are exceptional. More recently, we see female subjects, combined with floral motifs.

A former Nominator, and frequent exhibitor in Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibitions, and a past participant in a Solo workshop, Elena was one of the group’s first solo artists, July 20, 2009. Her gallery is now a permanent gallery, The Elena Oleniuc Gallery.

Elena Oleniuc was one of two expert Judges for the large Traditional Category of 45 artworks, in SoJie 15. She has singled out ten of these for an “Elena Oleniuc Fine Art Award”.

—F.A. Moore

The Elena Oleniuc Gallery

Dreaming with open eyes
by Elena Oleniuc

Happy morning
by Elena Oleniuc

LINAJI is an abstract digital artist and photographer, residing near San Francisco, California. Lina uses keenly intuitive, dramatic undertones for her sailing portrait photography, evoking memories of voyages on oceans and bays; while her abstract digital art exhibits a strong sense of history, color, and contrasts.

In Glacier Bay Alaska, Lina spent summers photographing Grizzly Bears, Whales, and natives. Wintering in the extreme, dry heat of Death Valley California, she searched out fossils and pre-historic stories of earth and soul.

The search eventually led Lina to India, in 2001, where, especially in its Dharmsalla and Kashmir regions, she deepened her passion for contrast, color, and her soul’s heartbeat. The experience translated to unique art and photography.

Lina has participated as nominator, judge, or exhibitor in many SoJie exhibitions. Following her solo March 1st, 2010, Lina has a permanent gallery with Solo Exhibition, named The Linaji Gallery. Linaji has a blog integrating poems, prose, and images. In it, she shares her experiences with the Law of Attraction. Her art graces the cover of Oxford Publishing’s The Oxford Handbook of Group Counseling, edited by Robert K. Conyne.

Linaji served as the expert Judge for Photographic Arts, for SoJie 15. She has selected eight special works in this category, to receive her meritous “Linaji Award”.

Her motto is: “Every day, I seek the Lover… who seems to be peeking out of every corner of my life”.

—F. A. Moore

The Linaji Gallery

Masts Away
by linaji

Anchors Away
by linaji

LINDA APPLE, a Columbus College of Art & Design scholar, has gained international recognition over her 40 year career as a full-time artist. She has been exhibited in North America, and is in notable collections worldwide.

Raised in the Appalachian hills of Southern Ohio, Linda has traveled in France, Italy, Greece, Sweden, Mexico, Canada and the U.S.A. southwest, in pursuit of art.

Ever the subtle humorist, Linda Apple’s work elicits a smile. She turns the tables on people-watching— catching the oddball pose, the fanciful mindset of a street person, a play within the play, a picture within a picture. Her bright palette and clean blocks of color simplify what might be complex detail on another artist’s canvas.

Solo Exhibition is proud to have presented Linda Apple as one of their first Solo Artists, August 17, 2009. Her show and reception was turned into a permanent gallery, The Linda Apple Gallery, which you can still visit, today.

Linda served as one of two expert Judges for Traditional Arts, for SoJie 15. She has selected nine out of 45 traditional works in the show, to receive a “Linda Apple Fine Art Award”.

— F.A. Moore

The Linda Apple Gallery

Market Day – bicycle art transportation oil painting
by LindaAppleArt

Three Along Water Street – figurative oil painting
by LindaAppleArt

ABOUT TEAM-SOLO AT “SOLO EXHIBITION”

F.A. Moore, Solo Exhibition, Founder and host

F.A. MOORE, a native of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, creates complex digital artworks, using skills honed on two decades of Photoshop™ and graphic design. Moore has recently traded pixels for brushes, focusing artistic efforts on oil painting.

Life highlights have to start with young Fran’s influence on fashion. Her personal designs pre-dated the hot pants fad (predecessor of the mini-skirt), handkerchief hems on the backside of dresses, 3 tiered balloon dresses, and more. She trained under Gary Trentham and graduated from Auburn University with a B.S. degree in Clothing and Textiles (design), after giving up majors in Microbiology and English (to the consternation of her parents), for design. Fran’s block-printed textile and a hand-dyed and knotted sisal mask went on a 100-museum tour across the U.S, in 1975-76. Meantime, her designs taken by professors to the haute couture houses in Paris became hits in the fashion world.

Fran had a successful and decorated 25-year sales career in outside business sales (mostly insurance and real estate), and took three companies public during that time. Later, her graphic design, publishing experience, and computer consulting developed, as an entirely new career path. Career clients include Shell Oil, pension fund, Det Norske Veritas Pension and Health, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Human Resources, Compaq Computer, office of the V.P., and FOG Publishing. Moore also designed software for contemporary and fine art galleries in Texas.

While Fran considers herself an innovator and application developer, she says, “I have always considered myself an artist. Creativity and vision are my strengths.”

Fran is the founder and co-host of Solo Exhibition group on RedBubble.

F.A. Moore

FAMoore-20100617-1b
by F.A. Moore

The Mona in Me
by F.A. Moore

Elizabeth Bravo, Solo Exhibition Graphics Coordinator

ELIZABETH BRAVO, a Germantown, Wisconsin girl, came to art and photography by way of taking stock in what she loved to do and admired about others. But it was round-about. “Child number 6 out of 10”, as she describes herself, was a day dreamer— walking in the woods, sitting in a “cave” of bushes, hiding in the attic from a strict, unrelenting grandmother. Fondly remembering those teachers who “saw through the mask” of the kid who seemed disinterested in learning, it was a relief to Elizabeth, when in her twenties she realized that she had a condition called “Dyslexia”. She simply needed a different learning path. One-on-one attention fed what soon became a burning passion to get more in life.

