Solo Exhibition

Artist solo exhibitions, juried invitational exhibitions, and workshops

SoJie 14 Workshop (locked)

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36334 posts

@Jan, basically yes. It should not be a photograph that you have already done. The point of the workshop is to do something new, in a new way, and to share that process while it’s in process.

Jan Clarke Jan Clarke 2024 posts

Thanks, Frannie, I thought it might be but figured I had nothing to lose by asking!!!!

John Holding John Holding 364 posts

@ Frannie & Kathie, thank you so much for the lovely compliments.

F.A. Moore F.A. Moore 36334 posts

You deserve those lovely comments, @John. I’m completely taken with your composition and thought behind the piece.

barrowda barrowda 2228 posts

Summary: I think this will be my final WIP (#4); to balance the composition, I’ve added what is becoming a signature touch, a “gradient flare” distant sun variation. This adds both light and color, and implies “approval” from a higher power as described in the free verse poem below – D. Barrow

Thanks Frannie and Kathie, for your comments :o))) Having a blast with this one, as I hope you can tell…this is the first time I’ve seen this gradient flare effect on a canvas background…and I really like it! :o)))

Dare to be Different (copyright 2011 David A. Barrow)
Different, for the young, or in a world of intolerance
means insecure, hiding, not good enough…
But in a supportive, enlightened world
in the confidence of age and self-approbation
Different is better than dull mediocrity
Different is ten feet tall, basking in the sun
Full of color, emanating light
Different is a leader, not afraid to be right
or wrong, or just…
Different!!!

barrowda barrowda 2228 posts

Summary: Final of digital translation of “Different” by Lana Wynne:

Dare to be Different

Thank you so much, Lana, for allowing me to translate your most inspirational work, and congratulations on having 3 completed translations!!!

Hope you like all three :o)))

Jay Taylor Jay Taylor 251 posts

AGREEMENT FOR TRANSLATION OF TRADITIONAL ART
1. TERMS. The term AGREEMENT refers to this Agreement for Translation of Traditional Art. The term ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK shall refer to the original traditional artwork, represented by the posted submission to Solo Exhibition’s SoJie 14 Workshop. The term ARTWORK shall refer to the resulting translation of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, to a traditional art medium; photographic art medium, including straight photography; or digital art medium; pursuant to the AGREEMENT. The term ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the original digital artwork. The term ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the ARTWORK which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK. The term GENRE shall refer to the general category of medium for the translated work, either “Photographic Art”, “Digital Art”, or “Traditional Art”, pursuant to Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibition guidelines. The term THIRD PARTIES shall refer to any entity not the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and not the ARTIST, who or which may come in contact with either the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK or the ARTWORK in the course of business.
2. Jay Taylor, hereinafter “ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST” grants Cynthia Fusco aka Spiritinme, hereinafter “ARTIST” the right to use “Masquerade”, hereinafter “ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK”, as a reference for ONE ARTWORK, in the following GENRE, only:* “Photographic Art”*
3. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST has not given any other ARTIST the right to translate in the same GENRE.
4. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST promises ARTIST that no stock elements or works purportedly in the public domain, or elements created by THIRD PARTIES were used within the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
5. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST retains full copyright over the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ARTWORK.
6. ARTIST retains full copyright of their own ARTWORK, which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
7. ARTIST SHOULD give credit to ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST as follows for the reference for the ARTWORK:
a. when the ARTWORK is presented in an electronic medium, ARTIST should provide in a description, when possible, a working link to ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST or ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
b. when the ARTWORK is presented in a live setting, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
c. when the ARTWORK is presented in a publication, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
d. when the original ARTWORK is sold, where the ARTIST has control, the name of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and title of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK shall be included in the invoice, description area as a reference.
8. If the ARTWORK is a near replication, or uses the composition of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, or closely follows the style of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, then the subtitle of the work SHOULD appropriately include wording like: …after xxxx’s “originating-work-title”.
Make obvious substitutions, and linking either the work, the artist’s name, or both, if links are possible, as per Paragraph 7 in this AGREEMENT.
9. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ARTIST, each hold harmless current or future THIRD PARTIES from enforcing any specific obligations between ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ARTIST.
10. No additional terms in this agreement shall negate, or make ineffective the agreement in these paragraphs, 1 – 10.
11. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST AND ARTIST have additionally agreed to the below statements:
(add additional agreements below, including any requests for larger format files, discounts on translated works, etc.)
I AGREE AND HAVE TAGGED THE WORK in the Catalogue, ACCORDING TO THE RULES.
ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST: Jay Taylor
Date: Tue. September 13, 2011
AGREED by ARTIST: Cynthia Fusco aka Spiritinme Date: Tue. September 13, 2011

Tatyana Binovskaya Tatyana Binovs... 49 posts

Hello Eddy! All the time I try to find your translation and only now can see it! It looks wonderful! I will wait for finish!
Thanks for choosing my work! And Best Wishes!!!

