Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

F.A. Moore Gallery

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 37018 posts

I found myself professionally involved with Textile Art during college years and beyond. Artistic textile design, knotting, weaving, plus block printing and screen printing original work propelled me, unexpectedly, to a large, year-long, sponsored museum tour across the U.S. At the time, because I was still in college, I did not understand its importance and value. Yet one thing was clear: a national tour was very different than the local audience of friends, family, and school chums for the cartoon drawings, watercolor, and murals that I had cut my teeth on, as a child. Most recently, professional web application programming and graphic arts have led me full circle to work again on canvas and board, this time using oils, a medium that I admire for its richness and enjoy for its challenge. I’ve come to appreciate the extreme patience required for oils, including the time needed to find and hone one’s voice.

As a lover of all visual arts, in a huge variety of styles, and no stranger to galleries and museums, it has been a tremendously rewarding experience to host two fine groups within the RedBubble community, filled to the brim with fine artists and photographers:

Solo Exhibition (founder and host)
Southern United States Artists (or “SUSA”) ( founder and host)

The purpose of my gallery, this year in Host Hullabaloo, is to feature some of these adventures in Oil painting, perhaps in a story format. In prior shows, I have presented my digital art in detail. Recently I visited my sister, who had a couple of my early water colors from (high school and college years); and thought it might be fun to share those, too, a little later in the exhibit.

Manda’s World

Manda's World
by F.A. Moore

Medium: Oil Painting
Size: 8 × 8 in. deep canvas
November 15, 2011
Scanned: @600ppi

Manda’s World channels Amanda G. Wright, the artist, as a child dreamer. One of Amanda’s canvases (Cityscape) forms the backdrop.

Sfumato, a technique employed by Leonardo Da Vinci, notably in the Mona Lisa, was used to soften, especially, the separation between face and hair. What I find compelling about this piece, besides the concept of a child-artist-dreamer, is how the warm colors coalesce to form an impassioned backdrop for a soft, sensitive portrait.

I’d like to share the work in progress through the following thumbnails:

The underpainting was black and white oil, and was completely detailed, before moving to color. I liked the underpainting so much, that I admit to being concerned with how the color phase was going. But the paint and vision ultimately win!

Bearing Gifts

Bearing Gifts
by F.A. Moore

Medium: Oil Painting on canvas board
Size: 9 × 12 in.
April 8, 2012

“Bearing Gifts” is based on the incredible wild animal encounters of a friend, living in the shadow of the White Mountains of New Hampshire, Maxy. A large Brown Bear visited her on at least three occasions in 2011, climbed her deck, raided her bird feeders and came within a foot of her to sniff her head. Once he visited while she was sunning and napping on the deck, whereupon he destroyed the squirrel feeders and dragged them through the yard, on his way out, but left her in tact. The painting of the bear is based on a photo she snapped of him gazing up at her, as he was descending the second story deck, after their first meeting. He actually has a noticeable heart shaped white spot on his chest, as in the painting. In another beautiful moment, Maxy has held an illusive Goldfinch in her hand, and captured herself on camera. You can find this image on her profile page.

Their acceptance of Maxy, and Maxy’s calming spirit may show the way to how it could be between creatures and man, if we just let go.

I felt compelled to capture her gift in this artwork, but in the spirit of the animals. Maxy has the gift of a trusting and loving spirit, to which these wild creatures were drawn. In the painting, both animal and bird present gifts to the viewer. While the Bear presents the gift of this special, beautiful Goldfinch; the Goldfinch presents the gift of a seed, held in its mouth. Will you accept?

Thumbnails below reveal some of the stages of “Bearing Gifts”, while in process:

Thumbnail #1 is from my sketch pad— the pencil sketch concept I showed to Maxy to start the process. Initial stages of painting went very fast. Instead of using color for the lighter areas, I “ragged off” the painted bear coat, scraping selectively with fingernails through paper towel to get a fur texture and off-white coloring. The artwork then sat for 5 months, before I picked up a brush, added more paint for depth, and finished the background woods.

Maxy made sure to let me know, as I was showing her comps for the background, that goldfinch like open areas, and bears like deep woods and don’t venture far from them.

In the process of researching bear paws (in order to translate Maxy’s hand holding the Goldfinch, to a bear paw holding the bird), I learned that bear paws are the closest thing to a human hand. Once the claws are gone, the skeletal structure is much the same. The logic is then that bears might be quite dexterous. I hope you enjoy your gifts.

Bali Dancer

Bali Dancer
by F.A. Moore

Medium: mixed oil on board
    oil painting over oil pastel drawing, w/ metallic highlights
Size: 16 × 12 in.
Scanned @300ppi

Bali Dancer, inspired by Komang Tony’s photograph, Motion Dancer #24, and painted with expressed permission, is an impressionistic interpretation of an expressive, interpretive regional dance.

My goals were to capture the beauty and exuberance of the exotic dance, and to get a sense of movement, without focusing on movement. To accomplish the first goal, I focused the painting on her face, makeup, and props – the fan and headdress. I took a quick, light, impressionistic approach to achieve the sense of motion.

Below, are thumbnails charting the progress:

Techniques included an oil pastel under-drawing over a white oil base, oil “washes” for a textile effect, metallic gold paint for the fan and flower highlights, glued Hydrangea flower petals, painted swirls, and blocks and zaps of color applied in a staccato fashion. You might also be interested in the journal, Making of the Bali Dancer, which I have just now made public again.