Elizabeth sees her creative mother as a huge influence. “Both my mom and dad had handwriting that looked musical. The lines would sweep and flow and I just loved to see things that they wrote.” An antique dealer, her mother may have been the quiet influence behind Elizabeth’s refurbishing a Victorian home in historic Cedarburg, Wisconsin, that went on the tour of homes, when it was completed. From this she learned she could build doors, do drywall, strip wood, build a vanity, do anything.

She credits her current husband with the support that put her squarely in the world of art— taking interior design courses, basket weaving and teaching, and finally painting. Elizabeth confides, “I went on a trip to Sweden with a friend and her sister was a painter. Every inch of her walls was covered with her work and I could see that she loved doing it… for her own enjoyment. I think that’s when it hit me. To just try and do what I love for the love of it.”

A flight attendant for over twenty years, Elizabeth debuted as a Feature Writer for Inside Solo magazine, with vol. 18. Elizabeth has shown and sold her artwork in California and had a Solo Exhibition with the group, in July, 2010. Her solo show is a permanent gallery, the Elizabeth Bravo Gallery.

Elizabeth has been both a Nominator and a Judge of Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibitions, before coming onboard “Team-Solo”, as the Graphics Coordinator, in August 2010.

—F. A. Moore

The Elizabeth Bravo Gallery

Moment of Sun
by Elizabeth Bravo

Letting Go
by Elizabeth Bravo

Maxy, Solo Exhibition Reception Manager

MAXY, a resident of New Hampshire’s beautiful White Mountains area, is bound inextricably to nature.

When she is not out exploring with her camera, meeting up with bears, or hand-feeding birds, Maxy is hard at work, during the day as an IT professional at a local University. Although we can occasionally cajole her into taking part in a painting workshop, it’s difficult to keep her “grounded”. Maxy has taken up powered parachute flying for fun, and just acquired a newer, bigger aircraft this year.

Maxy adds grace, laughter and joy to the notable art events put on by the group; and says with her usual vigor, “Art, to me is such a wonderful release!”

—F.A. Moore

Maxy

Flying high over Crawford Notch
by maxy

Solo Exhibition 2012 Workshop Schedule

Month  Workshop Theme  Catalog of…  Focus on Medium  Notice  Assoc. Exhibiton 1 
May  beauty and nature of birds P, D  Show & Tell   SoJie 15
Jun  landscape and light P, D, T P, D, T Starts June 4  SoJie 16
Jul  portrait P, D, T P, D, T    SoJie 17
Aug  abstract P, D P, D, T    SoJie 18
Sep  figurative P P, T    SoJie 19
Oct  graphic art P, D, T D    SoJie 20
Nov  seasonal photography P, T P   SoJie 21
Dec  watercolor P, D T   SoJie 22
Jan  holiday season Public Domain 2 P,D,T    Holiday Show
Feb  Mr. Squiggle N/A 3 D,T    workshop show

key: P = photography, D = digital art, T = traditional art
footnotes: (1) Workshops are loosely tied to exhibitions listed. Catalog entries and workshop translations are
not guaranteed a spot in the Juried Invitational Exhibition, but will be strongly considered if they fit both the
standard of quality and the vision for the particular show.

more info

About the Workshops

The concept behind the workshops is to challenge each individual to try something new, even daring
for themselves. For some the new and daring will be the “performance” factor prevalent in the workshops.
For others, it might be new technique, medium, or even subject matter.

The IN-PROCESS-sharing is critical to your feeling of success and personal challenge, once the two weeks
is completed. Everyone works on their own, but in a space that, not just encourages, but demands “show and tell”.

The Landscape and Light workshop

Catalog Invitation Dates – Thu. May 31 – Sun. June 3, 2012
Workshop Dates: June 4 – 20, 2012
Catalog: Landscapes, or works focused on landmarks; mostly photographs, but there may be
            digital landscapes, or traditional mediums
Goals: To produce creative works in any medium which strongly feature or suggest landscape and light.

A “Workshop Catalog” is filled by invitation only, with works already posted on RedBubble by Solo members.

Participating Digital and Traditional Artists will translate, under special written agreement with the originator,
selected works from the catalog, in a style and manner that is their own, and in their preferred medium.

As in all workshops, artists will post a series of images of work in progress, during creation of the work.

Participating Photographers will be challenged to produce new “landscapes with light”, showing key steps in
their process, while in process, through images posted to the workshop.

Guest Experts

With the “Landscape and Light” workshop, Solo introduces “Guest Experts”. Our workshops typically have a
number of experts participating. We thought it would be fun to involve some of them this year in sharing their knowledge.

We have two Guest Experts for the Landscape and Light workshop: Janis Zroback and Peter Hammer. Each one
has planned a special demo of working with light in landscapes, in their chosen medium, and will present a short
challenge for those who wish to try out some new techniques. These are totally optional but meant to be fun
and beneficial.

Both Janis Zroback and Peter Hammer will also be available to answer your “help” or suggestion questions.
They will be watching the topic and keeping a keen eye out for anyone who would like their help or ideas.
So it will be a great time to try out new techniques.

more info