Eddy Aigbe Eddy Aigbe 729 posts

@Tatyana: I’m relieved that you like it :) … and the finish is not far off, thank you!!!

Sue Nichol Sue Nichol 2842 posts

Waay! Kathie Nichols is going to translate my painting into photographic art. Agreement to follow soon….bit of a time difference going on. Now I can be part of this best Sojie ever!

Eddy Aigbe Eddy Aigbe 729 posts

@Elizabeth: Boy have you peaked my interest!!! First of all, I love the proposed title and the way you personalized it. Also the beauty for me is, the way you are actually using real images fromthis true story of yours. And the way it’s looking, I’m sure you will be sharing a lot more with us from the coming WIPS. One can only leave to the imagination that what the final & finished work will be.

I’m glad & ever more re-assured that you will come out with a master piece with this one! Thanks for choosing ‘Homesick’ for your translation

Eagerly waiting for more… Eddy

Sherri     Nicholas Sherri Nic... 2900 posts

Hi Onita, thank for the congratulations and can’t wait to see Diane and what she does to my Stairs Home…
Thank you Diane, I know you will do a wonderful job…
Sherri:):)

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Announcement:

Froggatt Edge, Derbyshire
by Sue Nichol

Traditional work will be translated to Photographic Art by Kathie Nichols

Congratulations Sue and Kathie!

Anthea  Slade Anthea Slade 274 posts

Lucinda your photographic interpretation Sensual of my painting Be Careful What You Wish For is just breathtakingly beautiful. I love so much how this organic shape is undeniably and unabashedly feminine and yes very sensual. I love the subtle colours, lines, textures, the curves, the lighting. Everything is in perfect harmony and connection with my painting and poem. Congratulations Lucinda on an exceptional work and a big thank you for choosing to translate and interpret my painting. Your photographic art is outstanding.

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Announcement:

maybe she was more cat than human, she thought
by dinglegallery

Traditional work will be translated to Photographic Art by John Holding

Congratulations dinglegallery and John!

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Announcement:

Masquerade
by Jay Taylor

Traditional work will be translated to Photographic Art by Spiritinme

Congratulations Jay and Spiritinme!

John Holding John Holding 364 posts

The agreement to translate Dinglegallery’s “maybe I am more cat than human, she thought”

AGREEMENT FOR TRANSLATION OF TRADITIONAL ART
1. TERMS. The term AGREEMENT refers to this Agreement for Translation of Traditional Art. The term ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK shall refer to the original traditional artwork, represented by the posted submission to Solo Exhibition’s SoJie 14 Workshop. The term ARTWORK shall refer to the resulting translation of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, to a traditional art medium; photographic art medium, including straight photography; or digital art medium; pursuant to the AGREEMENT. The term ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the original digital artwork. The term ARTIST shall refer to the creator of the ARTWORK which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK. The term GENRE shall refer to the general category of medium for the translated work, either “Photographic Art”, “Digital Art”, or “Traditional Art”, pursuant to Solo’s Juried Invitational Exhibition guidelines. The term THIRD PARTIES shall refer to any entity not the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and not the ARTIST, who or which may come in contact with either the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK or the ARTWORK in the course of business.
2. Claudia Dingle (dinglegallery), hereinafter “ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST” grants John Holding, hereinafter “ARTIST” the right to use maybe “she was more cat than human, she thought”, hereinafter “ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK”, as a reference for ONE ARTWORK, in the following GENRE, only: Photographic Art.
(GENRE must be “Photographic Art”, “Digital Art”, or “Traditional Art”.)
3. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST has not given any other ARTIST the right to translate in the same GENRE.
4. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST promises ARTIST that no stock elements or works purportedly in the public domain, or elements created by THIRD PARTIES were used within the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
5. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST retains full copyright over the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ARTWORK.
6. ARTIST retains full copyright of their own ARTWORK, which is a translation of the original ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, and shall not lay claim to copyright of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
7. ARTIST SHOULD give credit to ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST as follows for the reference for the ARTWORK:
a. when the ARTWORK is presented in an electronic medium, ARTIST should provide in a description, when possible, a working link to ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST or ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
b. when the ARTWORK is presented in a live setting, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
c. when the ARTWORK is presented in a publication, ARTIST should provide a reference in a description, when possible, to the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK.
d. when the original ARTWORK is sold, where the ARTIST has control, the name of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and title of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK shall be included in the invoice, description area as a reference.
8. If the ARTWORK is a near replication, or uses the composition of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, or closely follows the style of the ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL WORK, then the subtitle of the work SHOULD appropriately include wording like: …after xxxx’s “originating-work-title”.
Make obvious substitutions, and linking either the work, the artist’s name, or both, if links are possible, as per Paragraph 7 in this AGREEMENT.
9. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ARTIST, each hold harmless current or future THIRD PARTIES from enforcing any specific obligations between ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST and ARTIST.
10. No additional terms in this agreement shall negate, or make ineffective the agreement in these paragraphs, 1 – 10.
11. ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST AND ARTIST have additionally agreed to the below statements:
(add additional agreements below, including any requests for larger format files, discounts on translated works, etc.)
I AGREE AND HAVE TAGGED THE WORK in the Catalog, ACCORDING TO THE RULES.
ORIGINATING TRADITIONAL ARTIST: Claudia Dingle
Date: 14/9/2011
AGREED by ARTIST: John Holding
Date:14/9/2011