Calico’s Corner

Calico's Corner
by F.A. Moore

Oil Painting on canvas board
12 × 12 inches
Scanned dimensions: @600ppi
Released: May 21, 2011
Updated: July 11, 2011

Tabby Owns Persian

Tabby Owns Persian
by F.A. Moore

Oil painting on Canvas Board
10 × 10 inches
Scanned @300ppi

“Tabby Owns Persian” and “Calico’s Corner” look really good in the same space. “Tabby”, similar to “Bali Dancer”, was painted quickly, with thinned oil medium to get the effect of a watercolor wash. This particular abstract is a personal favorite— an unintentional combination of two of my old cats: a black and white “Sylvester” cat, and a long haired “Maine Coon” type cat.

The title pretends that the abstract might remind one of a “Persian Rug” on which the cat makes himself at home; and of course is also a play on cats. :) He’s looking at you.

Garden Variety Siamese

Garden Variety Siamese
by F.A. Moore

Medium: Oil on board w/ oil pastel highlights
Size: 12 × 12 inches
Release Date: June 25, 2011

Two Siamese cats enjoying the garden, when their person comes looking for them.

Here are some thumbs illustrating the progression of the artwork:

I loved drawing with the oil pastels. I believe they give a sketchy, and therefore richer character to the work than if I had used only oil paints. I had originally planned this as an abstract, as you can see from the early plan sketch from my sketchbook. But I got carried away with the foliage! The person’s shadow was originally stronger and a bit more ominous, so I backed off of it some in the end.

Spring Fever

Spring Fever
by F.A. Moore

Oil on Deep Canvas
10 × 8 inches
December 2011
Sold.

Portrait of cats, Mitzy and Stuart. Mitzi, the petite gray female is emotional dependent on the larger, older male, Stuart. I hope to have captured her sweet curiosity and closeness to Stuart, and to have captured Stuart’s confidence and loyal nature.

Below are some thumbnails, representing the work in progress, starting with the initial sketch I made in my sketchpad, for the composition.

The sketch and canvas did not have the same dimension ratios; so I moved the cats closer together on canvas. I followed the cats around for part of a day, taking photos of them in their home environment. Ultimately I decided to paint them as if they were inside a second story window, just above a window box of spring flowers. The deep canvas allowed me to paint the window box and brick around the sides.

Diane Johnson-Mosley Diane Johnson-... 673 posts

Frannie, this is going to be an amazing gallery, wonderful start!

Thanks for the encouragement, Diane!

Evita Evita 14839 posts

Wow Frannie I can’t wait for more… love your Bearing Gifts work… those eyes are mesmerizing… and the vibrant and beautiful colours in Bali Dancer… awesome!!!! ☺♥

Evita, you’re so encouraging too! Thanks! I may post another tonight.

Linda Bianic Linda Bianic 3213 posts

Fabulous works so far, looking forward to more!

ps… is there a cut off date to submit our galleries?

No, set cutoff, Linda. In fact, many add to their Host Hullabaloo Gallery throughout the entire year, until the next one. But now that there are more participants, we’ll be promoting Host Hullabaloo soon. I’ve been waiting for it to fill out some. The more the merrier. Do you have a time constraint, Linda? Everything okay?

Lucinda Walter Lucinda Walter 8870 posts

Frannie what a wonderful gallery. Stunning work! Can’t wait to see more.

linaji linaji 6573 posts

I love love Bali Dancer, and it is so cool how you have shown the progression, Thanks for joining in, I’ve missed the hella outta you and I almost feel normal now. Here is Bali Dancer framed in a couple ways… YUM!

Bali Dancer
by F.A. Moore

Lina, that’s so sweet. Thanks for showing these. I do have the original in a gold frame and she looks pretty good. The flowers are still attached!! :)

Still Life with Cat

Still Life with Cat
by F.A. Moore

Oil on Canvas
5 × 7 inches

Inspired by Maria Paterson’s miniature work, and her Still Life in Mirror (with permission).

Here are some thumbnails to show the process:

The first thumb was my sketchpad warmup, in watercolor. I wanted to keep the small oil painting fast and impressionistic; and the quick watercolor sketch helped me visualize that goal. The last thumb is a detail of the cat’s head.

John Holding John Holding 361 posts

Superb series Frannie, the two Siamese would be my favourite, so nicely depicts the character of that breed.

Oh, John, thank you! It’s a pleasure to hear from you. I decided I might as well group the cats together, since I have a few.

I’m glad to know you’ve picked a favorite! My sister tends to believe that Siamese have been educated in the hallowed halls of some of the finest institutions of higher education (and have the attitude to match). I really enjoyed that one as it came to life. Thank you!

Pool Cat

Pool Cat
by F.A. Moore

Oil pastel on dark peach, suede mat board
10.5 x 13 inches;
Scanned @600ppi
July 16, 2011

A fun, midnight foray in oil pastels and sunburned whiskers.

That’s it for the cats; but I’ll be adding a few more pieces soon.

Corri Gryting Gutzman Corri Gryting ... 10014 posts

Hi Frannie,
I will be back to see what else you add, but meanwhile I totally enjoyed my visit here today.

Posting my favorite here….

Still Life with Cat
by F.A. Moore

I love the colors, life and feel of it.
I especially love the cat’s face in the mirror….and as any one who has a cat knows, they do become part of the furniture and decorations. So I got a big smile from this one. Thank you. :)

Beatrice Cloake Beatrice Cloake 9336 posts

I love this cat series Frannie! You have a unique style. They are all very impressive and fun as cats should be.

@Corri, thanks for telling me your favorite! It looks good framed like that! LOL, glad it made you smile!

@Beatrice, so great of you to check in on my fledgling gallery. Thanks for noting the “fun” in the cats. It’s good to hear you say that I have a “unique style”. I seem to see one emerging, through some of these works. I wonder if it will stick or shift, as I paint more. Thanks so much for the comments, Beatrice!