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Okay… I’m translating Key Hole Arch En plein air by Randy Sprout to a Photographic Translation.

Key Hole Arch En plein air
by Randy Sprout

Here is my WIP 1

I used my washing machine’s top lit for my base. My husband was really upset when I’ve asked him to unscrew it from the machine… :-) I was really upset that he couldn’t understand why I was doing this! He asked if I next time going to ask him to strip the oven for me to take pictures… !! Well, I really don’t know why I asked him, for I could’ve done it myself… ;-)

I painted the background onto a piece of cloth…

I bend an old wire for the keyhole rock, and glue some pebbles to it with my glue gun…

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

WIP 2 of my Photographic translation of Key Hole Arch En plein air by Randy Sprout

I arrange some sand, pebbles and small rocks to shape my beach scene

Beatrice Cloake Beatrice Cloake 8429 posts

Joseph your work is incredibly beautiful! I love the horse so very much!

Thank you for your comment about the painting of the boats. Watercolour is unprecdictable and it either go right or wrong and so I am holding my breath.

Your own painting is sooooooo gorgeous in the vibrant Oil colours! It is a real challenge to interprete it my way :)

Lucinda what a great job you have done too!
Danilo, this is stunning!

annihoo annihoo 231 posts

Summary: First step (pencil sketch) by doing a traditional art translation of “maybe she was more cat than human, she thought” by “Claudia Dingle”.

My title might be: “Suddenly The Hunter felt hungry”.
First sketch and I am having little doubts in my mind if this is the right direction. I enjoy very much that peaceful feeling in Claudias painting. My naive art style is not peaceful at all. It is actually quite lavish because it is going to be very colourful and characters may be a bit whimsy. Will I do justice to Claudias wonderful art?! Ha ha: “Suddenly The Drawer felt inadequate” :D Do you guys never have this kind of days?!

I am also having flu now (I think I got it from Lilynoelle ;D), that is messing my head.

Gili Orr Gili Orr 810 posts

@ Lana – cat and broom… mmm… does it make me a witch? ;-)

Dianne  Ilka Dianne Ilka 986 posts

@ Annika – I had heaps of those days in the sojie 12 & 13 workshops and I was definitely not alone! There were even complete restarts. Your work is going to be amazing!

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Summary
My final of Key Hole Arch En plein air by Randy Sprout

Model Key Hole Arch En plein air
by Qnita

Okay… I find me some leafs to use as trees, and some small plants. I add some blue paint to the water and some washing powder… My little on made me some waves with the hairdryer…

thank you Randy for the opportunity to translate your work! I hope you like it!

Qnita Qnita 5555 posts

Hi everyone! Wow! Great WIPS here!! Congratulations to everyone! So sorry I don’t comment on each one separately… I’m running between SoJie 14, my own translation and homeschooling my little one… I will catch up some time!